Recipe Blue Crab and Butternut Squash Soup Narcoossee’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Yield: 8 6-oz. servings
1 ounce butter
4 ounces onion, diced
1 ounce garlic, diced
Fish or lobster stock (see recipe below)
1 pound butternut squash, skinned and seeded, then diced
1 ounce all-purpose flour
1/2 cup 2-percent milk
1/8 ounce Thai curry paste
1/8 ounce salt
8 ounces blue crab, canned
1 cup heavy cream
1. In saucepan, saute onions and garlic in the butter.
2. Add stock (see recipe below) and squash and cook until squash is tender.
3. Puree in blender or food processor, return to saucepan and add heavy cream.
4. Mix flour and milk together, add to the squash mixture and let thicken.
5. Add curry paste and season with salt and pepper.
6. Add crab meat before serving.
Note different squash or even pumpkin can be substituted. You can add shrimp and lobster instead of crab.
Fish or Lobster stock:
4 pounds fish bones or lobster shells
2 gallons cold water
4 black peppercorns
1/2 pound onions
1/2 pound celery
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon thyme
Combine all ingredients and bring to boil. Lower heat, simmer for 45 minutes. Strain broth. Store broth in refrigerator or freeze until needed.