Recipe Sweet Potato and Hazelnut Gratin Artist Point Wilderness Lodge
Yield: 16 servings
12 oz. heavy cream
3 oz. Panko bread crumbs*
6 oz. maple pancake syrup
16 oz. hazelnuts (3 cups)
3 oz. unsalted butter
6 oz. brown sugar
4 lbs. fresh sweet potato
2 1/2 tsp. salt
*NOTE: Panko are Japanese bread crumbs, and can be found in many Asian markets.
1. Peel and slice (5/32") sweet potatoes. Set aside in bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a sauce pan, place butter, syrup and cream. Warm and stir until ingredients are blended.
4. Toast hazelnuts until golden brown. Coarse chop.
5. In a separate bowl, mix nuts, brown sugar, salt, and panko. Place 1/3 of this mix over potatoes.
6. Pour 1/3 of liquid over potato mix until all is coated. Put in 9" x 13" casserole (sprayed with Pam cooking spray).
7. Pour remaining liquid over potatoes. Cover with lightly oiled parchment.
8. Bake for 60 minutes.
9. When 3/4 done, remove parchment. Pour remaining hazelnut mixture over potatoes. Cook until tender and a crust has formed, about 20 minutes.
10. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes.
246 calories per serving.