Reviews of Skipper Canteen

View Menus at Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen Dining Location

Cuisines: Asian, Other/Ethnic, African
Read more about Skipper Canteen including links to the menus and reviews here:

Themed around the famous Jungle Cruise attraction, this new Adventureland eatery features a wide variety of Asian and American dishes.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/20/2019

This is great, anti-theme park food. It's probably a little too \"out there\" for some picky eaters, but when you reach the park of your trip where another hamburger seems like a death wish this is a great place to go and have some actual food. Plus, they really ham up all the kitch from the Jungle Cruise. The inside is themed so well, and the AC is always blasting

Pros:

Diversity of asian fusion flavors, theming

Cons:

The siu pork was pork with a glaze, not actual siu pork (different cooking methods)

Reviewed by NC-Dad Review Date: 09/15/2019

We ate here on 9/08/19 for lunch, after our FP+ for Jungle Cruise. The menu here is very diverse and exotic, but don't let the descriptions scare you away. The food and flavors in the dishes seem incongruous at first, but the overall taste of the dishes is wonderful.

My wife has a gluten allergy, and this restaurant has the most extensive Gluten Free (GF) menu anywhere. She had the GF Fried Chicken and loved it. She said she would eat it all day if she could.

Being a seafood lover, I had the seafood stew, and it was wonderful as well. The jasmine rice and the coconut sauce complimented the seafood incredibly well. I would eat this dish for every meal if offered to me.

We both had the "quicksand" dessert and loved how light the rice pudding is. Neither of us are big rice pudding fans, but we were impressed by the overall quality. The sauce provided a nice tartness that complimented the rice pudding well. The "cookie" on top is light and sweet, and is also GF.

If you have never eaten here, you absolutely must. The serving staff is wacky, much like the Jungle Cruise captains are. The humor is exactly the same, and adds a playful twist to the dining experience.

Pros:

Exotic flavors, Large GF menu offerings, Funny Serving Staff, Great Food!

Cons:

Not your typical theme park fare (if you consider that a "con")

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/02/2019

We are adventurous eaters in our family (our kids eat spicy Indian and Chinese food since toddlers) so we all loved this restaurant. I gave it 8/10 only because it isn't as amazing as say Jiko or Flying Fish. 2 of us are vegan and thought the vegan dishes were really great. Older son got a seafood stew and said it was really good.
Daughter 12 still raving about chicken soup from kids menu. Boring people who just want to eat as much meat as possible probably won't like this place. If you think Applebee's-type places have great food them you probably won't like this place. If, however, you like Thai food, Indian food and other flavorful cuisines, then you will find some good dishes here.

Pros:

Best vegan food at MK, not crowded at non-peak times

Cons:

"exotic" and "spicy" for boring people who love meat

Reviewed by PamI Review Date: 06/15/2019

On this last trip to WDW (5/27/19-5/28/19), I decided to eat at one (or more) of the restaurants in The Magic Kingdom. I am Lacto-vegetarian (milk products, no eggs) and looked at the menus for the various restaurants. I made reservations stating I was allergic to eggs and found some items to eat before I arrived. The staff was friendly, asked if I had been there before, did their spiel about the ride (I liked it), did not repeat the second day (but would have if I asked). The table was ready, liked each time, I felt respected, even though I was a single diner. The second day, I was given the allergy friendly menu (I knew what I wanted the first day). I told my server I wanted the one dish with noodles and I was told a non-egg noodle could be substituted. I did not feel rushed, each server was attentive and friendly, there was little to no wait for my table, the food was delicious.

Pros:

Friendly, attentive staff; good food. Food allergy friendly. Good vegetarian dishes.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 05/19/2019

We were in Orlando for the Megacon, Comic Book convention and we decided to pop into MK for dinner and a couple of rides.

Skipper's Canteen was a new-to-us restaurant and it was a definite treat. The menu is South Pacific inspired with a few curry based dishes. Prior to writing this review, I tried finding other reviews of this place and found that the reviews were not favorable. My experience was different as I found the food to be tasty and the atmosphere an extension of the famous Jungle Cruise. Further, we were told as we were leaving that many of the artifacts on display came from the Pleasure Island Adventurer's Club, a place I enjoyed years ago.

To the food specifically: my daughter and I shared the Falafel appetizer; 5 fried falafel balls with a decent amount of hummus and thinly sliced radishes. This was really delicious and had a spice level that let you know it was there but was not overwhelming.

After the appy, DD had the Seafood Stew and I had the Char Siu Pork.

Ok, so maybe DD did not choose wisely as she did not fully enjoy her meal as much as I enjoyed mine. I am pretty sure she did not like the mussels and she said the calamari were a bit tough. This dish also had shrimp, scallops, a prawn, and some octopus chunks. The stew was a little spicy with a coconut curry flavor.

My pork was very nicely cooked and flavored. It included three nicely sized slices of pork and three smaller chunks making it pretty substantial in that manner. The pork was flavored in a sesame soy glaze that was not overly salty and imparted a nice flavor to the meat. Where the dish fell apart was the single stalk of Chinese broccoli and a small scoop of steamed rice. In my humble opinion, either a second stalk of broccoli or a stir fry of mixed vegetables and about 50% more rice would have made this dish much better. Don't get me wrong, I didn't leave hungry. But, it seemed chintzy to me.

So overall, our experience was positive but there is room for improvement.

Pros:

Theming!

Cons:

Easy to make bad selections.

Reviewed by JBinKS Review Date: 01/18/2019

SO and I ate dinner in the delightful S.E.A. room. Loved the decor, plus like dining in smaller rooms. I had the Sustainable Fish and she the “Baa Baa Berber Lamb Chops”. Both had unusual and delicious flavors, particularly in the sauces. We are adventurous and love to try new things, and this was one of our top WDW dining experiences. Service was excellent, too.

Pros:

Adventurous menu, Kungaloosh! one of best chocolate dishes ever.

Cons:

Shu Mai dumpling appetizer not as great as rest of meal.

Reviewed by jessicahs Review Date: 11/08/2018

This was our second visit here on 10/31/18 with a party of 10. Service was excellent and food was awesome. It is great for more adventurous eaters but they were happy to customize stuff for us as well. The kungaloosh dessert was fantastic. I recommend the Hardee Har Har pork - it was wonderful! The monkey bites kids dessert (frozen chocolate banana chunks) was great too. We will return.

Pros:

Food choices, good service, cool ambiance

Reviewed by smsdls Review Date: 09/30/2018

If you love the Jungle Cruise ride then you’ll enjoy this restaurant. The jokes at Skipper Canteen are similar to that of the Jungle Cruise. I’ve always been able to get in here and feel it’s one of those great overlooked locations. The food is great and service has been outstanding at the many times I’ve visited.

Pros:

Great food, unique selection.

Cons:

I don’t have any Cons

Reviewed by Lori Review Date: 09/29/2018

Great meal! Great service-our server was great with our kids and funny. We will definitely eat here again.

Pros:

great food and service

Reviewed by Jason V Review Date: 09/29/2018

Cool theme. The times I've been here the wait staff was very iterative and goofy like the captains of the Jungle Cruise ride. Food has an Asian theme and is good, not the best but good. Has a lot of cool Jungle Cruise stuff to look at.

Pros:

Can get a last minute reservation. Wait staff are in character and interactive. Can see cool Jungle Cruise theme items.

Cons:

none really to give, always had a good experience here