Recipe Fire Roasted Corn Spoon Bread The Crystal Palace Restaurant Magic Kingdom
Yield – 6-8 servings
1 fresh poblano pepper minced
1 yellow pepper, small, diced
1 red pepper, small, diced
1/2 red onion, small, diced
2 1/2 cups roasted or grilled corn
1/2 oz. butter
1 TB sugar
3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
3/4 TB black pepper
2 tsps. kosher salt
1 quart milk
1 quart heavy cream
4 cups corn meal
4 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
4 egg whites
1. In a pot over medium heat, sweat peppers, onions and chilies in butter.
2. Add spices and stir to incorporate.
3. Add milk and cream. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat. Slowly whisk in corn meal. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until it thickens.
5. Remove from heat.
6. In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and buttermilk.
7. Temper yolk mixture and add back to base.
8. Completely cool corn meal mixture in the refrigerator.
9. Remove from refrigerator and break into small pieces. Leave at room temperature.
10. Whip egg whites to soft peaks. Fold into corn meal mixture and place in a baking dish.
11. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown.