Reviews of Yacht Club Resort (Deluxe Resort)

A Disney Deluxe Resort within walking distance of Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios.

For full details, Fact Sheet, Photos and Videos visit: http://allears.net/acc/faq_yc.htm

Reviewed by sreynolds5 Review Date: 08/03/2013

Our family of 5 -- 3 teens, 2 parents-- stayed 3 nights in July. We were very comfortable in a standard room. Our 13 yr. old (5'1") enjoyed sleeping on the daybed & could stretch out completely. I would recommend the daybed for children & petite adults only.

There were minor "flaws" in the room, such as a couple of scuffs on the wall, one place where the wallpaper was coming loose, etc., but these things were barely noticeable and overall the room was beautiful and very clean.

We all had a great time swimming in Stormalong Bay. It was crowded in the afternoons, but late at night there were very few guests swimming and we enjoyed a quieter experience then.

Every castmember we encountered at Yacht Club for our entire stay was friendly & pleasant. (Not so in the parks, I'm sorry to say.)

Location is outstanding. Our family loves to walk around the lake and visit the Boardwalk Bakery for breakfast. Walking back to our room from Epcot after the fireworks was easy.

We did not take advantage of our refillable mugs much this time, because the refill station is at Hurricane Hannah's by the pool -- quite a hike from our room. The Ale & Compass (bar) in the lobby will fill your mug for you from 6 a.m. to noon. This is a tight space w/one cast member, though, so there can be a wait. Boardwalk Bakery is a refill station, but we were told that YC guests should use the refill stations at their own resort.

Lastly, we were in room 3032 w/ a standard view of the front of the hotel. We could see some rooftop, but also a lot of trees, the fountain, lush landscaping. Not an unpleasant view. We had a wide porch instead of a balcony. It was huge, & shared w/3 other rooms, though we never ran in to any other guests during our stay. I would LOVE to book rooms 3076, 3078, 3080, & 3082 for a stay w/extended family. All of the rooms share the porch.

Hope we can visit again someday!

Pros:

Beautiful Hotel, Wonderful Location

Reviewed by OneLtlSpark Review Date: 06/17/2013

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the Yacht Club in early June. Our stay was perfect from start to finish.

We arrived around 11am and were greeted before we even walked in by an attendant who took our name, retrieved our reservation, and walked us to the front desk to have our check in completed. Our room was not ready yet, but we opted to receive a text when it was ready, and left our bags with Bell Services while we walked over to Epcot for lunch.

The walk to Epcot is such a convenience! And the first surprise: We had barely entered the park when my phone buzzed and we learned our room was ready. That was quick!

We enjoyed the park for a few hours, and went to our room. The text we received contained our room number, and our Key to the World cards immediately unlocked the room door - no extra trip to the front desk needed. The next big surprise: Our standard view room had been upgraded to a water view! Our balcony overlooked the boardwalk and water.

The room had the standard Disney setup: Two queen beds, closet, dresser, and dual sinks that were separate from the tub/toilet. The decor was very crisp and white, with subtle nautical elements. I adored it! I can see how it might not be kid-friendly, but for two adults it felt very chic.

Everyone at the hotel was friendly and helpful, from the Concierge, who helped us locate umbrellas when the store had closed, to Bell Services, who brought our luggage to our room within 10 minutes of us calling for it.

The pool area was very lively and popular - we opted to recline with cocktails on the beach. I wish more resorts had actual sandy beaches. This beach was small, but quiet and just right. Plus, at night you can see some of the Illumninations fireworks from it.

The only downside we experienced was in our trips to from and to the airport. We were the last Magic Express stop coming from the airport, which made the bus ride approximately one hour with all the stopping and unloading for other resorts. We were the first stop to MCO, and while we arrived with plenty of time to catch the plane, it was still a bit tedious to stop at three other hotels first.

Other Disney transportation was excellent, however. The boat to Hollywood Studios is gentle and scenic, and the bus to Magic Kingdom moved quickly.

We will absolutely stay at the Yacht Club again. For adults, this is a wonderful resort with lovely rooms and a sophisticated yet still Disney feel.

Pros:

Location, lovely rooms

Cons:

small beach area, long Magic Express ride

Reviewed by hello12345 Review Date: 06/04/2013

Stayed 2 nights June 1-3. Small issue at check-in. Clerk appeared to not be able to find my reservation, but it was quickly resolved. We were in the 5th floor Regatta Club. I was not told at check-in that I would need to swipe my room key in elevator to reach 5th floor. I looked like an idiot for a few seconds before I figured out why the elevator would not go to 5th floor. That is it for the cons.

Our room was ready when we checked-in around 12:45 pm. This resort is located at the perfect spot in my opinion. 5-7 min walk to Epcot and 15-20 min walk to HS. The interior of the resort looks new and fresh. The Beach Club shares space, but the Yacht Club is a definite level above Beach Club. The rooms are very clean and we had no problems with room. The pool is the best in Disney. Entry is strictly controlled and the cast members are super-friendly. The pool area is actually 3 different pools, but it is blended to make it look like one big pool. Having a refill drink mug station at pool is a step above what the Boardwalk offers. I have stayed at Boardwalk twice and was a big fan. Yacht and Beach Club blow the Boardwalk away in my opinion. If all cost the same I would pick Yacht Club first every time.

Pros:

location

Cons:

not many

Reviewed by dbfromcincy Review Date: 05/01/2013

Did not live up to my expectations.

Upon arrival first room (2087) had an odd smell to it. My wife refused to go into the room. On way back to lobby to switch rooms, meet a mousekeeping staff. She came into room and confirmed the smell was not any of the chemicals/disinfectants they used.

Check in staff was quite cranky about changing us to another room and made comments about none being available. Did end up making the change without having to escalate.

Room noise was tolerable but noticable, except quite loud on balcony. As rooms share common balcony divided by a partion, the noise travels very easily and we were next to a young child who loved to talk to herself.

Quick service options limited requiring a hike to get Beach Club.

For the $'s I would choose the Magic Kingdom hotels (GF or Poly).

Pros:

Location

Cons:

quick service limitations

Reviewed by HannahLvsMinnie Review Date: 04/09/2013

My daughter and i just returned from a fantastic stay at the Yacht Club. The staff was amazing, especially Betty in the Regatta Club and Chef Matthew at the Captains Grill. We had a standard view room which meant it looked at nothing but it was quiet and the beds are comfortable. We will definitely return to this property.

Pros:

Quiet even during busy times

Cons:

wish we could stay longer

Reviewed by daphnee08 Review Date: 03/31/2013

Stayed here 3/9-3/14 for the third time. Since it was a last minute booking, we had to go with a pool / lagoon view. BUT, was it worth it!!!!!! We had a 2nd floor room, nearest the lagoon. It was a bit of a walk from the lobby, but there was a staircase outside that shortened the walk greatly. The view from the balcony was AWESOME!!! We could see 90% of the Boardwalk, and the Eiffel Tower in EPCOT. The service was perfect as always. It's not as kid friendly, but that's fine by us. The pool is still the best. The short walk to EPCOT and the boat to Hollywood Studios makes the location great. The only downside is we don't want to stay anywhere else..

Pros:

Location, service, location

Cons:

Price

Reviewed by JoanneS Review Date: 02/06/2013

We stayed at the Yacht Club from 1/29 to 2/2. We had a standard room but it had a great balcony and we enjoyed our mornings relaxing as we watched the world wake up. Mousekeeping was fantastic, and we always returned to a clean room with lots of towels and toiletries. Because we were celebrating our anniversary, we received some candy and a card from the staff, and a beautiful towel design from housekeeping. The staff was always friendly and helpful, ready to welcome us home whenever we returned from touring. The only negative was the size of the bathroom. The door hit the toilet seat so entering and exiting was a bit of an adventure. Otherwise, I would definitely return here if I could. Nice relaxing atmosphere and superb service.

Pros:

Close to Epcot and Boardwalk

Cons:

Small Bathroom

Reviewed by rkold Review Date: 01/16/2013

We stayed here in October in a water view room. Our room was far from the main lobby, (unless you cut around outside) but had a lovely water view. The cast members at the hotel were amazing and always made me feel welcome, they were also extremely competent. Check-in was super fast and easy unlike at the Poly and Bay Lake Tower, where we stayed last year. I loved being able to walk to Epcot and to the Studios. This is now our favorite hotel in WDW.

Pros:

Amazing staff and wonderful location

Reviewed by JackieB Review Date: 10/15/2016

I just stayed at the Yacht Club and I was very disappointed. I stayed there a few months ago and everything was wonderful...this time though...it was not. First of all the CM at registration was a bit strange. I went to the desk and told him I had reservation for one night and he looked at me and said "For?" Um...the resort. Do people go to the resort registration desk to check in for other reservations that I don't know about? I just thought that was strange. He told me my room wasn't ready but it would be a king room with a water view. This was great since I paid for a standard room and thought this was an upgrade...not really the room was not great. I walked in and thought it looked like a really nice room, king bed, sofa, chair, desk. The good: The view was awesome. It was a water view on the first floor. The bad: The bed was awful. It actually had a board under the mattress on part of the bed. It was very uncomfortable. I woke up in the morning with a backache. The worst part of the room was the bathroom. I've had larger bathrooms at the moderate resorts. I have to use a walker so in order to shut the bathroom door I had to walk as close as I could to the toilet (walker over the toilet) turn slightly, lift the walker a little and then shut the door. The sinks, toilet and shower were all in one cramped area. For the price I paid for a deluxe resort I was so disappointed in the room. If I had been staying for more than one night I would have asked to switch rooms. So next month when I return for a couple of nights the Yacht Club won't be the resort I choose to stay at.

BTW...Mousekeeping, valet, bell services, room service CM were outstanding.

Pros:

location, view

Cons:

bed, bathroom

Reviewed by Brine6415 Review Date: 02/09/2014

For starters we are a family of 4 with 2 boys, ages 4, and 6 months. This is our second trip to Disney with our 4 year old. We stayed for 5 nights and 6 days at the Yacht Club. 3 of those nights were paid for by me, and the remaining 2 were on a Disney Resort credit that we received after our last stay at the Wilderness Lodge 2 years ago. Most of our issues during our last stay were as a result of construction going on at the Wilderness Lodge. (Im sure that review is still buried in my profile if your really interested)

For whatever reason Disney was unable to join the resort credit reservation with our other reservation and this caused some minor problems during our stay. This also caused us to receive 2 sets of magic bands and 2 sets of magical express tickets with one end open on each reservation.

We arrived fairly early on Monday and went inside to check in. I was immedaitely impressed with the decor and cleanleness of the lobby. The scent that they are pumping through the lobby was fresh and not overwhelming. The staff was very attentive and helpful. While waiting to check in I was brought over to the Concierge desk by an employee to expedite the check in as there was a line at the regular check in desk. The guy who checked us in (Mike) was extremely nice and very creative. He was, however new to that resort and didn’t know where anything was which made the total check in time approximately 30 mins. We had pre requested a ground floor room during the online check in and were told one was available.

When the check in was over we were told that the room we had been assigned was ready for us however it had not updated in their system so our magic bands would not work to let us in the room yet. We were then told to call the front desk after 15 minutes to check on the status of our magic bands / room keys. We were then let in by a bell hop. Approximately 15 mins later I called the front desk to see if “Their system had updated” and the person on the other end of the phone had no idea what I was talking about. They tried to figure it out but I was inevitably transferred to another person who I had to explain the story to again.

The room itself appeared to be clean and well maintained and besides a gigantic dead mosquito on one of the beds. We didn’t see any issues until we pulled back the curtains and walked outside. When we went outside on the patio we immediately noticed that we were directly in front of the adult pool which was under construction. I’m not sure why Disney chose to overlook this detail with our reservations. We were staying on a resort credit that was given to us largely in part to a massive amount of construction that was going on during our last stay. And here we were again with a nice fresh view of some lovely construction. I then called the front desk and asked for another room. I was told that one was ready and we were moved to room 1085.

Upon switching rooms we found our new view to be exceptional as it had lovely views of the courtyard and water. The room was clearly an older one as the carpet was worn, the AC unit controls appeared to be from the 70’s. We also noticed a strange musty smell in the room which I chalked up to the ac being off and the room sitting unoccupied for a while. We then laid our kids down for naps and waited for our luggage to arrive. 3 hours later our luggage had still not arrived and I called the bell hops. They then advised me that our luggage had been sent to our first room and was waiting in there. They then advised that they would go an retrieve it for us. This again was a lack of attention to detail on Disney’s part and I wasn’t all that happy that our luggage had been sitting in a room that someone else could have had access to for at least 2 hours.

After a few minutes in the new room I noticed that one of the light fixtures above one of the beds was missing its knob, exposing the plastic. Due to the design of the room this was very noticeable and quite frankly unacceptable for a $420 dollar a night hotel. I then mentioned this to a the bell hop that brought us our luggage and was advised that it was going to be taken care of. When we returned that evening the knob was still missing. The next morning I walked to the front desk and spoke to a manager who advised me that he was going to take care of it right away. This didn’t happen, and that evening when we returned to the room the knob was still missing. I then returned to the front desk and spoke with another manager for the now third time. A few minutes later a maintenance guy showed up and fixed the knob.

In addition to the knob I also noticed that the room had significant rust on some of the metal fixtures in the bathroom and a bunch of tangled wiring from lamps and other items in the room, visible on the floors between the furniture. The fridge was also unplugged and I had to move the entertainment stand to plug it in. There was also visible trash in the mulch directly in front of our patio to include a wine cork, a cigarette butt, and several small pieces of white paper. Again a significant lack of attention to detail on Disney’s part.

When we went out to hit the parks the following day I noticed some water damage in the ceiling outside of our room. There also appeared to be mold growing on the ceiling as a result. I then noticed it was in multiple sections of the ceiling as we walked down the hallway. This is, point blank, UNACCEPTABLE. I can deal with having to plug in a fridge or some rust on a fixture in central Florida but water damage and mold? Really Disney. For $420 a night???

During the remainder of our stay things didn’t get much better in regards to the hotel. The room continued to smell musty and got so bad that we had to open the patio door to get fresh air in the room on a daily basis. When the maid came in to clean the room, not much cleaning was done as the carpet was never vacuumed and some of the glasses we got one day had a nasty looking white spuge on them which I hope was undissolved dishwashing detergent. Also the maid forgot to replenish our ice bucket liner and I had to call and request one.

During the end of our paid stay we received phone messages and a letter advising us to please come to the front desk and arrange our Magical Express Transportation. I had to go the front desk once again, to make sure they understood that we had 2 reservations and that we were not leaving and wanted to stay in the same room. This was finally addressed but almost everyone I spoke with appeared unfamiliar with a Disney resort credit and was unclear how to proceed. Furthermore once we had checked out of our first reservation and into our second I received a phone message asking me to come to the front desk and provide them with a credit card for the second reservation. I had already done this online and they also had my card from our first reservation. Yet another lack of attention to detail.

However I’m glad that I didn’t respond to this request as when we went to check out on our last day there they handed me a bill for $202 Dollars. When asked what this was for the clerk couldn’t explain it and had to go in the back to check with a manager. She then returned to tell me that it was the taxes and fees for our last 2 nights. I then explained to her that those nights were on a Disney resort credit and that there should not have been a bill for anything. I then had to provide the letter I received from Disney in regards to the resort credit. Thank the lord I didn’t provide them with another credit card and they weren’t smart enough to use the one from my first reservation or this amount would have been charged to my card. Another huge lack of attention to detail and yet another issue I and to deal with while on vacation. I was finally told that the charges would be taken care of.

My final complaint about this resort comes from the convention center located in the middle of the Yacht and Beach Clubs. I understand that convention business has to be a huge source of revenue for Disney but the last thing I want to see on vacation is a bunch of suits clogging up the front lobby discussing business deals throughout the entire day. This place was so busy with conventions that I don’t think there were many other families staying there at all.

I’m not quite sure why Disney can’t have a separate lobby / meeting area for these convention guests and coordinate their room assignments to be in the same area and away from the families who are trying to enjoy some of the so called “magic”.

To sum it all up we had a good time enjoying the parks and other attractions at Disney. This resorts pool is amazing and is easily its greatest feature. The grounds of the resort are also maintained very well and a pleasure to look at however, I can not get over the lack of attention to detail on Disney’s part regarding the rooms and reservations I paid a significant amount of money to stay for the 3 nights that I paid for, a dining plan, 5 days of park tickets, and countless other items that were purchased at the resort and parks. The experience we had with the rooms was unreal and I can’t believe that this level of negligence exists at a so called Disney "Deluxe" Resort. I expected a magical experience and what I really got was anything but. No folded Mickey towels in the room after day 1, no anything consistent with a $420 dollar a night room at Disney World. I'm not an unreasonable person this is just poor, poor, management, and service at a place that is supposed to be known for its level of service. What a shame.

Pros:

Grounds are Beautiful

Cons:

Rooms are terrible