Recipes Pavé de Maracujá (Passion Fruit Mousse Cake) Rio de Janiero, Brazil
Serves 8 – 10
48 champagne finger biscuits or lady finger biscuits
2 cups sweetened condensed milk
6 large egg yolks
1 cup fresh or bottled *unsweetened passion fruit juice
6 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
1 cup milk
Method of Preparation:
1. Arrange the biscuits in a 2-quart bowl to cover the bottom and sides. Remove biscuits from bowl and set aside.
2. Blend condensed milk, egg yokes, and juice in a food processor or blender for 1 minute. Add the mascarpone cheese and blend on high until smooth. Cover the bottom of the serving bowl with 1 cup of the mixture; set aside.
3. Pour the milk into a separate bowl. Reserve 6 biscuits for the topping, then quickly dip the remaining biscuits one by one in the milk (do not soak biscuits or they will fall apart). Place moistened the biscuits on the bottom and sides of the serving bowl, fitting snugly side by side.
4. Add half the remaining passion fruit mixture and cover with another layer of soaked biscuits. Top with remaining passion fruit mixture.
5. Crumble reserved dry biscuits and sprinkle over the top.
6. Cover and chill for at least three hours before serving.
* Unsweetened passion fruit juice can be usually found in the organic section of your local grocery store. Pavé is the French word for a dessert consisting of layers of sponge cake and filling.