Recipes Red Snapper in Escabeche Barcelona, Spain
2 pounds red snapper fillets
Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 red onion, julienned
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced
Pinch chili flakes
1 bay leaf
1 stalk celery
1/2 sweet red pepper, julienned
1/2 sweet yellow pepper, julienned
1 carrot, julienned
1/2 cup sliced Spanish olives
1 tablespoon capers with brine
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon olive brine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon sugar
Coarse salt, to taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Season the snapper fillet with salt and pepper. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the snapper until lightly browned on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and put the fish into a shallow glass dish.
2. Drain oil from the skillet, return it to medium heat and add remaining olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili flakes and bay leaf.
3. Add celery, red and yellow peppers and carrots and cook another 2minutes. Stir in olives and capers.
4. Stir in the white vinegar, Sherry vinegar and olive brine.
5. Add chicken stock, sugar and salt and bring to a boil.
6. Spoon vegetables over snapper, then add vinegar sauce. Serve hot or cool to room temperature and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.