Reviews of Grand Floridian Resort (Deluxe Resort)

A Disney Deluxe Monorail Resort located in the Magic Kingdom Resort Area.

For full details, Fact Sheet, Photos and Videos visit:: http://allears.net/acc/faq_gf.htm

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/19/2020

Everything & then more- cast was amazing...perfectly manicured...rooms clean & comfortable!!!

Pros:

Magical from the moment you pull up...

Cons:

The cost of course

Reviewed by Joyhardin Review Date: 11/23/2019

We decided to splurge and stay and the Grand Floridian this year. It was such a fantastic experience. We have stayed at other Deluxe Resorts over the years, but the level of attention to detail at The Grand was impeccable. I had put in some room requests prior to our arrival and when we arrived, the CM at the desk didn't seem to have any record of them. He tried to get us into a room close to what we had requested, but didn't have much luck. We headed to the park because our room wasn't ready and about an hour later, a lady from GF called and apologized for the desk CM not having our requests noted and told us that she had a couple further options for us as far as rooms to choose from. She was so nice and we ended up in a room pretty similar to what we were hoping for in Sago Cay.

The room was very clean and well appointed. When we first arrived we were having some trouble with the AC and called the "front desk", which I know is really just a call center. A maintenance man arrived within 10 minute and had the room cool as a cucumber. The first morning, our Keuring didn't work and I called again. Someone from housekeeping was there within a few minutes with a new one and tons of apologies about our inconvenience.

Since we were staying at such a nice resort, we decided to have a couple resort days instead of going sun up to sun down at the parks. We spent 2 days at the pool - we opted for the quiet pool both days and it was fantastic. The first day, they didn't have a server circulating around the pool, so we went up to the bar several times. The bartender was so friendly and remembered our orders when we came back up for additional drinks. The second day there was a server and he was so attentive and got us drinks very quickly.

Everything was very clean. We saw housekeepers all the time cleaning every little nook and cranny of the resort. We ate at several of the restaurants (GF Cafe, Narcossees and Gasparilla Grill) and had great meals.

If we want to splurge again, we will definitely stay here again.

Pros:

Well appointed

Cons:

Price

Reviewed by Rebekah G Review Date: 12/18/2018

10 of us stayed at GF for the first time Dec. 9-15, 2018. We are Disney vets and have stayed at WDW resorts many, many times the last couple decades at value and moderate. This was only my second deluxe. We recently became pass holders and DVC members so we will start to stay at more and more Deluxe. Let me preface this trip was a big family holiday celebration with 8 adults, a 4 year old, and infant, which would present challenges no matter where we stayed.

I arrived on ME with some of our party about 10:30am; the rest arrived via car soon after. We got checked in and found we had two upgraded lagoon views from garden views, which was a hit because we could watch the monorail. Great balcony and a peaceful view!

The rooms were not quite ready so we headed to grab some lunch. The only real quick service option for lunch was Gasparilla. It was raining and only has a small inside seating area for the size of the resort so it was crowded even though we arrived about 11am. Food was fine for a QS. Cookies were underwhelming. The cupcakes we had later in the week were much better. That was the only QS meal we ate there, but got breakfast items, mug refills, and snacks all week. While Gasparilla was open 24 hours there are only two Coke freestyle machines (we found two others at the beach pool on other side of resort but those were limited hours). There was always a backup and mid day multiple flavors were frequently out.

We got the text rooms were ready shortly after lunch. We had no park plans the first day so we were glad to get situated with the large group. We were put in adjoining rooms in Sago Cay (lobby of buidling was beautiful). The rooms were clean and nicely appointed. We had the crib we ordered and were brought more Kcups. Both driving groups were able to get CM with golf carts drive to their cars and get their luggage, which was awesome since it was raining and the one car had two kids and a lot of stuff. Their only complaint driving is CM were not as helpful when they arrived to help direct to non-valet parking.

Those of us ME guests received our checked bags shortly thereafter. We had purchased military tickets so we needed to go to TTC to activate. This was our first experience with how inconvenient the transport is if you are staying there. We'd used resort monorail many times prior trips for dining and resort exploration, but it's not as fun when you are staying there. At this point (about 2:30pm) it finally stopped raining. We went to the monorail station and it was very backed up. We decided to take our chances walking to TTC. It took 7 adults a full 20 minutes at a brisk pace to make it to TTC, but we decided that was better than waiting for multiple monrails before we would get on. I upgraded my ticket to Gold annual pass, and the CM at TTC was very efficient with our group.

We had earlier dining reservations at Cape May (we decided before the trip, we would drive since we had two cars and that was the right choice after the monorail earlier). We had some time and the weather was good for December swimming for we northerners so we checked out the quieter pool in center of resort. The zero entry was fantastic for the four year old and for wading adults who did not want to get soaked. The pool was huge and not very crowded. We enjoyed that pool several times throughout the week. The hot tub is large and accommodated a lot of people. We went to the beach pool once, which was nice, but smaller and not as good for little ones wanting to swim. The four year old kept saying she wanted to go to the pool with "nothing." Aka, no slide. The beach pool was a little warmer.

We did eat at 1900 Park Fare, my first time for dinner (I'd done character breakfast before). We had a 4:20 reservation, which I would highly recommend. It was not very crowded compared to some of the lines we saw outside the restaurant many times walking through. Food was above average for a character buffet and the 4 year old loved Cinderella and the adults found the stepmother and sisters amusing.

The main lobby was exquisite as it always is for Christmas, but staying there for the first time, we found the lobby very crowded much of the time, which was inconvenient for those "living there." The gingerbread house had a constantly long line as did the photo pass for Christmas tree. We went a couple times later in the day before closing at gingerbread house. Less crowds, but they would be out of things and one night the cookies we got were inedible. Guest services gave us our snack credits back.

Overall, this is an amazing resort that feels so 5 star, less Mickey, and we did enjoy so much staying there. But, our biggest critique was transportation. While MK is so close, you cannot walk there. By the time the resort monorail gets around to your resort, there's usually minimal space. Security can get backed up. Going to MK, we took the boat one morning, but that was no better. It still took 20 minutes from the time we got on the boat because it stops at Poly first. Taking the boat back from MK is nice cause GF is first stop, but the boats fill up cause they hold 34 people and they only run one during day it seemed. One day we walked out to leave MK midday, and just missed boat. CM recommended monorail would be faster cause boat would not be back for 20-25 minutes. We walked right on a monorail, but it takes a full 20 minutes to go from MK to GF (sometimes longer) cause of all the stops. It just seems like being that close with the price of the resort it should be easier to get to and from MK. Somedays I would have been happier getting on a bus.

Going to Epcot is even worse. As I noted, at a brisk pace you can walk to TTC from GF in 20 minutes, but there was no way we would do that with 10 people and 2 little ones. So, we had to take the resort monorail (a solid 15 minutes on a good trip) to TTC, then unload, walk across, wait for Epcot monorail, ride over, and have to go through security AGAIN! A CM said they're working on fixing this, but we had to go through security at resort and again at Epcot. The return trip was a little better since we were second stop after TTC. If you're staying at Poly, you can walk to TTC; if you're staying at Contemporary, you can walk to MK. If you're staying at GF, one of the most expensive resorts, you can get no where fast. My husband and I stayed at AK lodge for the first time this past January, I came into worried about tranzport. While we were farther from all the parks except AK, we just walked out and got on a bus. It may have been a longer bus ride, but a much smoother experience. I much preferred going to HS and AK from GF because it was much easier logistically. I know Disney transport is not always the best, but I just expected a little better since monorail resorts are so pricey.

As a first time resort monorail stay (a longstanding Disney dream of our whole Disney family), I just expected getting everywhere to be easier for what you're paying. As DVC members, I want to stay at the other monorail resorts to compare. I'd stay again at GF, but now know what to expect in transport.

Pros:

Lovely grounds and rooms, surprisingly compact

Cons:

Transportation between MK and Epcot, busy lobby

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 12/18/2018

Gorgeous hotel but not as convenient as a location you'd expect

Pros:

Beautiful grounds, deceivingly compact

Cons:

Getting to and from MK and Epcot

Reviewed by llhoff Review Date: 09/28/2018

Our family of 5 recently stayed at the Grand Floridian for 2 nights following 3 nights at Port Orleans Riverside. It had been many years since we had stayed at the Grand Floridian, but it definitely lived up to the positive memories we had from our previous stay. Our room was on the 2nd floor in building 9, Big Pine Key, which was convenient to the main building and both pools. Our room had a lovely view of the wedding pavilion and the Polynesian Resort just across the lake. The room was lovely, clean, and well appointed. We had everything we needed. It was very comfortable for our family of 5 with no complaints from our 17 year old who slept on the pull out couch. We opted for turndown service which our kids loved for the Ghirardelli chocolate left on their pillows each night.
We spent most of our time in the parks and didn't really have time to take advantage of a lot that the resort has to offer (maybe next time!). We did have an evening at the pools which were uncrowded and peaceful. The large hot tub was a nice bonus. We watched the fireworks from Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party from the marina area one night, which was really nice, as they have the soundtrack piped in. We took advantage of the quick service location, Gasparilla Island Grill, one evening for a late dinner. The food was as good or better than most of the resort quick service locations we have eaten at. All of the cast members we interacted with were friendly and helpful throughout the resort. Having the choice of monorail, bus, or boat to the various parks was very convenient. Our whole family really enjoyed our stay here and wished we could have stayed longer. We would like to return, however, even with a discount, the room rates here make it a rare treat for us. Nonetheless, we had a very nice time and would definitely recommend it.

Pros:

convenience, atmosphere, service

Cons:

price

Reviewed by Dutch Review Date: 09/28/2018

This was my second stay at the Grand Floridian. My family was booked into the Big Pine Key building. The resort's lobby is truly magnificent and after a near non-stop drive from Atlanta, the live jazz and relaxed atmosphere is a balm to the weary traveller. The attention from cast members at this resort is second to none.

The theming of this resort is decidedly "grown up Disney" and a bit more fancy than my t-shirt and shorts wardrobe. But it's ok, it's Disney after all.

Our room was very spacious and accommodating for a family of 5 (mom, dad, and three daughters ranging in age from 19-12 and full size humans). We were situated on the Seven Seas Lagoon and the views were beautiful. We faced the Polynesian Resort and Wedding Pavilion and also had views of the monorail line. At night the sounds of the Friendship bells and the Magic Kingdom railroad could be heard clearly adding a wonder bit of atmosphere.

We took advantage of the food court several times during our stay. One night we sat outside of the food court eating desserts and watching the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom (the soundtrack of the fireworks is played over the GF Resort sound system). That was a nice touch.

We also used both pools late at night. They were of course practically all to ourselves due to the late hour.

Pros:

Beautiful setting, smaller sized grounds than many Disney resorts, opulent and reserved styling is great for grown-ups and those with more high-end tastes

Cons:

Cost, feels "less fun" or little kid oriented, unless of course your little kids are used to a 5-star, high-end lifestyle

Reviewed by jaghoffmom Review Date: 04/15/2018

everything about this resort is great. really appreciated how the cast members treat the guests
they treat you like royalty. rooms are beautiful and really enjoyed the view. stayed there in March 2018 and hope to stay again.

Pros:

everything

Reviewed by mkymouse4ever Review Date: 12/14/2017

We stayed at GF TPV Dec 3 > 9th. We had a few bumps in the road but overall we always enjoy our stays at WDW.
Valet / luggage. pulled up to front of GF and wave to area way over on side away from center. Guy finally walks over and said we where checking in and had luggage, he seemed upset it wasn't just to park car. He said "i'll get a cart" but he actually stopped on way to cart and tried to get another family to let him park car > but they also had luggage. Then he walked from there and slowly made way to middle, where he stopped to talk to a couple to buddy CM's > I finally started tossing luggage out of car and he decided he better get cart. Then he wanted to give me a quick rundown on tipping of valet and luggage people....... Really.
We had done online check in, prior to arrival but due to earlier in year experience we stopped at desk on arrival, {about noon} even thou it showed no room assignment yet. Our front desk CM was sarcastically polite. When you know they are being straight out rude, but smiling and saying the "proper" thing at the same time. No room not ready.. and will not be ready any time soon.... No could not check our 1 request of no dormer room. Cause did not want to go to epcot > return late and be in a dormer room being told thats it... . So we go to epcot. Park car and phone goes off > room ready. And its a dormer. We decided to stay at epcot and deal with it later. WE returned about 6pm and go to room. Thought we would be open minded since it was a "new" building to us. Sago Cay. Upon entering room > had beautiful dead on top to castle view when out on balcony but we have 1 bed. I'm visiting with my sister. We call front desk from phone. This is not going to work. We wind up on phone for 20 minutes and are actually told "the couch is a pull out too". Also politely rude. We replied did not pay GF prices to sleep on couch pull out. Finally the said ground floor boca chia but the TPV will not be as good. Fine we go check that out. Its not as good its BETTER. Now you can see the entire front of the MK by turning your head 1 inch to left. Our next experience was trying to take a nice hot bath. 1st no hot water, not even warm. Then finally it came on for a few seconds and back to cold. It repeated this syndrome our whole trip. Decided to call about this in am, as it was getting late. The next am > good thing we had not called yet cause the toliet had backed up {{looked like from entire resort}} So we called about water, toliet. Oh, sis goes to take out medication in am from fridge and its not cold. Nothing is cold. There is also no dial or button to adjust so added to list. Yes, they will send plumber asap. But the fridge is not a fridge, its a cooler and they will send a fridge for medications...... Which we should of been told prior. As we stored our medications with valet for refridgeration prior to recieving room. They knew we had to keep it refrigeratored. Well the water issue was a little better but it never was normal. The fridge was huge and also not very cold. Took up a lot of floor space. Toliet was fine rest of trip.
The location of Boca Chia is very central. Pool was beautiful and warm. Quite crowded for december but it was 80 the day we went.
Bus, monorail and boat where all great, hardly waited for anything.
They changed the self parking area since we where here last time and took part of valet area which is so much closer and a way better idea.
Mousekeeping was spot on and timely every day. No calls saying "you want us to clean today?" no one knocking on door at 8am.... Always friendly in halls too.
But we did miss the daily turn down which was always special. Not the same thing if you have to call for it.

Pros:

Beauty, location, pool

Cons:

occassionaly some castmembers [politely rude], plumbing issues

Reviewed by Disneyhenry Review Date: 09/14/2016

We stayed at GF for 3 nights after our 14 day EBPC, in my room was DH, DS (age 7) and myself. My sis traveled with us along with her DH and DD (age 7). I paid for a Lagoon View, she had reserved a Garden View. Upon check in we were both told we had adjoining room (she arrived 3 hours after me) but come to find out we were in 2 different building, I had no problem with her pixie dust upgrade to a Lagoon View, until I check in and looked at a tree! I called the front desk and said that I was disappointed in the fact that I was looking at a tree and my sis was looking at the 7 sea lagoon. The gal was very confused because she said she was looking at our reservation and we had adjoining rooms, after research she found out they gave my sis the wrong room. The Cast Member then upgraded us to a MK view in the same building as my sis - needless to say I was very happy. DH, my Brother in Law and myself fell in love with this resort, the walking distance to Poly, Monorail to MK and easy access to Epcot. The layout was perfect, I was a little worried that I wouldn't like this resort but it is now my favorite. We rented a Cabana for an afternoon (only GF and CR have Cabana's) where we had great service, relaxed and watched some football while the kids played in the pool. They loved the pool games and the slide was excellent!
Room layout was nice, bathroom stocked with plenty of towels, soaps, lotions and robes.
1st night we had a screaming toddler off and on for 2 hours, not really the resorts fault, but messed with my sleep. I loved the beds, DH thought they were to soft.
The quick service menu was not as large as CS or WL, but we made it work. However the day we went to check out we headed down at 5:45 am to eat breakfast only to find out they only had pizza until 6:30, with so many early flights I was really surprised they didn't start breakfast at 5 am.
Overall I will give this resort a perfect 10! Looking forward to staying there again, but I promise my DS that we will stay at CR next trip.

Pros:

Location, Cast Members, Resort Layout, Pool

Cons:

Quick Service

Reviewed by bellebookworm9 Review Date: 08/22/2014

My friend and I stayed here for the first time for one night, 8/18-8/19. I gave him the choice between a theme park view room at the Contemporary or an outer building garden view here, and this is what he chose. During online check in, I requested either Boca Chica or Big Pine Key, with the hopes of getting a pool view, but put in no further requests.

My friend stopped to check us in around 8:30am. When I arrived around 10, I stopped at the security guard shack, feeling I’d rather be safe than sorry about trying to use my band at the registered guests side. The guard was rather cross with me. He scanned my band, asked me what I was doing there, then requested to see photo ID. When I told him the reservation wasn’t in my name, he said he needed to see ID of the person who it was under-that has never happened to me before. My friend is a CM so he often goes to register us before we arrive and no other resort has given us this trouble. When I explained that he had already been to check in the guard rudely told me to just go in and park.

With that out of the way, I parked in the self-serve lot and took my bags in to Bell Services. Our room was not ready yet so I boarded the monorail to Magic Kingdom. The monorail was the only transportation we used at this resort but we never really had any problems. There was one time when they needed to reboot the system, which resulted in the A/C being turned off for a few minutes, but that was a very minor inconvenience.

Around 1:30, I received a text that our room was 8426 (Boca Chica) and it was ready, so I immediately headed back, stopping to pick up my bags on the way. It’s like the room assigners knew exactly what I wanted! We were on the fourth floor and had a nice view of the courtyard pool and grounds. The room itself was beautiful and I really like the new décor; I feel it’s much less stuffy than the old pastels and floral designs. I also got a kick out of the GF monogram on the throw pillows, as those are my initials! We had a connecting door and the insulation was very thin; at 3am I could hear the neighbors’ phone ringing and them sneezing.

We ate at Grand Floridian Café and Gasparilla’s Island Grill; both were very good. We enjoyed both pools and I thought the slide at the Beach Pool was the second best I’ve been on (beat only by Boardwalk). The lounge chairs were cushioned, not the plastic ones at all other resorts, and there was a cast member from the poolside bar wandering around checking to see if anyone needed drinks or food.

There was a commercial being filmed in the lobby for Disney Parks online, so we were politely asked to move from the couch we were occupying as to not be in the shot.

Like a previous poster, I was concerned about this resort feeling too upscale, as it has in the past when I’ve visited. However, it was very enjoyable for the night and I would consider a longer stay, if only I could afford it!

Pros:

Beautiful rooms, great pools, enjoyable restaurants, monorail access

Cons:

Grumpy security guard, very little soundproofing between rooms