Recipes Southern Black Eyed Peas Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort
2 Cups Black Eyed Peas
6 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Cups Bacon, diced about ¼ inch
1 Each Onion, diced ¼ inch
1 Tablespoon Garlic, minced
½ Tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
15 Each Thyme Sprigs, leaves picked
Kosher Salt, to taste
Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Sherry Vinegar, to taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Cover the Black Eyed Peas with the chicken stock and simmer until tender, about 45 min to 1 hour. Do Not Salt the liquid.
2. While the peas are simmering, render the bacon in a separate pot over low heat until most of the fat has rendered out. Strain off half of the fat and discard.
3. Add the onions to the pot with the bacon and sweat until translucent, 1 to 2 minutes on low heat.
4. Next add the garlic and sweat (cook it down slowly, with no color) about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the thyme, red pepper flakes and ham or bacon scraps and sweat another 5 minutes. Continue to stir.
5. Once the peas are tender, strain off the cooking liquid and reserve. Allow the peas to cool on a sheet pan.
6. Add the cooking liquid to the pot with bacon and onion mixture. Simmer about 30 minutes or until it has developed flavor and has picked up the smokiness of the bacon.
7. Add the peas back to the liquid and season with salt, pepper and a touch of sherry vinegar to taste.