Recipe Peeky Toe Crab Cakes Flying Fish Cafe BoardWalk
6 cups soft fresh bread crumbs
1 pound lump crab meat, picked over
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup each finely chopped red and green bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 poblano chile, trimmed, seeded, and minced
4 large egg yolks
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 3/4 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground pepper, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
5 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
Chile Remoulade (recipe HERE)
1. In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups of the bread crumbs, the crab, red onioins, bell peppers, scallions, mayo, poblano chili, egg yolks, lemon juice, parsley, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, and cayenne.
2. Form 28 crabcakes, using about 2 TB crab mixture for each, shaping to about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
3. On a plate, stir together the flour and the remaining 1 tsp. salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, with a fork, lightly beat the eggs. Place the remaining bread crumbs on a plate.
4. Dip each crabcake into the flour, shaking off the excess, then into the egg, shaking off the excess, and finally into the breadcrumbs, shaking off the excess. Place the crab cakes on a baking rack.
5. In a 12-inch skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the crab cakes, in batches, and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until browned and crisp. As the crab cakes are cooked, remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; keep warm. Repeat to cook the remaining crab cakes, adding more oil as necessary. Serve with Chili Remoulade.