Recipes Crawfish Etouffee Food & Wine Festival, Louisiana
1 pound cleaned crawfish tails, commercial kind
¾ cup water
1 stick margarine or butter
1 heaping teaspoon all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 heaping tablespoon tomato puree
1 med ium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
2 lemons, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon green onions, finely chopped
Method of Preparation:
1. Use a saucepan with a tight fitting lid to etoufee. Season crawfish tails with salt and pepper, set aside.
2. Melt butter, add onion, and cook over m ed ium heat until tender.
3. Stir in the flour and blend well.
4. Add water, lemon, tomato puree and garlic. Cook slowly, about 20 minutes and add a little more water occasionally.
5. When sauce is done, add crawfish talks, cover with a lid.
6. Cook 8 minutes.
7. Season with salt and cayenne pepper again.
8. Add green onion and parsley and cook 2 minutes longer.
NOTE: Etouffee is French for smother.