Reviews of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (Magic Kingdom)

Each year Mickey hosts the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party in the Magic Kingdom. This is a hard ticket event -- meaning you need to purchase a separate ticket for entry (just like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). The Magic Kingdom is transformed into a fun spooky haven for trick-or-treaters of all ages.

Requires separate admission ticket.

Fact Sheet and Current Information/Blogs Photos/Videos: http://allears.net/tp/mk/mnssh.htm

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/10/2019

NOT FOR KIDS. I hadn’t been since Oct 2009 and it was nothing like it was 10 years ago. In 2009, I took my 4 yr old sons who dressed as a tiny Pan and Hook. We sat on the curb for a delightful parade, did rides at our leisure, and most magical- a cast member engaged them in an impromptu sword fight in the mostly empty streets of Frontierland (back when you could bring swords!) Cast members dumped ridiculous amounts of candy in their bags as we meandered around the park.
I recently tried to repeat the magic with my 4 year old daughter. Miserable. Long lines for candy. Long lines for rides. Long lines for characters. Long lines for food. Worst of all, as we looked for a spot to watch the parade 45 min in advance, I quickly found we were edged out by adults who were angling to see the headless horseman. This event has been marketed into an event for collectors and adult Disney enthusiasts who come for the special edition treats and souvenirs. I’m fine w that, but market it as such. The original “not so scary” moniker implies that this event is kid centric and it’s just not- way too many people.

Pros:

Theming

Cons:

Too crowded

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/08/2019

Attended the event on Friday, September 13th. The event amounted to a evening of standing in long lines for everything. Received minimal candy and after standing in a long line for candy with the bag open, on multiple occasions was overlooked and received nothing. As is so often the case this appears to have turned into another money grab by Disney with plenty of hype and little benefit for the guests. With long lines for rides, candy and specialty photos it was a very expensive bust for our party of 4. Definitely our first and last time for this event. Too much money for basically a evening of standing in very long lines, no thank you.........

Pros:

The decorations were well done....

Cons:

Cost, crowds, long lines for everything.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/08/2019

It was busier and the lines were longer for rides than a regular evening at the Magic Kingdom. I even had trouble finding a bottle of water which is a real issue in August. It was over crowded and treat lines were too long. I was hoping for a leisurely park evening with extra treats and instead walked into an overcrowded park. I will never pay the extra for that again.

Pros:

Cons:

Overcrowded, limited water availability.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/08/2019

I just attended the Oct 1 Halloween Party and I can attest to the crowds. I was shocked that the party sold out. It was the fifth party to sell out. The crowds were everywhere. Lines were long for rides. Haunted Mansion never had less than 45 minute wait.

The exclusive rides weren’t worth it either. The live action pirates in Pirates of the Caribbean numbered 3 on the ride and 1 in the queue. Space mountain had an issue so instead of being pitch black it was partially lit up, which seeing all the rails and everything actually made it a bit scarier, so positive?

The lines for candy stations were winding and could take 15 minutes to get through. Learned the lesson after going through the one at Country Bear Jamboree to avoid them. Found a decent spot in front of the castle and had to stake out a seat 45 minutes before the second parade to get a decent view.

I went with some first timers and they were disappointed as I have done it before plus Christmas Party twice and I always talked about the reduced crowds. Not so this time. I was disappointed and would have rather just added another park day to my 6-Day pass instead of this event. It is a shame because I enjoy these events but I may not be inclined to do it again unless I hear about changes.

Pros:

Castle show and chance to trick or treat as an adult

Cons:

As crowded as an afternoon in the park on a normal day. Long lines to get candy. Special rides were barely special.

Reviewed by SGuest Review Date: 10/07/2019

No Longer Special

Pros:

Parade, if you can even see it. Fireworks

Cons:

Crowds Confusion Long Lines

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/02/2019

Attended with a party of 5 on Sunday 9/29. Thought Sunday would be good for crowds, but boy were we mistaken. Disney way oversold this event. Crowds were horrendous. It was less busy during the day. The Hocus Pocus show was good, the Fireworks were great, the parade was ok. Save your $ - we'll never attend a separate ticketed event again.

Pros:

Fireworks and Hocus Pocus show.

Cons:

The crowds and cost

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/02/2019

Awful!! Save your money! The crowds are horrible, worse than normal operating hours. Forget meeting any special characters because they only let about 20-25 in line then close the line. Wait times for rides were still the same. Workers didn't know where the parades were going through then made us move right before and said sorry you can probably see the parade by the gate or the fireworks but now there's no place to see both. There was garbage everywhere. Save your money and go to Universal. It is beautiful, clean, and they provide air conditioning while waiting in lines. Disney needs to take notes. Disney just looks old run down. It's sad really. There is no magic anymore.

Pros:

Good music.

Cons:

Expensive, old, dirty, no magic, just working at packing in crowds and not the experience.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/01/2019

This was a two in one for us. First and last. I gave it two stars for the parade, which I could have sat at home and watched on YouTube and saved a bunch of money. Crowds were awful. Disney did an injustice to the resort guests by selling unlimited access tickets to locals.

Pros:

Parade, fireworks

Cons:

Crowds, long lines, grumpy Disney employees.

Reviewed by Pipela Review Date: 09/30/2019

The party was SO crowded. It was more crowded then if we went during a regular day. The wait times for the lines were high, the wait lines for the candy (candy you could purchase in bulk in any grocery store, nothing at all special or worth waiting in line for) were crazy long. We went in the passholders line because we didn’t want to wait in the huge line on the other side. We never even got treat bags. We kept asking and everyone said oh go here they’ll have them. No one did. The decorations were fun, the parade was great and seeing everyone dressed up was also fun.

Pros:

Decorations, parade and costumes.

Cons:

CROWDS!

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 11/08/2019

This was our third MNSSHP and the crowds were terrible. We never did get to ride any rides since all the lines were longer than they were during the day. Super long lines for candy, and forget about seeing the fireworks or parade if you didn't camp out a spot early. Luckily I'm fairly tall and got a good look at the parade, but never did get a good spot to see the fireworks show on the castle. This is our last MNSSHP. Hopefully MVMCP will not have the same crowds, but I'm not betting on it!

Pros:

Great fireworks show if you can get a spot to see the castle graphics. Fun parade. Enough candy to rot your teeth for half the year if you like standing in lines.

Cons:

LINES, LINES, LINES

Other topics in SPECIAL EVENTS at WDW (including Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, Food and Wine, runDisney)