Recipe Apple and Jicama Salad Boma Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yield: 8 servings
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Jicama, peeled and julienned
1/2 cup Red Onions, diced
1/2 cup Radish Slices
4 cups Spinach or Mixed Greens, washed and spun
Port and Yogurt Dressing
2 ounces Port Wine
8 ounces Yogurt
1. Wash apples. Cut in half and remove seeds. Cut all halves into slices. Place in a mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
2. Place apples on a grill on low heat to caramelize and impart some of the smoky flavor. Chill grilled apples and set aside.
3. Wash and peel the jicama. Cut into slices, then julienne. Place in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the red onions, radish slices, and spinach. Remove the apples from the refrigerator and cut into large dice. Place in bowl.
5. To make the dressing, place the yogurt in a bowl and add the port wine. Mix well.
6. Take the yogurt dressing and add to the bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix and serve.
Note: Peaches may be substituted for apples.