Reviews of Tusker House Character Breakfast

Other Menus at Tusker House Restaurant

Tusker House Restaurant

Services: Buffet/All You Care to Eat

Reviewed by ang2575 Review Date: 09/08/2013

We were excited to try this brunch for the first time after all the great reviews I had read. Sadly, it turned out to be the worst dining experience I had ever had at Disney. We had a 10:30 reservation for breakfast and by the time we waited a bit and took a photo with Donald we were seated at 10:45. The characters came almost immediately so we took photos and the kids enjoyed their time with them. I have to say compared to other character meals, only seeing 3 characters (4 if you count seeing Donald beforehand) is pretty disappointing. Every other character meal we did had 5. So we headed up to the buffet and very disappointed to see that all breakfast had been removed. As we wandered through the stations, everyone at the buffet was asking each other were the breakfast was. My husband approached a chef and asked him were breakfast was and he was told that one section was all that was left of breakfast. It consisted of a fruit bowl that had a 5 pieces of fruit left and some pastries and yogurt. It was a joke. To make matters worse, the food that was on the buffet was all pretty exotic. Things like hummus, tabouli, couscous, stews. I myself will eat those things, but not first thing in the morning and not when what I really wanted was eggs. My kids and my husband, however, would never eat anything that was available. They were all starving and filled their plates with bread and dessert items. We asked our server where breakfast was and she told us that breakfast gets switched over to lunch at 10:45. She told us she always comes early to eat so she can have breakfast. No attempts to make our experience better. Again my husband asked the Chef and he told us the same thing: breakfast gets switched out at 10:45. We all ate practically nothing and our bill came to $190. My husband and I are both restaurant managers, and we couldn't believe that our server and the chef were so non-chalant about our questions. And like I said, everyone in the buffet line we talked to was wondering why the food had been switched over. On out way out, I tried one last time to get someone to give us an explanation. I asked a cast member at the host stand and was given the same answer, "breakfast switches to lunch at 10:45" At this point I was pretty angry and I told her, I had a breakfast reservation. We paid for breakfast but there was no breakfast and we were all still starving. She really could have cared less. I have never, ever complained at Disney in 15 trips. But after leaving the restaurant I actually went to guest services and told them our experience. Immediately, she was so apologetic. She called the restaurant where they verified that breakfast gets removed at 10:45 and she looked up my reservation to see I indeed had a breakfast reservation. She was so sweet and she refunded 50% of our meal and gave me 5 fast passes for any ride in any park. It was so nice. I will never, ever go back to Tusker House and I really can't believe I had to go to 4 cast members before any cared at all that we were extremely unhappy.

Pros:

Characters

Cons:

Everything else

Reviewed by Alannadale Review Date: 12/06/2020

We went here for my sons birthday and had a bad experience right from the start. They forgot to call us for a table, and when we finally got a table it felt like we were right on top of the table next to us. It took the characters forever to stop at our table. My son picked this restaurant because it had Daisy and Donald, but Donald never made it to our table.
We didn't like the food at all. I felt bad for the server. She had too many tables.

Pros:

Daisy was there

Cons:

Bad services. It was too crowded for the characters to visit all the tables.

Reviewed by Donald_13 Review Date: 08/05/2016

One of my favorite buffets in the parks.

Great assortment for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We came in for breakfast and half way though the service the menu changed to the lunch menu.

The only downside was to find the flourless chocolate cake (a gluten free option) placed nest to the regular deserts.

Pros:

Good food, greaat staff

Cons:

Chefs knowlege about allergies

Reviewed by MBodine Review Date: 04/28/2016

Great food and character interaction, but definitely only for those on dining plan. . .which we were not. Over $120 for breakfast for 3 was a bit hard to swallow.

Pros:

Yummy food and good character interaction

Cons:

price

Reviewed by prettythings03 Review Date: 10/28/2014

We got to the restaurant about 20 minutes before we were scheduled to check in. Checked in anyway, and were told to wait for a photo with Donald and then we would be seated. 45 minutes later, and 3 very grumpy kids, we got our photo and were rushed to do it since they came to seat us at the same time. Our photo is terrible, and we were not given an opportunity to take another.
Once inside, we were asked about food allergies. This was already in the ADR that I had made so I was a little annoyed. Yes... we have a salt restricted diet and a severe soy allergy.
Chef came out, young kid for the most part, and told me that with a soy allergy I should already know what I can and can't eat at the buffet, and that he would bring me my own waffles. As for the salt free, he said there was nothing he could really do for her except eggs that were made with no salt. Needless to say, my mom ended up sick due to salt content in the food and I got undercooked gluten free, soy free waffles that were gross (had them the day prior at another location and they were fantastic). If the character interaction once in side the restaurant had been less than is was then I would have walked out personally.
Do I recommend this restaurant, only to those who do not have any sort of food allergies or intolerance.

Pros:

Good character interaction, lots of food choices if you do not have issues

Cons:

Hard if you have allergies

Reviewed by bellebookworm9 Review Date: 09/15/2018

We ate here for lunch on Sunday, 9/2/18, as part of the Rivers of Light package. Our reservation was at 11:20am and I switched it just a few days before our trip began from breakfast to lunch. I've eaten here twice before for breakfast and I think that's the better option. The food here was good but I honestly can't remember much of what I ate. I know there was a strawberry cake of some kind that was good. We didn't get photos or autographs with the characters here since I have some from my last few trips, and they were fine to wave, blow a kiss, and move on.

We hit the switch between breakfast and lunch so did get to eat some of the breakfast foods too, which was nice. We enjoyed Rivers of Light and were glad we had the reserved seating for it because I didn't want to use a Fastpass. The Tiffins menu didn't appeal to us at all. I'd dine here again but will stick with breakfast in the future.

Pros:

Rivers of Light seating with more "family friendly" food options than Tiffins

Cons:

Food not particularly memorable

Reviewed by whitney37354 Review Date: 07/15/2015

We've done this breakfast before & enjoyed it more the first time. This time, the biscuit & gravy wasn't good. The tables were very close together. The CMs were great, characters came around quickly.

Reviewed by Harrimans Review Date: 07/11/2015

The food is all very good quality and the selections is very good as well. I will say that I wish they had an omelet bar like Crystal Palace. The jungle juice is very good.

Very good interaction with the safari characters. They come around pretty quickly but you still get some nice photo ops. They do really pack the people in almost on top of each other. Kind of hard to move around.

It was fun to do once but I will say I think it was a bit over-priced for what you get (even in comparison to other WDW meals).

Pros:

Food & Character interaction

Cons:

Price, very crowded

Reviewed by allears2014 Review Date: 04/06/2014

We arrived early for our ADR 4-01-14 and were taken in with only a short wait to get our photo made with Donald. . . but there was a photographer, but no Donald.

Inside we were seated in a far corner, the waitress seemed shaken they were so busy (I would think anyone working at Disney would be accustomed to the crowds).

She brought us juice and was not unfriendly- - just overwhelmed, which made me uncomfortable to even ask for a drink refill.

The buffet has a good variety of food and everything I tried tasted fresh.

I thought the characters moved fast at Crystal Palace, but these characters act like they are racing to some finish line. This is a pricey buffet breakfast, guests are paying for the character experience- - not scramble eggs and paper thin bacon, so make it worth our while by slowing down a bit!

At the end of our meal, we were ready for the park, but it took a very long time to check out. The waitress finally came to scan my magic band and left. . . for at least 10 minutes. She returned, apologized and said the info was deleted somehow and she needed to scan me again. Another 10 to 15 minutes and she was finally back. We waited about 25 minutes just to check out- - that was not an acceptable amount of time.

While the food was good and my DS enjoys the characters, this was not a favorite dining experience.

Pros:

Food was hot and good

Reviewed by momof3inMadisonAL Review Date: 02/16/2013

Third time at TH. previously rated a 10. This time I have to lower my rating.
Ate here 2/7 with ADR 8:00. We previously have been seated in small room off to the left as you enter restaurant. This time we were in the big room on right with everyone else. Our server wasn't really friendly and I don't remember seeing much of her. The tables were close together and it was hard to get out of our seats. Difficult to make our way through all the peope and characters to the buffet. And the restaurant wasn't even full.
The character interaction was brief. We didn't need autographs so they pretty much just posed for a photo and moved on.
Food was still fantastic so I'd eat here again definitely, but was disappointed in "my favorite character meal".

Pros:

Cons:

Noisy, crowded, rushed characters

Other topics in Animal Kingdom