Reviews of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (Magic Kingdom)

Each year Mickey hosts the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party in the Magic Kingdom. This is a hard ticket event -- meaning you need to purchase a separate ticket for entry (just like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). The Magic Kingdom is transformed into a fun spooky haven for trick-or-treaters of all ages.

Requires separate admission ticket.

Fact Sheet and Current Information/Blogs Photos/Videos: http://allears.net/tp/mk/mnssh.htm

Reviewed by Purpie Review Date: 09/23/2020

Whether this is for you depends on your situation financially and what you’re most interested in. Let me explain!

Me, only responsible for my ticket, is affordable. I go with family and they are a party of 4 and the cost adds up. With them, I enjoy the atmosphere, dance party or two and trick-or-treating. On my own, not so appealing.

The parade is great and the atmosphere really puts you in a Halloween mood even if you don’t care about Halloween (me!). We end up with a large haul of good candy, but I could have spend much less and bought candy on my own. You’re paying for the thrill of trick-or treating as an adult!

If you’re a dance party fan, you might really enjoy this.

There are also the special treats, but that’s an extra cost too.

Basically, you’d probably get the best value if you are really into Halloween, dance parties or just want to pay extra to (hopefully) have shorter lines on attractions. Overall, you’re money is getting you a fast pass on some rides, overpriced candy and special treats. The parade is a bonus but not worth the ticket.

I enjoy it but not a must as a neutral Halloween person. With others and paying my ticket, I’ll go. Add 2 more, and that’s a no.

Pros:

Puts you in a Halloween spirit, get to trick or treat like a kid and wear a costume, unique parade, unique treats, dance parties, shorter ride times

Cons:

Expensive

Reviewed by MagicPreppy Review Date: 06/03/2020

Went on Sept 22, 2019 (two adults). This is the event that convinced me to be a Disney Annual Pass holder.

Spent the day at Blizzard Beach, and went to the MK about 2 hours before the event started with my special event ticket. Went on Splash mountain, Aladdin, and small world even before the event started (fast passes available).

Once the event started, pirates, people mover, Peter pan, and a few other things were basically walk on. Haunted mansion and space mountain had lines, but tbey moved quickly and we had fun on those as well.

Ate some of the special event food for dinner and I loved it. The Boo to you parade may be the best Disney parade (got a great view for parade 2) and the stage show with Hocus Pocus IS the best stage show. Ended up with about 10 lbs of candy. I have allergies, so the teal coin system worked great for me.

Also, being at Disney in costume was awesome!

Pros:

Candy, parade, stage show

Cons:

may be late for young kids

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 05/17/2020

My family had an amazing time! We were at the park all day with a 2 & 5 year old.

Pros:

Fun experience, staying late, wearing costumes, kids loved it.

Cons:

Expensive. One and done for my family due to cost.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 04/23/2020

I've had nothing but positive experiences with MNSSHP, but can absolutely see it not being for everyone. It truly is crucial when you go. For the past 3 years i've gone around the second weekend in october and have always enjoyed myself. I believe it is worth the price because I feel that despite it being less time than a park day, you get more done because it is less people. Best way to get your money's worth is to go as early as they will let you in and leave at closing. I also don't feel that the fireworks are that special, but if you only plan on going to this once and like the fireworks in general, maybe try to see them. I like this party because despite florida always being hot, it gets cooling at night. The lights are always pretty and it makes things very magical.

Pros:

special experience, usually lower crowds, really fun for whole family.

Cons:

Have to plan a good time of year, can be expensive, may feel you don't get money's worth

Reviewed by colemamma Review Date: 01/28/2020

My teen daughter and I attended MNSSHP October 1st 2019. We enjoyed visiting the candy stations and ended up with 8lbs of candy between the both of us. The party was sold out and Magic Kingdom was packed with people. We didn't expect to ride 7Dwarves Mine or visit any of the characters. Those had lines that were crazy long. We did visit quite a few attractions though- Pirates, People Mover, Buzz Lightyear, Pooh, Haunted Mansion (very long line), Peter Pan, and Small World. We watched the second parade. For us, it was a nice one time experience. I don't know that we feel the need to ever do it again. I would avoid this event like the plague if I had small children or used a scooter or wheelchair. It was not well lit and almost every area was difficult to navigate on foot. Lines were often confusing, especially near Carousel of Progress (candy line)/People Mover. Cast members seemed to be happy and added to the festive atmosphere.

Pros:

fun trick or treating for adults/teens, every cast member we saw was into the Halloween spirit, Haunted Mansion overlay, great parade

Cons:

they really over-sell these events, just too crowded

Reviewed by Gingy160 Review Date: 11/03/2019

We went as a family of three to our first MNSSHP at the end of October 2018 and had a blast! We had so much fun we convinced our larger group of "every two years" travelers to go to the party this year. While I wouldn't say it was terrible, it also wasn't great. My whole goal for this party was to trick-or-treat, get some Magic photos, see the parade, fireworks, and some shows. In that respect, we succeeded. However, it was very crowded compared to last year (and the party on 10/29 was not sold out). The whole concept of "wait for the second parade because the party clears out" did NOT apply. Although I still had fun because I didn't ever expect to accomplish *everything* the party offers, I hope Disney gets the message about how unhappy the party guests were this year.

Pros:

It's a Disney Halloween!!

Cons:

Definitely too crowded, not nearly enough Photopass photographers

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/09/2019

We have attended MNSSHP many times in past years so we do have some experience of what to expect. We decided to go on Sunday, Oct. 6th expecting lower crowds. Wrong! MK was slammed and my understanding is this party was not sold out. Buyer beware! They are obviously selling a lot more tickets than in years past. It was jam packed right up until midnight. The order ahead for food worked well. Our main goal was to see the new Fireworks show and Boo to You parade which were both amazing! Don't expect to do rides. Stick with experiencing the Halloween festivities and go another day if you can to enjoy the park.

Pros:

Special food items, Castle fireworks, Parade

Cons:

Cost- Crowd- Long lines

Reviewed by solitaire12 Review Date: 10/08/2019

My husband and I are annual passholders and have attended MNSS every year for the last 4 years. In 2016 we attended twice during fall break in October with our family (total 12) - the crowds were very light and we had a wonderful time. The following year we went back in September - just the 2 of us and it was also great. In October of 2018 again with our family we noticed increased crowds and longer lines. This year in September of 2019 just my husband and I attended and found it to be crowded and not an improvement over being in the MK on a non MNSS night. Disappointing as it is advertised as being a time of lower attendance. We will be there in 2020 again during fall break and I am sure that our family will want to attend - but I don't look forward to it as I once would have. I would recommend it still on the strength of the parade alone, but don't expect the crowds to be "magically" lighter.

Pros:

The very best parade ever!

Cons:

Too crowded - seems to get more so every year.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/08/2019

This was my 4th year attending Mickey's Not So Scary party. We go every year on a Sunday and have never had a problem with crowds. This year we lucked out I suppose with crowds as we went the Sunday in September before Hurricane Dorian, attendance wise you could def. feel the impact. In the past we would have to wait 30 minutes for Peter Pan even at like 11 PM; this time around it was a walk on all night. No fireworks that night due to wind, but I was okay with that. A couple new floats in the Boo to You parade, and the new projection show was awesome. Got plenty of candy and rode plenty of rides with little to no wait. Having been so many years, every year that characters lines are always SUPER long, no different this year, even with low crowds on the night we went. Thus every year we forgo waiting in a character line and opt for more rides. Same to Hocus Pocus show and Boo to You parade, if you seen it once skip it, do rides and candy instead. I can understand this year with the good weather the sold nights being extra crowded. Also I always recommend going in at 4 PM when they allow you to, you get the chance up till like 6-6:30 to get some fast passes or a dining experience. This year we had a dining reservations at Be Our Guest for 4:15 and it was great. Normally we go in at 4 and fast pass Splash Mountain. Overall I will def. keep doing this event every year!

Pros:

Night time, candy, shorter ride wait times, get to go in at 4.

Cons:

This year my biggest Con was the parking situation with the construction they are doing at the main transit area, they really were not providing the normal trams if you park in any section but the farthest one out. I already know I am going to walk a lot in the park, I always love the trams to your car at the start and end of your day; especially the end of day.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/08/2019

My son and I attended Not-So-Scary on September 15th. We had a blast! The lines were very low on many of the attractions, trick-or-treat station lines were very reasonable, the parade was great... I have no idea what people are complaining about.

Pros:

Short wait times for rides!

Cons:

Character meet lines did seem long.

Other topics in Special Events at Walt Disney World