Reviews of Disney Transportation Boat, Monorail, Bus, & Skyliner

Reviewed by SharW Review Date: 11/14/2013

While easy to use, you can wait a long time and buses can be very overcrowded. Needs to be better coordination of buses going to early opening parks. Waiting for bus at the Beach Club to go to Animal Kingdom on early opening day. Saw 4 Magic Kingdom buses (for a park that wasn't even open yet) come and go. Waited for over 30 minutes for bus. Employee at bus stop logging arriving and leaving times said that if the bus leaving the Yacht Club was full, they would have to bypass the Beach Club and the people at the Beach Club would just have to wait and hope the next bus wasn't full. When the bus finally arrives, they tried to pile everyone on that have been waiting (by the time the bus arrived, there must have been 25-30 people waiting) - bus was packed. Husband, grandson and I had to stand (which I don't mind). Bus driver was going extremely fast and had to slam on brakes for a stop light. Needless to say, everyone was sent flying. Luckily the couple sitting in front of my grandson caught him and kept him from falling. Everyone that was standing was pushed forward creating a very dangerous situation.

Pros:

Easy to use

Cons:

can wait a long time and can be overcrowded

Reviewed by DisneyJunkie Review Date: 11/01/2013

On the whole Disney transportation is good. The monorail has the distinction of being both transportation and a ride in and of itself. The boats and ferries are also good means of getting around from place to place, in part because they run with some regularity. The problem area, however, is with the buses, in particular with how they run to/from the resorts. I stay at the Wilderness Lodge fairly often, and the bus transportation there is pretty bad....in terms of the timing of when the bus you need actually arrives. In most instances, you'll have to sit through multiple buses coming and going to other destinations before the one you want arrives. It's ridiculous.

Pros:

Monorail and boat/ferry info are good.

Cons:

Bus transportation, having enough of them is a big issue.

Reviewed by DeanMoriarity Review Date: 09/08/2013

This review is painful; but it needs to be done. First the good news. The monorail is still quick, efficient and a lot of fun to ride. I enjoy the monorail just as much as I did when I was a kid in the early 80's. As a resort guest, the lines are never long and you get from here to there quickly with little to no wait. I wish the monorail could be expanded to include more than just the MK, Epcot, and a couple of hotels. The monorail gets three out of the 4 points I give WDW transportation.

Bus Transportation. What happened Disney? It used to be a great choice. Back in the 80's, I never had an issue. But as time went on, I saw the bus service deteriorate with each succeeding trip to WDW. I stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside the last week of August in 2013. That said, bus transportation was my only choice. More often than not, there was an issue. Disney has the POR bus service paired with the POR French Quarter. Why? Being these are two very popular hotels, it is understandable that the lines for the buses would be the longest. Time and time again, no matter what park I was at, the lines for POR and PORFQ were the longest. I'd say the solution would be to separate the routes and give each hotel their own bus. Sounds like an easy solution. However, i noticed that this problem is not unique to the POR. At one point, I took a bus from the Contemporary only to find that it was paired with the Polynesian. I've seen that the value resorts pair up too. So it looks like the high end hotels also have to deal with this issue along with the low end and moderate resorts.

The bus service to and from Downtown Disney is horrendous. They really need to add buses to this route. On the afternoon of 8/27, it actually took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to get from Downtown Disney back to the POR. 75 minutes for a ride that's a little over a mile. You'd think they'd make transportation to and from the largest shopping district WDW has a bit easier.

Another problem that I encountered daily was watching multiple buses for another park come and go before the one I was waiting for would arrive. It was common to see two buses for another park go by. One day I actually saw three Epcot buses come back to back to back. That's three buses, all going to Epcot come in less than a minute. At what point does the third bus in line call dispatch for reassignment? Is bad management the reason?

What does this add up to? Overcrowded buses, that's what. More often than not, I didn't get a seat. We were just packed on like a bunch of cattle. My heart goes out to those traveling with young children. They had it twice as bad as I did. And leads me to my next point;safety. Just how safe is it for a bus to be overloaded like that on a daily basis. Is this just an accident waiting to happen? I think it's kind of ironic to think the most dangerous ride in all of WDW is the bus ride back to the hotel.

My last point for the WDW transportation system is how they handle handicapped passengers. My concern is that putting a handicapped person on an overcrowded bus with too many tired and irritable passengers is a dangerous situation. In a real emergency with passengers in a panic, a handicapped passenger would be in great peril. The solution here would be for WDW to have their own para-transit service. This is done in cities all across the USA. I like the fact that WDW has always been accessible to the handicapped and the elderly but i think it would behoove them to improve upon this service.

None of this is a matter of money. Disney has already put a lot of money behind the bus service. Read other reviews. Often we here of empty buses going to places no one wants to go to. This issue is a matter of poor management. Disney needs to reorganize and hire the right people to make the bus service world class. It can be done.

Pros:

monorail is good

Cons:

bus transportation

Reviewed by Mich97 Review Date: 08/29/2013

We always use the WDW transportation system. Love the convenience. But sometimes when leaving a park waits can be long waiting for the bus, and then you can end up standing.

Pros:

convenient

Reviewed by bellebookworm9 Review Date: 07/31/2013

I have been an advocate of Disney transportation for many years. This trip we rented a car, and it was the best decision I ever made. It was easy to find our way around the property, convenient to just leave when we wanted to, and so nice not to be stuffed in a bus with a crazy amount of other people at the end of the night.

However, we did use the transportation options a couple of times while staying at Art of Animation. On a Saturday night, a friend went to Downtown Disney (we dropped her off). She took the bus back around 12:30am and said she only waited about 10 minutes.

On Sunday, we took the monorail from the TTC to MK, as well as from MK to and from the Polynesian. Each time, there was less than a 1 minute wait and it wasn't too crowded, which was wonderful.

We also took the bus from and to MK that same day around 7:15pm and 9:15pm. The wait was 10 minutes or less.

At the end of the night, when Extra Magic Hours were over at 1am, we needed to get back to the TTC to pick up the car. The monorails had stopped running at midnight, and there was no bus; they were forcing everyone to take the ferry boat. While the wait wasn't long, they do make you sit for quite a while before departing, and the trip was filled with mosquitoes and other bugs. I was very disappointed that this was our only option.

Pros:

Easy to use

Cons:

No bus to TTC from MK

Reviewed by Aquila163 Review Date: 07/31/2013

I get what 20 minute average wait means. Sometimes 10 minutes, sometime 30 minutes. I have arthritis and walk with a cane so I also get and appreciate handicap access. I think it's time Disney consider dedicated ECV transportation vehicles. I waited with my wife with my cane 1 1/2 hours while 4, yes FOUR, consecutive buses loaded 2 ECV's each with their families and the buses were then full. One family loaded an ECV and 12 family members. It seems the only qualification to get these things is enough money as it was obvious many users had no experience with them. One woman with about an 8 year old girl sitting on here lap driving the ECV crashed into my wife. When you wait a long time at a big resort like Riverside or Caribbean there may have been several buses filled by EVC's that simply never came around the resort. I understand and appreciate Disney's requirement to provide handicap access for those of us that need it. The explosion of ECV use is costing people a lot of park time and I'm sure that translates into less money spent in parks and I know it makes some people who need handicap access choose not to go again and endure the looks from people waiting for buses.

Pros:

Bus stop are closer than parking lots

Cons:

Electric convenience vehicles

Reviewed by MM from Connecticut Review Date: 06/02/2013

In 4 years, this was the first time we saw Cast Members with clipboards keeping tracking of bus schedules at the hotel during peak times. We even got a free Fast Pass of choice to park we were visiting because we waited more than 20 minutes for a bus. In the evening, especially after fireworks at Epcot and Magic Kingdom, it would be great if extra buses from parks that are closed (Animal Kingdom, Water Parks) could be sent to help. Lines are extremely long and buses are not as frequent as they should be during peak times at night when park closes.

Pros:

Convenient, and Disney is continually improving system

Cons:

long lines at closing time at parks

Reviewed by mamandragon Review Date: 05/27/2013

Can't give it a 0 or negative number - wish I could though!!! My adult daughter and I just finished our stay at Disney World (There from May 10 to 16) and were quite disappointed in the service that the shuttles to the parks provide. The Magic Kingdom buses were sometimes few and far between. We were staying at Port Orleans Riverside. On the one day we talked with a lady who was there for an hour and a half and who had counted 17 other park buses before a Magic Kingdom bus arrived. She was with her elderly parents who were in scooters so it was a long wait. The buses, when they arrived, were very overcrowded and we stood up on most of our bus trips. We are back and now planning our next adventure to Disney and we’re hoping that the bus problems will be resolved by the time we go back. The concept of the park shuttles is great but leave yourself lots of time getting to where you are going – especially if your have breakfast/lunch/dinner reservations.

Pros:

Absolutley NONE

Cons:

Wait times, Hit and Miss Kingdom Buses

Reviewed by TheGrumpyDwarf Review Date: 05/20/2013

If I could give the buses in Disney a 0 rating it would still be too high.
complained about waits to/from parks to Wilderness lodge my entire stay, but got nothing but crickets in response.
1 hour was a common wait time for a bus to/return from a park.
spent over $200 getting around in cabs the service was so bad.
Repeated complaints were met with yawns as I guess this is not the first time someone has had issues with the bus service.
Actually would have been better not to have bus service at all. At least we would have known what to expect.

Disney has lost not only my family of 6 vacation dollars, but my son's and daughter will not be bringing our future grandkids to a Disney property.

Next time we'll skip Orlando....

Pros:

absolutely no positives to report

Cons:

wait times, wait times and wait times. Oh did I mention the wait times?

Reviewed by bellebookworm9 Review Date: 05/10/2013

This was the best transportation I've experienced to date.

5/7: I took a bus to Epcot around 12:30 and it pulled up just as I got to the stop. Returning to Pop at 2pm I waited maybe 5 minutes. Coming back to Epcot once again in the evening, a five minute wait.

5/8: Monorail from TTC to MK arrived almost immediately. Going from MK to Pop Century at 5:30, the bus was waiting at the stop.

5/9: I waited 10-15 minutes for a DHS bus around 12:30. Hopping from the Studios to Animal Kingdom around 2pm I waited another 10-15 minutes. Taking the bus back to Pop around 4pm there was a 10 minute wait. Going to Downtown Disney in the evening for an early dinner I just missed the bus but another one came within 10 minutes, and returning from the PI bus stop it came within 5 minutes. I waited very briefly for a bus to MK around 8:50pm. Just before the 11pm parade, I exited the park and there was a humongous line at the bus stop. 5 buses were dispatched within 25 minutes which greatly alleviated the queue.

5/10: One bus to MK filled up right around 9:30am, but another one arrived immediately after. Monorails to and from TTC ran continuously with almost no wait. Returning to Pop at 1pm the bus arrived at the same time I did.

Pros:

Short waits, short rides

Cons:

Crowds at park closing

Other topics in Walt Disney World Transportation