Recipes Collard Greens Port Orleans French Quarter
8 pounds collard greens, cleaned, stems removed
.5 gallon water
10 ounces Neuskes bacon or smoked brand of your choice
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
.25 ounce black ground pepper
1 ounce apple cider vinegar
.5 ounce ham base, mixed with 8 ounces of water, making a stock
.4 ounce paprika
1.25 pound yellow onions, diced 1/4 inch
Method of Preparation:
1. Saute the bacon in a large hot pot, stirring until fat starts to render.
2. Add onions. Keep sauteeing until the bacon is crispy.
3. Add cayenne, black pepper and paprika.
4. Deglaze with the ham stock and vinegar.
5. Add the water.
6. Add salt to taste and let cook until tender, slightly al dente.