Recipes Crema Catalana Barcelona, Spain
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
7 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
Method of Preparation:
1. Whisk cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of milk in a small mixing bowl until cornstarch is completely dissolved.
2. Whisk in egg yolks, lemon peel and orange peel. Set aside.
3. Stir together remaining milk and 6 tablespoons of sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until mixture begins to boil. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and continue stirring for 3 to 5 minutes, or until mixture starts to thicken and begins to bubble.
4. Pour into 6-ounce ramekins, dividing equally. Allow mixture to cool, then chill overnight in refrigerator.
5. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle ramekins with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
6. Arrange ramekins on baking sheet and broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until sugar bubbles and turns golden brown.(You will need to rotate the baking sheet a few times to ensure even browning.)
Note: you can use a hand-held kitchen torch instead of the broiler the caramelize the sugar topping.