Recipes Honey Crunch Cake California Grill Contemporary Resort
Yield: 8-10 servings
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons each: water and corn syrup
2 1/4 teaspoons sifted baking soda
Honey Simple Syrup
1/2 cup each: water and sugar
2 teaspoons honey
Honey Whipped Cream
3 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
5 tablespoons honey
1. For cake, heat oven to 375 F. Combine milk and butter in pan on low heat, stirring, until butter melts. Remove from heat. Mix flour and baking powder. In bowl, whip eggs to break up. Whip in salt. Gradually add sugar, whipping until mixture lightens. Add extracts. Gently whip in milk and butter mixture. Fold in flour mixture in 4 additions, mixing until smooth after each addition. Pour into buttered and flour-dusted 9-inch pan. (Line with buttered parchment paper, if desired.) Bake 15-20 minutes.
2. For crunch, combine water, sugar and corn syrup in pan. When temperature reaches 310 F, whisk in sifted baking soda. Turn off heat.
Let mixture rise up without stirring. Pour onto a Silpat mat. Cool completely. Break into pieces; store in airtight container.
3. For syrup, bring water and sugar to boil. While still warm, whisk in honey. Refrigerate.
4. For cream, whip cream and sugar on medium 2 minutes. Add honey.
Increase speed. Whip to medium soft peaks.
5. Cut cake in half. Drizzle bottom layer with syrup. Spread whipped cream on bottom layer. Arrange honey crunch on whipped cream and press into cream. Spread with a little more whipped cream. Set on top layer.
Drizzle syrup on top layer. Frost top and sides with remaining whipped cream. Keep cake in refrigerator until ready to serve. Serve with remaining honey crunch.