Reviews of Jiko - The Cooking Place - Jambo House

Cuisines: African, American
Full Service - Dinner
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House

Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/jiko-the-cooking-place/dinner
Child's Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/jiko-the-cooking-place/child-dinner

Reviewed by KenHutch Review Date: 06/25/2018

If this rating system went above 10 it would get the max allowed. This is by far my favorite place to eat in all of WDW and I do believe its the best restaurant in WDW. I had the Taste of Africa for an appetizer and the Durham Elk Loin as a main. They were both incredible and I highly recommend this place.

Pros:

Incredible Food

Reviewed by patersonprattle Review Date: 06/10/2018

Our family of 7 adults had the pleasure of dining at Jiko, at Animal Kingdom Lodge. We were seated in what I believe was called the Wine Cellar room, but I'm not exactly sure. Our waiter, Ron, was kind, attentive, and extremely helpful. He had extensive knowledge of both the food and drink menu items. His expertise was incredibly helpful in making our appetizer, drink, and meal choices. The warm scented wash cloths and moroccan mint tea were a great start to what would soon become one of our favorite meals at Walt Disney World ever. My husband had the Durham Ranch Elk Loin - celery root puree, hibiscus-candied apples, turnip atjar, lemon-elk jus, which he thought was great, and would definitely eat again. Several of us enjoyed the Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon Highlight Item - bobotie mac n' cheese, grilled Delta-asparagus, kachumbari, South African red wine sauce, which was perfection! My daughter in law chose the Grouper which she was very pleased with as well. My son and daughter both chose the Bo Kaap Malay Seafood Curry - lobster, calamari, red shrimp, mussels, coconut curry sauce, saffron rice . They both loved it!! The Malva Pudding - Melktart ice cream, Kataifi, kanu tuile, cabernet gelee dessert was outstanding, as were our after dinner drinks. I chose the Nutty African. To make the night even more special, Tadie, one of the seaters, brought a hand signed card from various staff, each who had written a special congratulations in their own African language to my son and daughter in law who were celebrating their first wedding anniversary. They also brought them a dessert that wasn't even on the menu. Excellent meal, and incredibly thoughtful service. We will definitely return!

Pros:

One of our favorite meals ever!

Reviewed by MrDisneyphile Review Date: 04/09/2018

Went to Jiko for my wife's 40th birthday. What a treat! Not only did we get an excellent location (without asking or letting anyone know we were there for an occasion) we were treated to a perfect meal. The food was great, the wine was great, the staff was even better. They did a great job letting us spend some time enjoying our meal and each other but also provided great service and a special experience for my wife. The staff even hand wrote a personalized birthday card for her and brought her (free) dessert, capping off a wonderful evening.

Pros:

The food was delicious and the staff were unreal

Reviewed by allec999 Review Date: 03/11/2018

Yep, came back for the second time in 5 months. Last time I wanted to try the elk loin, but they were out; the filet I had instead was one of the best meals I've ever had. This time, they had the elk, so I had to try it. It was wonderful, but not quite as good as the filet. But my wife had the lamb tagine, and gave me a bite... it was perhaps the most flavorful bite I have ever had. These guys just know what they're doing. So, so good. It will be difficult to come to WDW in the future and not have a dinner here.

Pros:

They had Elk this time

Cons:

Not as good as the filet

Reviewed by allec999 Review Date: 11/03/2017

Best meal of the trip. My wife and I had been here maybe 7 years ago, and have wanting to go back ever since. This dinner reminded us of why we wanted to return. Only complaint was they ran out of the elk loin, but it didn't matter - the beef tenderloin I had instead was the best I've ever had. So much flavor! Service was impeccable; server (wish I could remember her name) was not only on the ball, but had a personalty and was very intelligent. She kept right up with a spirited group. Wine choices also excellent. All of us were incredibly impressed. Can't wait to go back!

Pros:

Everyting

Cons:

No elk

Reviewed by NJDzneMom Review Date: 10/08/2017

We dine at Jiko on each Disney trip we make and are never disappointed. The service and food and wine choices are excellent! I tried the BLT flatbread as an appetizer and it was pleasant, though a little messy. For dinner, I enjoyed the Wagyu strip loin and loved every bite. My husband had the seafood stew and devoured it! I thought he may lick the bowl clean!!! Both my husband and i also enjoyed the wine flights - all of them were delicious! This is a wonderful fine dining experience.

Pros:

Excellent Dining Experience

Cons:

Pricey

Reviewed by Geri604 Review Date: 10/08/2017

After reading a lot of positive reviews, I changed our Be Our Guest dinner to Jiko for our final night, and I am so glad I did! My filet was cooked to perfection, and the asparagus and tomatoes that came with it were also delicious - the only thing I didn't like was the mac & cheese side that came with it. My mom had the maize crusted halibut and the portion was HUGE! She's very fussy when it comes to how her fish is cooked (it needs to be thoroughly done all the way through), and she said this was perfect. All my dad wanted was a lobster tail, which was on the menu as an "enhancement" - I was going to add it on to my filet order, but the server let him order that on its own. I also had a very good Cabernet with my dinner - I wish I could remember the name, but it's the one recommended with the filet on the menu.

Pros:

The server was very knowledeable and the food was delicious

Reviewed by SusieH212 Review Date: 08/20/2017

Had the first dinner of our trip here, which was awesome as we were staying upstairs at AKL. We were handed their separate vegan/vegetarian menu....which was amazing! We loved everything we had & then we could just head upstairs to our gorgeous room. Can't wait to go back!

Pros:

Vegan/Vegetarian Options

Reviewed by NJDzneMom Review Date: 12/12/2015

We dined at Jiko for a second time the week of Dec 6, 2015. We love this signature restaurant and look forward to this dining event when we visit Disney.

We were seated almost immediately for our ADR time. Our waiter was most attentive and gave welcome overviews of each dish on the menu.

We loved the wild boar appetizer - very tasty - and I'm not one to usually try these types of dishes. My family also truly relished the grouper, lamb, filet and short rib dishes. The wine was also delightful and accompanied our dinners very nicely.

If anyone is looking for a special dining experience, I would definitely recommend this restaurant. However, I do believe it's geared more towards teen+ kids and adults. Little ones may not appreciate the longer meal experience and the atmosphere is a little more sophisticated than other resort restaurants.

Pros:

Food Quality, Wine Selection, Service

Reviewed by fitziek Review Date: 06/03/2015

My husband and I had our anniversary dinner at Jiko. It was an absolutely amazing experience! When we arrived the hostess walked us through the dining room and explained the meaning of the restaurant name as well as the decor. It was a fun little insiders tour before dinner!

Our server, Onsy(sp?), was absolutely amazing. He made great recommendations on our meals and wine selections.

We split the wild boar tenderloin as an appetizer. I was a little worried as I'm not really one for out of the ordinary meats but this was amazing! Super tender and the sauce that comes with it enhances the flavor beautifully. Be warned - it comes rare!

For dinner I had the Harissa Chicken with Cinnamon Couscous. The chicken was tender and juicy and the cinnamon couscous was a perfect pairing!

My husband had the Maize Crusted Halibut over tomato butter. Another stunner. The fish was nice and light and the tomato butter added lovely flavor without being overwhelming.

Since it was our anniversary Onsy brought us each a small chocolate & coffee mousse and chocolate cookies. The mousse was topped with a white chocolate butterfly and was almost too pretty to eat!

I can't wait for our next Disney trip so we can return to Jiko!

Pros:

Service, Food

Cons:

None!

Other topics in Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo and Kidani)