Reviews of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (Magic Kingdom)

Each year Mickey hosts the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party in the Magic Kingdom. This is a hard ticket event -- meaning you need to purchase a separate ticket for entry (just like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). The Magic Kingdom is transformed into a fun spooky haven for trick-or-treaters of all ages.

Requires separate admission ticket.

Fact Sheet and Current Information/Blogs Photos/Videos: http://allears.net/tp/mk/mnssh.htm

Reviewer: Anonymous Review Date: 12/18/2018

Way too many tickets sold for the night of October 31, 2018. Cast members were not as efficient with crowd control for the first parade. Ride and candy lines were long with 30 minutes plus wait for most rides. Enjoyed the interaction with the Haunted Mansion "ghosts".

Pros:

Park was decorated for Halloween Good candy

Cons:

Too many people for this day of the event!!!!!

Reviewer: Nat Review Date: 09/30/2018

We enjoyed MNSSHP. We all got to dress up and collect candy and meet the seven dwarves! Great night!

Pros:

Candy!

Cons:

Lots of people

Reviewer: manatee2420 Review Date: 10/07/2016

My husband, parents, and I attended on September 18th. We made a special trip from Georgia to celebrate. I have long wanted to go to MNSSHP and, being my 30th birthday that day, the timing finally seemed right. To say I had high hopes would be an understatement. I mean, to finally go to my favorite place on earth in the fall and on my birthday no less!

The party seemed much more crowded than I expected. As a teacher bound by school schedules, my husband and I usually go to Disney during the peak summer dates everyone bemoans online as terrible times to go. The September parties were touted online as so much less crowded and more pleasant. I honestly thought the crowds were equal to the most crowded summertime dates. Lines for everything were long. I hated how there were no wait times posted for characters. We waited over an hour to see the Seven Dwarfs. That was to be expected. But, we also waited over an hour to see Minnie/Donald/Daisy when the line appeared to be half as long as the Seven Dwarf line. If we had known it was to be that long, we would've gone and done something else. The line for the MNSSHP pin was at least a half an hour. We didn't stand in it. No pin was worth that after just spending over 2 hours waiting for characters! Best decision we made all night. There were even lines to get your picture taken by the Photopass photographers, which I never saw before!

Following some advice I read online, we intended to watch the later shows as they were "less crowded." Unfortunately, the weather rolled in. They ended up canceling the castle show (before the storm even hit the area) and postponing Wishes indefinitely once the rain poured. We ran for Pirates of the Caribbean, rode it with no wait, and then huddled under the exit area since the trick or treat stations were closed (due to being outside) and we didn't want to be stuck in an inside character line if the rain stopped and Wishes got started. It seemed really dumb to me that Disney would plan a party during hurricane season with so much that gets closed down (trick or treating, shows, character greetings that were mostly outside) when the rain comes. At least put the trick or treating inside somewhere...

The silver lining is that a quarter of 12 the rain stopped. Disney did show Wishes followed immediately by the second Boo to You Parade without the Headless Horseman. The Hocus Pocus show was canceled. I would advise everyone if there is any hint of rain in the forecast (which there probably will be) to ignore any advice you might read online and see the first show of everything. It might be more crowded, but at least you'll get to see it!

So, the party didn't live up to my expectations and I feel hesitant recommending it. Why isn't maybe a choice? If you don't care about characters, the experience would probably be more pleasant since those lines were longest. Most of the rides had short lines, but if you're there to ride, then go during the daytime and skip the extra fee. Dressing up was fun, although it was hotter than expected and polyester doesn't breathe well at all even though my costume was sleeveless. I might consider trying this another year with a different touring plan to see if the experience is better. If it's the same or worse, I won't be attending MNSSHP anymore.

Pros:

Unique characters, great atmosphere, great shows

Cons:

Crowded, weather

Reviewer: TeacherGrandma Review Date: 09/20/2016

I attended the party on 9/16/16, a Friday night. It certainly was festive, and many costumes were almost professional looking. I had no idea people went all out on their costumes. There was a lengthy torrential downpour just as the party began, which lead to standing room only in the Emporium. I thought it was quite crowded (more crowded than 2 of the Christmas parties I attended last year). There were lines for candy, lines for photos, lines for party merchandise, and humungous lines for characters! Wait times for rides were pretty low. Hallowishes was amazing! The Celebrate the Magic was the same version shown every night. I was unable to see the show, which is supposed to be great, and saw most of the second parade on Main Street (could see easily; crowds low). The 5 hours of the party goes by in a flash. Some tough decisions need to be made.

Pros:

Stunning Hallowishes Fireworks

Cons:

Wicked Crowded

Reviewer: MouseBound4 Review Date: 10/29/2013

We attended MNSSHP Friday night, Oct. 25th. This was our 5th MNSSHP in 10 years. Most enjoyable this visit was definitely the fireworks. Outstanding! Prior to the fireworks was an amazing light show on the castle. We very much enjoyed seeing the creative costumes, especially the groups who dressed as a theme. Each year we see more and more of the adults dressed in costume. Even though so many people were crammed into the park, those people were not on the rides because the ride lines were short or nonexistent. Now for the negatives. The ticket price goes up every year, with nothing to show for the increased cost. It was very crowded, more so than any MNSSHP we attended in the past. The parade is the same year after year. Same music, same floats. Surely they could change it up a bit. Most of the restaurants and shops closed too early. The times and places were not posted for characters. There were so many people leaving the park at the end of the night, it took literally hours to get back to our resort. I agree the party is something you should attend at least once, but those who have already attended in the past may want to consider how best to invest their vacation funds.

Pros:

Fireworks, light show on castle, creative costumes

Cons:

Crowded, nothing new in parade, price increase

Reviewer: Gingy160 Review Date: 01/08/2019

Oh my goodness did we have fun! We attended our very first MNSSHP on 10/30/18. Yes, it was crowded, but no worse than a low-medium crowd level day. We had a blast trick-or-treating (estimate of 15-18 pounds of candy between the three of us) and seeing everyone's costumes -- loved all the dads dressed as Maui. My husband was an Oompa Loompa and my 9 year old son was Willy Wonka, so they were quite the hit with other party attendees. We loved the parade, fireworks, and and special Halloween Magic Shots. We didn't bother with any rides, and sadly didn't get to see any characters. There's always next year!

Pros:

Costumes, parade, so.much.candy.

Cons:

Price, crowds

Reviewer: dreams Review Date: 10/07/2018

I gave MNSSHP an 8 because we did not go on any rides, see any characters or trick or treat. Speaking as two seniors we went to see the parade, show and fireworks. We have been to WDW several times in October but that was pre MNSSHP so this was our first time. We just visited the Magic Kingdom in December so we did not feel the need to go on any rides. We attended on a Tuesday night and it did not feel overly crowded. I did alittle shopping first, wanted to get the event pin and them we found a spot we liked in the central hub and waited for the first Hocus Pocus show to start. The weather prevented the show from finishing but was so good we hoped the weather wouldn't prevent the second show from going on. We watched the parade which was very cute and the song does get stuck in your head for the evening. The second Hocus Pocus show came on and was fabulous, we really enjoyed it. Hocus Pocus is one of my husband's favorite movies. The fireworks were spectacular. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and for the two of us the price wasn't bad.

Pros:

The Hocus Pocus show and fireworks

Cons:

lack of food choices, eat before you go

Reviewer: Disney nut Review Date: 09/29/2018

fun times

Pros:

its fun and we love candy

Cons:

don't think its worth it

Reviewer: Claire Review Date: 09/29/2018

Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party is a must do once or more if you want to. It's uniqueness of not being scary at all for the little ones makes it fantastic for all ages. The Boo To You Parade is absolutely a must see and you find yourself singing Boo to you... Happy Halloween on the way out. The firework show is a different show with theming of villains and is customised for the party. Wait times for rides are short compared to the daytime. You can spend all day in the park if you have valid general park admission for that day and roll into the party early. The park is alot quieter. You can dress up for this event but it is not compulsory. We all bought Halloween themed T-shirts and Mickey Ear pumpkin hats to wear on the night. Character greets are awesome they are dressed in their best Halloween attire. Personally I think it is a lot of money to pay if their is more than two of you and I would not pay to go again but I do recommend you try it once. Tick it off your bucket list, it is one to experience and see for yourself.

Pros:

The candy is good you get loads each stop and they have tokens to collect insted of sweets for dietary requirements which you take to guest relations

Cons:

Kids get tired. My son was morngy and he ended up taking a long nap in the stroller while we went trick or treating for him. I recommend to try and get kids to rest at some point in the day before this event.

Reviewer: disfam4 Review Date: 09/27/2018

This was our first year to attend. It was a Sunday evening but I still thought there were alot of people. The early parade was very crowded and people came and stood in front if others that had been waiting in their spot for a while. We did enjoy the trick or treating, tons of candy handed out. Only rose a handful of rides and those wait times were pretty low. Sampled several treat special to just party night, the Jack Skellington pop was my favorite. Make sure you watch fireworks, very good!

Pros:

Lower ride times, lots of candy, special fireworks

Cons:

Very crowded, maybe need to lower amount of tickets sold