Reviews of Skipper Canteen

View Menus at Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen Dining Location

Cuisines: Asian, Other/Ethnic, African
Read more about Skipper Canteen including links to the menus and reviews here:

Themed around the famous Jungle Cruise attraction, this new Adventureland eatery features a wide variety of Asian and American dishes.

Reviewed by PamI Review Date: 06/15/2019

On this last trip to WDW (5/27/19-5/28/19), I decided to eat at one (or more) of the restaurants in The Magic Kingdom. I am Lacto-vegetarian (milk products, no eggs) and looked at the menus for the various restaurants. I made reservations stating I was allergic to eggs and found some items to eat before I arrived. The staff was friendly, asked if I had been there before, did their spiel about the ride (I liked it), did not repeat the second day (but would have if I asked). The table was ready, liked each time, I felt respected, even though I was a single diner. The second day, I was given the allergy friendly menu (I knew what I wanted the first day). I told my server I wanted the one dish with noodles and I was told a non-egg noodle could be substituted. I did not feel rushed, each server was attentive and friendly, there was little to no wait for my table, the food was delicious.

Pros:

Friendly, attentive staff; good food. Food allergy friendly. Good vegetarian dishes.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 06/09/2019

This new restaurant in MK was what I was looking forward to all trip. The menu shows loads of promise for the restaurant, with all the jokes and references to the ride, but upon arrival, my party and myself were highly disappointed with the theming, atmosphere, and food quality..

Pros:

The waitress was really kind and did everything she should

Cons:

The steak was chewy and bland, and the seafood stew was monoflavored, with all of the different seafood tasting the exact same. The different pieces of seafood tasted old and like it had been marinating together for a long time. The atmosphere was highly disappointing, with no references to the ride. It was a very serious-acting restaurant that just felt old and stuffy. The theme seems to fit better with the lobby of the Tower of Terror

Reviewed by EleanorofAquitaine Review Date: 05/21/2019

We tried Skipper Canteen for the second time on May 18th. Our first experience was hit and miss, so we wanted to give them another chance, but unfortunately, this time was even less successful. Our party was seated quickly, and they let us come in even though we were a half hour early for our reservation. The theme is fun, the decor and the corny jokes works as a connection to the Jungle Cruise. I appreciate that there's space to breathe, as the tables are not crammed together, and that the noise level is manageable. But right off the bat, small things bugged-- for example, I am a cancer patient using a mobility scooter, which I had to leave a small distance away from the entrance to the restaurant, even though last time I was able to park it much closer. I understand that they have to do something because of the many scooters and wheelchairs being used these days, so I was okay with that, but then they seated us in the furthest room of the restaurant, with only one table further back then the one where they seated us. We passed dozens of empty tables (it was not yet 5 pm) and my husband asked if our party could be seated there so I did not have to struggle to walk so far. The hostess walking us back just made a joke and kept us moving. Our server did the usual corny joke patter, which is fun, but was terribly inattentive. water glasses were not refilled, I could not get her attention to replace a dropped napkin, and we were never offered a dessert menu although I was really looking forward to dessert.

Our meals were not ample or high quality enough for the prices they command. There was no bread offered. When my DH ordered salad, he was told the dressing was "a bit spicy" and was asked if that would be okay (no mention os what would happen if it were not okay, btw). He said it would be fine but the dressing was made with extremely hot aji peppers and left quite a long aftertaste of pure heat (I sampled it at his request, as did another member of our party of 4). That should be an alternative, not the main dressing. I'm also not crazy about the current fascination with wedge salads at WDW, but the salad was deemed adequate. His soup, a coconut curry, was odd but enjoyable. My steak was cooked properly medium rare, but had some gristle. The accompaniments left a lot of be desired-- the flavor of the chorizo was a bit overpowering and it was mainly beans and sausage, with only a smathering of veggies and the reduction sauce that was said to be included as well. A nice roll or piece of bread would have been appreciated. Another in our party had the steak as well and he enjoyed it. The fourth in the party had the lamb chops, which consisted of two tiny chops. She said they were good, but it would have been nice to have third since they were so small. Again, more of the accompaniments would have been appreciated. Our waitress, who had been cracking jokes when she explained the menu, was not personable at all throughout the meal and simply dumped the check without offering dessert, which we would have ordered. Oh, and the tea is terrible. It's bad enough that Disney doesn't offer sweet tea, but the unsweetened tea is awful.

Pros:

nice decor and plenty of space

Cons:

lackluster and inattentive service, uneven food that was too expensive for what you get (and I am used to paying a lot at Disney, which is fine when the flavor and quality merit the price).

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 05/19/2019

We were in Orlando for the Megacon, Comic Book convention and we decided to pop into MK for dinner and a couple of rides.

Skipper's Canteen was a new-to-us restaurant and it was a definite treat. The menu is South Pacific inspired with a few curry based dishes. Prior to writing this review, I tried finding other reviews of this place and found that the reviews were not favorable. My experience was different as I found the food to be tasty and the atmosphere an extension of the famous Jungle Cruise. Further, we were told as we were leaving that many of the artifacts on display came from the Pleasure Island Adventurer's Club, a place I enjoyed years ago.

To the food specifically: my daughter and I shared the Falafel appetizer; 5 fried falafel balls with a decent amount of hummus and thinly sliced radishes. This was really delicious and had a spice level that let you know it was there but was not overwhelming.

After the appy, DD had the Seafood Stew and I had the Char Siu Pork.

Ok, so maybe DD did not choose wisely as she did not fully enjoy her meal as much as I enjoyed mine. I am pretty sure she did not like the mussels and she said the calamari were a bit tough. This dish also had shrimp, scallops, a prawn, and some octopus chunks. The stew was a little spicy with a coconut curry flavor.

My pork was very nicely cooked and flavored. It included three nicely sized slices of pork and three smaller chunks making it pretty substantial in that manner. The pork was flavored in a sesame soy glaze that was not overly salty and imparted a nice flavor to the meat. Where the dish fell apart was the single stalk of Chinese broccoli and a small scoop of steamed rice. In my humble opinion, either a second stalk of broccoli or a stir fry of mixed vegetables and about 50% more rice would have made this dish much better. Don't get me wrong, I didn't leave hungry. But, it seemed chintzy to me.

So overall, our experience was positive but there is room for improvement.

Pros:

Theming!

Cons:

Easy to make bad selections.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 04/15/2019

Server was totally humourless. Other tables had a jokey, convivial server but not us. Food average. Won't be back

Pros:

Cons:

None if you get a decent server

Reviewed by Bamma Review Date: 03/15/2019

Food was ok

Pros:

Easy to get in

Cons:

Found out why Robert was worst server EVER!!!

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/31/2019

We would not eat here again. Sadly, we really wanted this restaurant to meet our Disney expectations. The food is sub par at best and was far too salty for my taste.

Pros:

Clever design to incorporate the Jungle Cruise ride.

Cons:

Terrible food, inattentive server

Reviewed by JBinKS Review Date: 01/18/2019

SO and I ate dinner in the delightful S.E.A. room. Loved the decor, plus like dining in smaller rooms. I had the Sustainable Fish and she the “Baa Baa Berber Lamb Chops”. Both had unusual and delicious flavors, particularly in the sauces. We are adventurous and love to try new things, and this was one of our top WDW dining experiences. Service was excellent, too.

Pros:

Adventurous menu, Kungaloosh! one of best chocolate dishes ever.

Cons:

Shu Mai dumpling appetizer not as great as rest of meal.

Reviewed by jessicahs Review Date: 11/08/2018

This was our second visit here on 10/31/18 with a party of 10. Service was excellent and food was awesome. It is great for more adventurous eaters but they were happy to customize stuff for us as well. The kungaloosh dessert was fantastic. I recommend the Hardee Har Har pork - it was wonderful! The monkey bites kids dessert (frozen chocolate banana chunks) was great too. We will return.

Pros:

Food choices, good service, cool ambiance

Reviewed by sand935 Review Date: 09/30/2018

More non-fried items on the menu
They did let me order from the kids menu

Pros:

beautiful decorations

Cons:

needs come conservative offerings