Recipe Moussaka Baked Eggplant Greece Epcot
Yield: 6 Servings
For the Eggplant
3 medium sized eggplant, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices, lengthwise
3/4 cup olive oil
For the Meat Filling
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
3 tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tsps chopped fresh oregano
1/4 tsp ground allspice
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Bechamel Sauce
4 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
Pinch of ground nutmeg
2/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
Ground white pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Arrange the eggplant slices in one layer on baking sheets, without overlapping. Brush both sides with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes, turn over and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden. Set aside to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
3. For the meat filling, heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat and add the onions, garlic and lamb. Use a fork to break up the meat and cook it until it is browned, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining filling ingredients and cook for 20 minutes, or until the moisture has evaporated.
4. For the Bechamel sauce, melt butter over low heat in a medium-size saute pan and stir in flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly.
5. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth. Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
6. To assemble the Moussaka, cover the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with an overlapping layer of the eggplant slices. Spread one third of the meat mixture over the eggplant, and then sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the remaining cheese over the filling. Repeat with 2 more layers of eggplant, meat and cheese. Spread the Bechamel over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
7. Bake for 1 hour or until the top is bubbly and golden. Remove from the oven and let it rest for a least 20 minutes before cutting and serving.