Reviews of Yachtsman Steakhouse

Full Service Dinner

Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/yachtsman-steakhouse/dinner
Child's Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/yachtsman-steakhouse/child-dinner

Reviewed by Imjustababyduck Review Date: 10/08/2014

We ate here on 9/24/14. My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. We were seated within 10 minutes of arriving, but after that everything went downhill. We had spent the day drinking in Epcot and did not order alcohol so maybe that had something to do with our supremely crappy service that was only surpassed in its crappiness by the quality of the food we were served.

We shared the lobster bisque that was thin and fishy -- just not good at all. We powered through it telling ourselves this was a steakhouse and we shouldn't expect to the seafood to be fantastic (even if it was a waiter recommendation).

My husband got the dry aged Kansas City Strip Steak (that was, once again, recommended by the server as "the best and most flavorful steak on the menu -- as well as one of the most expensive at $55.00 for just the steak). It was by far the worst steak he has ever eaten, A steak at Western Sizzler would have been better. It was tough and lacked the succulence of a great steak. Without a great steak flavor you would think they would at least season it to give it some flavor, but nope. I'm not sure that they even used any salt or pepper to season the steak. I'm sure your wondering why we didn't send it back for another steak. The reason is simple: it was late, we were tired, and it took 2-25 minutes for our soup and OVER 45 minutes between our soup and entrée. We didn't feel like waiting another hour for another steak.

I ordered the filet and it was fine. Not great, but fine. I certainly had much better filets and I have had worse. I must admit I did have a sour taste in my mouth for this place by this point in the evening. My husband ate from my plate and left his steak uneaten. When the server (finally) came to take the plates he never even commented on my husband's uneaten steak.

We had ordered dessert already and dreaded having to wait for it. Again, an extremely long wait. The dessert was the crème brulee' which I love. This was not good. Not even ok. We shared this and again left the majority of it in the plate.

We received no apologies for the long waits, nor did the server check on us during those times. No water refresh, no anything. We watched him wait on other tables and found him to be somewhat more attentive to them than to us. We saw people (and larger groups than 2) seated after us and finish well before us.

We generally will give a place at least 2 tries before we say we are not going back. Not this time. The Yachtsman managed to fully hit each and every thing you can do wrong during what should be a signature dining experience. We will not ever be back. I'm not sure I would go back if I was eating a fully reimbursed meal. It really was that bad.

Pros:

It was in our hotel

Cons:

Everything else

Reviewed by rbadenov Review Date: 02/18/2014

2/17/2014
We have eaten here several times in the past for special celebrations and usually had a satisfactory experience; however, after our Valentine's Day experience I doubt we'll ever go back.

We had a reservation several weeks in advance and arrived on time. There were several people ahead of us in line to check in and when we got to the hostess stand the hostess never said a word or looked up, just kept us waiting about 5 minutes before looking up, asked my husband his name and made a remark about his simple name and told us there would be a 20 to 30 minute wait for our table. After 40 minutes and, noticing several parties had been seated who came in after we did, my husband checked with her again and she told him, oh, sorry, we seated someone else at your table by mistake! Let me add here that she seemed to be really nice to young people and treated older couples with contempt (we're in our early 60's). Once we were finally seated it was very late and we were very upset with how we had been treated. No manager to be seen anywhere, no apology for anything or any attempt to make up for poor treatment. Our waiter, Ricardo, was pleasant but disappeared for long periods and we had to ask several times for our water to be refilled. By the time we finished the restaurant had pretty much emptied out and it was after 10:00.

We have traveled the world and eaten in wonderful restaurants and judge our dining experience by how welcome we are made to feel, the quality of service and lastly, the food. Yachtsman has lovely food but failed miserably on the other important areas! For a very expensive meal on a special occasion, go somewhere else such as the Flying Fish Cafe. . . We've never had a bad experience there. We won't be returning to the Yachtsman Steakhouse.

Pros:

Food is delicious and beautifully presented

Cons:

Hostess is rude and wait times long even with reservations

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 03/24/2019

Steaks tough. Charcoal crust over powering. Had better at Outback.

Pros:

Wine was excellent.

Cons:

Aged steak substandard.

Reviewed by kimpf1 Review Date: 11/20/2013

We dined here on 11/15/13. We make it a point to eat here each time we visit. We had a party of 7. 4 adults and 3 children under 9. Our server was Bill and he was very good. We had to wait over 25 min from our reservation time but we sat in the Crew Cup Lounge and it was really no issue. As usual my husband ordered the ribeye, inlaws filets, myself ribeye. We did have the Caesar salad which was good but much smaller than in the past. My husband had a very bad piece of meat delivered to the table. He requested medium rare and it was medium well and a very thin cut compared to mine. Our server noticed his displeasure immediately and had another steak brought over. The 2nd one was better but still a thin cut and still over done to his liking. For the cost they should have gotten it right the first time. Truthfully my husband had been looking forward to this meal all week and the manager did follow up and did take his steak and glass of wine off the bill which was great but disappointing that he did not get a great meal. This used to be a great place to dine but over the past few times it has been inconsistent, which is a shame

Reviewed by LISAE Review Date: 08/24/2014

Ok so I have to confess it is a little difficult to be objective about this meal as during the ordering process our server was sadly taken ill. Thankfully it appeared to be nothing serious but following an ambulance being called we were very shocked and the atmosphere was dreadful. Our new server tried very hard to keep us informed and to lighten the atmosphere and for that she should be applauded, however, despite being compensated with a complimentary truffle mac n cheese the entire meal left a bad taste in the mouth and we should in hindsight have bitten the bullet and left.
We all ordered the Kansas strip and I believe we had no complaints but it didn't taste as good as last trip. The truffle mac n cheese is an amazing side and worth a visit alone.
The desserts weren't brilliant choices for our picky 12 year old so she was able to order the white chocolate puzzle off the kids menu which she enjoyed.
Our original drinks order we did not re-order because of the situation so we stuck with soft drinks.
It would be unfair for me to give the mark of 2/3 which we all agree we feel as I am sure our loathing of the meal was not the restaurants fault.
Hopefully our server is now fit and well but we probably will not return. Sorry!

Pros:

difficult situation handled reasonably

Reviewed by Fitzboyzmom Review Date: 07/28/2013

I am really on the fence about this place. The service was really good. We arrived early and were seated right away, which was nice. The food was good, but so, so heavy. We spent the rest of the evening walking around Epcot trying to walk it off, but felt full late into the night. If you are looking for a nice steak covered in butter and sides that are fairly heavy also, this is the place to go...the food was very good, just too heavy for us. Don't think we will return.

Reviewed by wendybarrie Review Date: 05/23/2013

I was very much looking forward to this meal, and it was good, I just don't think our bill matched our meal. We are okay paying $40-$50 for our steaks but I believe it was our wine selection that may have derailed our experience. There is a section labeled zesty red or something to that effect but when trying to select our waiter had us choose a Zinfandel which typically we like zinfandels but this bottle, was eh, and of course sometimes you only need one catalyst to make everything eh. Will try Flying Fish next time we are in the area, and may follow someone else's suggestion of having a meal at the bar where you will be served some Yachtsman choices without the reservation etc.

Reviewed by Teach52 Review Date: 04/24/2019

Steaks were best we had all week. Great wine selection

Pros:

For the price you pay, I believe ambiance needs work. Would like maybe dimmed lights and soft music to enhance the experience.

Cons:

Parents who let their kids run around table at nice restaurant. Had family seated next to us and I don’t think son sat down but ran around table all night.

Reviewed by Sandy Review Date: 09/30/2018

Have been here twice. On our first visit, we had the best steaks we have ever had in our lives! Amazing, best meal ever. Our waiter was great, gave us some recommendations that didn't disappoint. Went back on our next trip expecting the same, and was kinda let down. Our waitress was horrible, and that put a damper on the meal. Our steaks were still good, but not the amazing steaks we had the first time. Will try it again in the future, with fingers crossed.

Pros:

Good food

Cons:

pricey

Reviewed by DePasquale Review Date: 07/06/2016

I know it's hard to not give a 10 to this famous steak house but I was a bit disappointed with my Kansas City Strip. The service was great, the round table for our party of six was perfect but still, a 10 is a 10.

Pros:

Round tables for 6

Cons:

Didn't love my Kansas City

Other topics in Yacht Club