Reviews of Wilderness Lodge (Deluxe Resort)

A Disney Deluxe Resort in the Magic Kingdom Resort area. Connected by path to Ft. Wilderness.

For full details, Fact Sheet, Photos and Videos visit: http://allears.net/acc/faq_wl.htm

Reviewed by dandnmom Review Date: 02/11/2013

After trying Value & Moderate Resorts on prior vacations, booked a room at the Wilderness Lodge. The greeting was wonderful - didn't even have to check in- the package was brought to us and we were oriented to the Lodge. WOW - what incredibly beautiful surroundings. No theming detail was missed.

Paid extra for a Courtyard View - this was a waste of money! Was on the second floor - only saw trees off the balcony w/ a glimpse of the pool & nothing of the geyser or lake. Food in quick-service was very good but the actual serving area was much too small for a resort of this size. Food service staff was best we've ever met.

On second to last day, my son (who has Asperberger's type problems) had a meltdown which involves crazy levels of crying - the Manager saw this and interferred - said he couldn't have any situations where children were obviously upset by their Parents. Tried to explain son's needs and interventions - he didn't listen. He threatened to call Authorities if we didn't follow his advice and separate our son from the rest of the family for the night - ruined everything!!

Next time - will do Moderate or Value where we can spread out and have more privacy - if our son gets overwhelmed and starts to have a meltdown, will be able to just walk him around the resort which is all he needs to calm back down!!

Pros:

beautiful surroundings

Cons:

manager interefered; upgraded room not worth $$

Reviewed by derf92 Review Date: 11/18/2015

My fifth visit and first time at a deluxe hotel - very disappointed. bus transportation was terrible - boat transportation was great but it only goes to magic kingdom. housekeeping was awful. my sister had a woods view - housekeeping left her patio door open and when we got home later that night her room was filled with bugs and mosquitoes. quick service restaurant did not ofer many options and they were the same all week. It's an okay place if you are planning a short trip only to magic kingdom and epcot. I was excited to stay there but if given the choice between Wilderness and a moderate, I will take the moderate.

Pros:

close to magic kingdom

Cons:

bus transportation terrible

Reviewed by Cheesetony Review Date: 11/21/2016

The Wilderness Lodge has been on my bucket list for a long time, so perhaps my lower rating should be taken with a grain of salt. I'd built up expectations for years. The resort is beautiful. The theme is great, and you really feel like you're in the Pacific Northwest from the moment you enter the lobby. We especially loved the pool, and the splash area was perfect for my 3 yr old DD and 8 month old DS.
Unfortunately, I was really surprised by how thin the walls were, especially for a deluxe resort. Our neighbors were night owls, and they woke us up every night when they returned from the parks and the cranky kids argued about going to bed. One morning, I had to call down to the desk because we could hear their alarm going off for about 15 minutes.
I loved having the option of taking a boat to the Magic Kingdom, which we did several times. They also had boats to Ft. Wilderness and The Contemporary. We took advantage of this one night to eat dinner at Chef Mickey's.
If we decide to stay at a Deluxe Resort again, I will probably save a little longer and try to choose something on the monorail loop.

Pros:

Location, Transportation, Beautiful

Cons:

Construction, Thin walls

Reviewed by brian222202 Review Date: 08/12/2015

Second stay at Wilderness Lodge. We had a great room (5167 if anyone wants a primo view of Bay Lake). But with WL rooms, expect significant noise from pool, boats traffic, movies on beach, and water pageant. Rooms were adequate but sparsely decorated. And furniture looked worn and old. WL rooms surely need an upgrade, and quick. AND, most disturbing, was lack of adequate charging stations for electronics and phones. Most hotels now have as standard charging stations on desks for multiple electronic devices.

Check-in/out and concierge staff was efficient and friendly, bag handlers at beginning and end were talkative, attentive and friendly.

Pool was nice, and well-staffed by lifeguards.

Whispering Canyon this trip was good, not great. No wait staff on our night seemed really into it, not just ours, just seemed a rather dead night. Roaring Forks is adequate, but nothing to rave about, in the least.

Boats were a hidden joy, riding the boats back from MK at night while watching WISHES may have been the highlight of our trip. Buses on other hand were sporadic and often crowded, and I cannot believe the amounts you pay for DELUXE RESORTS and you cannot get your own bus. Deluxe Resorts should not have to share buses in my opinion.

All in all, still a great resort, just nothing that stood out. There were no magical moments--for instance the one towel animal received was a simple one-rag mouse (adequate but not memorable)--although there were really good moments. This resort still is impressive, and I would even say worth the Deluxe prices, BUT there needs to be an upgrade in service to provide those magical DISNEY memories.

This seemed to be a theme throughout our vacation. Everything was very good, but nothing this time around that was truly magical--with exception of Yak & Yeti, San Angel Inn, and Rose & Crown. WDW was great, just needs that extra little bit that they are known for, it seemed missing this trip.

Pros:

Views, Friendly Staff, Trans. to MK & lake resorts, Pool

Cons:

Trans. to everywhere else, Roaring Forks,

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/27/2018

we recently spent a week at Kidani.

Pros:

Loved seeing the animals from our balcony. Loved that we had a 1 bedroom and it had 2 full baths. Loved the décor and the atmosphere. Staff was friendly and helpful

Cons:

we had a LONG walk to our room and it was only about half way to the end. Also it seemed the bus service was lacking-we had long waits many times for our bus.

Reviewed by Joel0917 Review Date: 09/26/2018

My wife and I came here on our anniversary. We loved the northwest feel of this resort. The pool and geyser are awesome. there are some very good food choices here as well. We loved taking the boat to the magic kingdom. We were also fortunate to be here one day when a rocket launched and we saw it leave cape canaveral.

Pros:

The norhtwest feel of it. It really is unique.

Cons:

a little isolated.

Reviewed by tsteckert Review Date: 11/13/2016

I've lost track of how many times we've stayed at Wilderness Lodge, but this was at least our seventh visit. While it suffers from not being on a monorail (I will say that bus service has improved immensely), we enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. Our room has always been in excellent condition (note that refurbishment is going on as I write this), Artist Point is among my very favorite Disney restaurants, and even the Roaring Fork quick-service restaurant has scrumptious sweet rolls at breakfast. (Hey, I burn off calories at Disney World!)

However, during our past stay, management changed the opening time of Roaring Fork to 8:00. With parks opening no later than 9:00, and sometimes earlier, that just doesn't leave enough time to eat breakfast, take bus/boat/monorail transportation, and arrive in time for that early FastPass+ you requested months earlier. This shows a disregard for customer service that is rare for Disney, especially in a "deluxe" resort with a price tag to match, and seems to me to reflect a penny-pinching attitude. (Our room also didn't have a clock radio this time around. Coincidence?) Granted that half the resort was closed for renovations, but how much money does the late opening save at the cost of customer service? Compounding that, Whispering Canyon, the full-service family restaurant, opens at 7:30 but of course takes longer, and reservations appear to be limited.

Although seemingly a small thing, that late restaurant opening left a bad taste in my mouth, and next time we may check out other resort options.

Also, my wife, in particular, and I objected to the volume of a loudspeaker used for pool-area activities. This made it very difficult to take a nap, and parents with young children needing naps should take notice.

Pros:

Pleasant atmosphere; improved transportation

Cons:

Food service availability; noisy pool area (loudspeaker)

Reviewed by CupcakePrincess Review Date: 02/03/2015

My husband and I stayed here on our Honeymoon from 1/4-1/9. When we arrived, the breathtaking Christmas tree and all the other wonderful Christmas decorations were still up. They remained up until our last night, which was such a treat! We explored the resort one night and found an area above the lobby with fireplaces! It was secluded and we ended up relaxing there listening to the mur murs of everyone below for a good solid hour.

I was worried that the beds would be too hard for us. We are tempur-pedic bed snobs so conventional mattresses really tweak our backs. This was probably the best conventional mattress I've laid on. Probably the best hotel mattress I've ever experienced.

We requested a room near the elevators, and they ended up putting us on the other side of the resort next to stairs. The stairs were convenient, but took a toll on our bad knees. We were situated on the 3rd floor, with a woods view facing the villas. On the left we could see some of bay lake and on the right we could see the villa's pool. It was a gorgeous view. Another positive was the chairs on the balcony. I was nervous that my large bum wouldn't fit, but we encountered all the chairs with armrests at that resort to be plenty big for my large bottom.

Be sure not to miss the electrical water pageant. It was adorable. The night we saw it, it was so cold and so windy. We went and got hot chocolate and plopped ourselves on the beach to enjoy it as much as we could. The music and the lights were cute and enjoyable!

We did have a negative experience with someone at the front desk, but another cast member ended up saving the day for us.

The boat to and from the Magic Kingdom is fantastic. The buses are the worst possible thing though. They are far and few in between and when they do show up, they take you to another resort to pick up more guests. The whole bus situation was frustrating that we took our car to the parks after that.

I hope to stay here again in the future!

Pros:

Confortable Beds, Comfortable chairs

Cons:

buses,

Reviewed by Hamill04 Review Date: 09/23/2013

We stayed here for the first time September 15th-20th. The resort itself is beautiful-everything is clean, plenty of lifeguards, pool activities, dining options. Our housekeeper did an amazing job keeping everything stocked. The boat to the Magic Kingdom takes about 5 minutes to get there and is a beautiful ride. We previously stayed at Pop Century and it seems that except for the buses, you really get what you pay for. Pop was literally a motel with bus service- food court was a mess, we constantly had to call for more towels/shampoo, no activities that I saw. Buses, however- I'm all for saving money where you can but I think a Deluxe resort should have Deluxe bus service. We never really had to wait for a bus(maybe 5-10 minutes tops) but the bus makes multiple stops before you reach your destination. Our trip to Animal Kingdom took 40 minutes!!! We had to stop at either the Floridian or the Campgrounds, then the water park and then on to the Kingdom. I might be a little biased because I have horrible car anxiety but if you can get a direct bus at a Value, you should be able to have it at a Deluxe.

Pros:

Beautiful Resort

Cons:

Bus routes

Reviewed by Gadawggirl Review Date: 02/17/2013

Our first time at the Lodge and it's soooo nice! I hope to be able to stay there again. We have stayed in the value and the moderate resorts and this place blows them out of the water! Quite and relaxing place. Only disappointment was that the 6th floor balcony is a wall and not a rail so you have to stand up to see the view. We had a courtyard view.

We took our bikes this year and was able to ride them to Ft. Wilderness Campground where we ate breakfast one morning.(de-lish) We rode about 10 miles just looking around the campground.

You can see the light parade from the beach at night.

Buses were good and I enjoyed that you can take the boat to Magic Kingdom.

Roaring Fork was a great place to grab a quick bite.

Pros:

Room, decorations, lots to do.

Cons:

6th floor balcony, boat horn