Recipe Chocolate Eclairs Boardwalk Bakery Boardwalk Resort
NOTE: Submitted recipe did not include chocolate glaze or instructions for assembling eclairs.
2 cups Water
1 cup Canola oil
3 cups All purpose flour
10 each whole eggs
Method of Preparation:
1. Bring water and oil to a boil.
2. Add flour and stir until combined, continue cooking until mixture starts to pull away from sides of pan.
3. Take off heat and allow to cool slightly, add eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporate before adding next egg, mix should have smooth constancy (if you have a kitchenaid, place dough in mixer with paddle and add eggs one at a time).
4. Pipe into éclair shape with piping bag and large round tip.
5. Bake at 400*F for 15 minutes, drop temp to 350*F and continue to bake an additional 30 to 35 minutes. Éclair should not be glossy.
For Pastry cream:
2 cups Milk
¼ cup Cornstarch
¾ cup Sugar
2 each Whole eggs
4 each Egg yolks
4 tablespoons Butter (soft)
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1. In a mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the milk with the cornstarch, mix until dissolved. Beat whole eggs and yolks into cornstarch mixture, and mix until incorporated.
2. Combine the remaining milk with the sugar in a saucepan; and bring to a boil; remove from heat.
3. Pour 1/3 of the boiling milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, and strain.
4. Return the remaining milk to a boil. Pour into hot egg mixture in a stream, whisking constantly.
5. Pour back into pot and continue whisking until the cream thickens and comes to a boil. 6. Pour the cream into a stainless steel pan over an ice bath, and add butter and vanilla. Mix until butter is melted.
7. Press plastic wrap directly against the surface, so it won't form a film. Chill immediately.