Reviews of Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge (Disney Vacation Club)

A Disney Vacation Club Property adjacent to the Wilderness Lodge in the Magic Kingdom Resort Area.

For full details, Fact Sheet, Photos and Videos visit: http://allears.net/acc/faq_wlv.htm

Reviewer: allec999 Review Date: 11/03/2017

My home resort. Always a good place to stay. Two issues this time: 1) Friends stayed in a separate studio, and their bathroom floor would flood a bit, so they used their towels to deal with it. When they called for extra towels, they were told it would be for a fee. I understand that towel service is a pre-set schedule and otherwise costs a fee, but they should have at least asked why towels were requested. Had I known I would have dealt with it, but my friends did not say anything until their last day. Still, a little disappointing. Also - twice the bus for DHS was well over a half-hour wait.

Pros:

theming

Cons:

towels, bus to DHS

Reviewer: spunkyfunk Review Date: 11/03/2017

We stayed at Boulder Creek in a dedicated 2 bedroom villa (room 5537) for 6 nights in August 2017 as a prelude to our cruise on the Disney Dream.

We were DVC members staying on points and this was our first time staying at BCV. We have stayed at other DVC resorts and typically make AKL - Kidani Village our choice but we decided to switch it up and give the Wilderness Lodge a try.

Our group consisted of my husband and I our two boys (14 and 12) and 75 yr old Mother.

I'm so glad we did. Here are the things we loved about it.

1. Atmosphere/Layout
Our villa faced the lake and the Boulder Creek pool and it was pretty quiet there. If you wanted to join in on pool activities you could go over to the CC pool which was a very short walk away. I felt like there were plenty of spaces to explore but none were too far away to be inconvenient.

2. Activities
We rented bikes and rode to Fort Wilderness stables and around the camping loops. The ride was so nice and we had a good time exploring. We also rented searays (small boats) and that was highlight of the trip for my 12 yr old who was old enough to drive his own. The pool areas were very nice and well maintained. Several shady cabana type areas available. We also took advantage of roasting marshmallows at the fire pit on a few occasions as well as hung out waiting for the Geyser to erupt on the hour.

3. Geyser Point Grill and Territory Lounge
We made use of both the Geyser Point Grill and the Territory Lounge several times during our trip. Cast members were friendly and the menu was good. GPG had a very relaxing respite from the sun. I loved the décor of the Territory Lounge and they had good local beers to try. We also made our way to the raucously wonderful Whispering Canyon Café and our server did not disappoint.

4. Common area in the Boulder Ridge Section
There were fun little places to gather and play board games or wait for others to meet up.

We did not make a lot of use of the buses since we had a rental car that made travel to parks/Disney Springs or other resorts easy. We did take the bus to the Magic Kingdom and it was a quick short ride. WL is so close to the Magic Kingdom it made sense to use the bus.

My husband and I both agreed that we found a new favorite place to stay. Hope this helps anyone doing future planning. Boulder Creek was a big thumbs up for us.

Pros:

Geyser Point Grill / Quiet Atmosphere / Lots to do

Cons:

Buses to all theme parks

Reviewer: amitch91 Review Date: 09/25/2017

I have to preface this that WL is our favorite resort. I love the closeness to MK, as well as multiple modes of transportation. This was our first stay at BR - rented points. We will definitely do it again, and hope to buy into DVC.

We had 5 adults (myself, my husband, and 2 adult children, one future DIL). The plan was for the two girls to share the bedroom, our son to have the pullout couch. Let me just say, the couch was extremely uncomfortable. So, I let my son stay in the bedroom with his sister and fiance' (separate beds - sorry I'm still old school). The couch was even uncomfortable to sit on, in my opinion - so if you plan on using the pull out, I'd only recommend for a small child. I understand that the couch is easier to keep clean, but if you plan on spending any time on it, I'd go to GP or the lobby for more comfortable seating.

We loved having the kitchen - I ordered Garden Grocer delivery, and made breakfast every morning - saved money and calories. :) Also loved having laundry facilities right in the room. It was a walk from the bus stop, or from the boat (Rm 3553), however, we felt it was an easier walk than at Pop from the 80's to the bus stop or food court.

Another plus was having 3 tv's! :) For our afternoon nap/relax time, there were 3 different shows on in 3 different rooms!

This was the worst time we had with buses - we waited 40 minutes on two separate occasions for buses to HS and to EP. At AK departure, we had to wait 45 minutes for a bus to arrive, completely fill up to standing room only, then change out drivers, with an inspection mixed in. If we had had reservations, we would NOT have made the reservation - over an hour wait with all. We love the boats to MK, however, we even had one evening headed back to MK that we had to wait through 2 boats loading because there was no enough room on the boats for all that were standing in line waiting. One night there were people in rented pontoons that were blocking the way for the boats to even get to MK - we had to back up to let another MK boat through, and then coast because 3 pontoons were blocking the path for the boats. I was surprised that they let rented vessels out after dark.

We still love it - would go back today. But thankfully we can return, and do often, so we aren't as worried about getting everything in as others.

Pros:

Atmosphere, location, kitchen

Cons:

Buses

Reviewer: Fishfamily Review Date: 08/29/2017

We are DVC members, but renting the points was in the $1700 range. Boy is this place worth it! First you start with the theming, which is everything it's cracked up to be. The lobby is spectacular. Now it is true that being in Boulder Ridge you're a little disconnected from the main building, but it's a short walk over.

We ate breakfast at Whispering Canyon, that was a blast. We ate lunch at both Roaring Fork (good food, very pleasant dining area) and Geyser Point. Geyser Point is right on the water and it's spectacular, I wish I'd gone back for drinks at night but we were there in August and the heat was oppressive.

Having two pool options is great, the smaller pool was almost deserted and the showers are sparkling new.

The thing I underestimated about the Wilderness Lodge is proximity to the parks. I knew we would have the boat option to Magic Kingdom, and that was great, but they go to the Contemporary as well. And the bus rides to Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood studios were 15 minutes or less! That is a huge deal in the morning when you have excited kids or at night when everyone is tired. Pile on top of that that this is a deluxe hotel and there are fewer people at the bus stop (1st bus is yours and you get a seat) and the premium is easily justified.

One night we stayed outside for the movie and you could see the fireworks from MK and in true Disney style, they piped in the music. It was really special.

We've stayed at All Star movies, Port Orleans French Quarter, Animal Kingdom, Saratoga Springs and Boardwalk and the only one that comes close is AK. But the transport times for WL put it a cut above AK which has the long bus rides. This is a fantastic hotel. I can't wait to go again.

Pros:

Location, theming, pools

Reviewer: lauri Review Date: 06/26/2017

We just returned from a week stay in a two bedroom villa. The villa was roomy, comfortable, and beautiful. We were very close to the bus stops, and not far from the main lobby. Unfortunately Roaring Forks was not open, so our main quick service option was Geyser Point. It was okay, but a fairly limited menu. The main pool was not terribly interesting, and I guess I expected it to be better. The newest pool opened the last night we were there, so we did not get to check it out. We had no problems with transportation, and had great experiences with the cast members there.

Pros:

Beautiful and Roomy

Cons:

Main pool is a little blah

Reviewer: annat856 Review Date: 02/17/2017

My family of 6 stayed here December 11th through 16th last year. We rented points. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa. It was recently refurbished and we loved the rustic wilderness theme. Now that our kids are becoming young adults this was a great place that we could spread out and feel relaxed. We did get woken up a couple of mornings from construction around 8:30 am. But for the most part we were not disturbed by the construction going on. The walk from the elevators was pretty long. The villa lobby was very cozy and a great place to hang out and play games or sit by the fire. The Wilderness Lodge itself is one of our favorite resorts and getting to see it all decorated for Christmas was wonderful! Overall one of the best disney vacations ever! Can't wait to go back!

Pros:

Lots of space and pretty decor

Cons:

construction

Reviewer: Michelle Norris 67 Review Date: 09/07/2016

Stayed in 2 deluxe studios first week of August. Absolutely loved it. Nice quiet place to get away from the bustle of the parks. The seating for the quick service has been expanded. Even though we were in close proximity to the construction, we were never bothered by the noise. Will definitely stay here again.

Pros:

Quiet, proximity to MK

Cons:

Reviewer: John Review Date: 12/05/2015

We love the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge. I always find the staff to be very courteous and helpful with any questions of problems that I might have. We have always found the rooms to be very clean and even though we normally arrive about 10:30AM we are able to get into our room right away. The only downside is that sometimes the bus service is a little slow.

Pros:

Great Ambiance and excellent Staff

Cons:

Bus service

Reviewer: tinkiebell Review Date: 11/10/2015

We love the ambiance of the WL and were happy to be able to stay here again. This really is our favorite DVC property at WDW. I can spend hours walking the grounds or hanging out in the lobby. Our 1-bedroom villa was comfortable, clean, and well-stocked. We only ate at Roaring Fork and it was fine. The grounds were always clean and well-maintained. If you drive as we do be prepared to use the bell services or spend several trips hauling your bags a long way as there does not seem to be any close parking here as there are with other DVC properties. Also, be aware that the tub, while luxurious, is part of the master bedroom and not completely private. I was disappointed that one cast member at the concierge desk seem to argue with me, in a courteous manner, about my request (I was pursuing the request based upon another cast member's instructions). I think he just wanted to be "right" but it was very aggravating.

Pros:

Easy trip to MK, quiet and relaxing

Cons:

It's a long walk to your car; bus service is slow

Reviewer: lrd907 Review Date: 02/24/2015

Needless to say we were shocked at the condition of the villa we stayed in January 4 & 5, 2015. While clean it really looked old and showed it wear. This was our second time staying at the WLV's and were less than impressed. We are DVC members and are thankful we have the opportunity to stay in various locations from time to time. Certainly Not Worth The Points Cost!!

Pros:

Very attractive loby and like ease of boat transportation.

Cons:

The Villa we stayed is showing it's age!!