Reviews of Disney Dream Overall Experience

Disney Dream Overall Experience

Reviewed by TLynch Review Date: 09/26/2018

Family of 14 went this past summer and it was the best family vacation we've ever had.

Pros:

Service was exceptional; food was great; entertainment was great. Our servers and the lovely lady servicing our cabin were the best.

Cons:

There is nothing I can complain about.

Reviewed by TRACY225 Review Date: 08/15/2014

Would never recommend this Cruise Line for any families with autistic children. We have two boys who love Disney and our family loves cruises. Those are our two vacations of choice. So we thought this would be an amazing experience and I literally cried the whole time because our boys could not enjoy the children's deck that is dedicated to kids.... and that has all the cool fun stuff that is advertised that the boys wanted to do. PARENTS ARE NOT ALLOWED :( They simply cannot be left there without us due to their disability and would not go with a cast member. So that ONE day for about an hour that we could "visit" and check it out was very upsetting for me. Our boys LOVED it there but yet after that hour could not and would not return on their own. I think it is ridiculous that parents cannot enjoy all those activities with their kids. This was the worst family vacation we have ever taken. Like I said I cried and was very disappointed that we spent more on a 5 night cruise ($5000) that was a waste of time (for our family) than we did coming up in September at the Disney Parks for 7 nights ($4000). Disney please have exceptions for kids with disabilities such as autism where parents can go to that whole floor dedicated to the kids at ANY TIME during the cruise. I honestly felt ripped off and almost called to get some money back.....it really was not fun and not Disney to us :(

Pros:

Inside cabins were nice

Cons:

Food was just okay. Not Autism friendly at all.

Reviewed by Momof2DisneyPrincesses Review Date: 04/20/2017

While onboard the Disney Dream May 2016, I accidentally left a drawer full of clothes ($400 worth of clothes). After leaving Port Canaveral, we headed for Disney World when I realized I did not have my swimsuit (as it was in the drawer with the other clothing items) of our stateroom. I immediately called Disney Cruise customer service, who transferred me to lost and found to report the issue. After emailing back and forth with Disney's lost and found manager, I was told that they had NOT found my items in the stateroom and there was "nothing" they could do. That was it? Having been more than 16 times to Disney World and 4 Disney Cruises, this was definitely NOT the customer service we expect from Disney.

Pros:

Beautiful ship, fun shows

Cons:

Terrible customer service

Reviewed by JackM Review Date: 02/18/2011

Posted by: gardajohn Sun February 13, 2011 (moved to Disney Dream category)

Returned this morning from a 3 night cruise on the Disney Dream. The ship itself is fantastic and the staff are very warm and friendly. This was our first cruise. Having to pay for non-alcoholic beverages and snacks on all decks other than Deck 11 sometimes felt a little like Disney was nickel and diming us. It wouldn't hurt the cruise line to provide free popcorn for the shows rather than sell bags as they do. Also, I really didn't like having an automatic gratuity added at meal times when I ordered a glass of wine. We prepaid our gratuities and it felt somewhat over the top that the server who kept our water glasses full received an additional tip for bringing me one glass of wine.

Pros:

Beautiful ship (Disney Dream), the stateroom was lovely. We had one of "those" animated portholes and it was really terrific. Felt just like we really had a porthole except that Pluto and others would occasionally make an appearance.

Cons:

Children's dinner menus were uninspired. Lines to be photographed with the characters were too long just like being at Disney World.

Reviewed by Cswans5 Review Date: 09/28/2018

I recently took a 7-day cruise solo on the Disney Dream touring the Eastern Caribbean. Prior to this, I had sailed with family three times on the Disney Magic and once on the Disney Wonder, so my review will reflect some differences I observed, as well as the "solo" experience. I was placed with one other couple for dining, and we were similar ages and found lots to chat about each night. When it came to entertainment, I enjoyed being able to pick and choose what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. I loved having my room to myself (a porthole view room on an upper deck.) I only took one excursion tour, but it was one my family wouldn't have gone on, so again, it was great to be able to do what I wanted. There were a few times I felt a bit lonely, but with the terrific service and attention I received, I didn't have many of these moments. Would I do it again? Maybe, in the future, but I'd probably choose to travel with friends or family next time.

Pros:

The ship had lovely new-to-me dining rooms and the super-fun AquaDuck.

Cons:

I felt that the ship was very crowded in comparison to the Magic and Wonder. I didn't like the adult pool area at all. The pools were weirdly shaped and not at all set up for a leisurely swim. Also, the area had a door that meant families were constantly parading through the area. Not restful at all in comparison to the set-up on the Magic and Wonder.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/26/2018

our first Disney Cruise May 2018 ...we will never go on another cruise line again except DISNEY..the best

Pros:

service food entertainment

Cons:

pool areas

Reviewed by Bobdes Review Date: 05/26/2016

OK... this was our 3rd Disney Cruise and our 2nd time aboard the DREAM. The ship is majestic and beautiful and never fails to impress me. I did note, however, the carpeting starting to show some signs of wear. Especially near the elevators. No big deal.

Our stateroom #6066 was very clean and comfortable. No issues at all. Everything ran very smoothly.

The shows were all excellent even though we have seen them before. The day at sea, they had "Magic Dave" perform in the theater and his show was fantastic! very funny and the tricks were super! The Buccaneer Blast Fireworks were great, however, I wish they would bring Pirate Mickey back or maybe incorporate him in with Jack Sparrow. After the fireworks, there is a (unannounced) buffet in Cabanas that is there till around 11:30PM.

On the topic of meals, the food was good, but some of the meats were a bit dry. The server (Dan from Indonesia) was the BEST and very accommodating, so that made up for any issue with the meats. During our dinner at Animator's Palate, the "Crush" feature was not working on the screen closest to our table.

The Cove Café was a nice spot to get away from the crowds and enjoy a really good cup of coffee. The coffee is NOT included in the cruise and they charge it to your room, however, the baked goods (excellent) are free!

The one thing that I need to express is that Disney really needs to start enforcing the "adult ONLY" rule in certain areas of the ship. parents should also be told to accompany their kids to the buffet lines. We encountered so many kids up at the line who were either too short to see and reach items on the buffet or who could not understand English so the workers had a hard time helping them. Many adults tried to be sneaky when it came to their kids in the adult areas. To me, it does not make sense to have a section of Deck 9 adults only, but Deck 10, right above is family and then Deck 11 is adults only again! All 3 should be for adults. It just makes it easier to enforce and ensure that those adults who are traveling with no kids and those whose kids are in the various programs to enjoy themselves. In conversation, one of the ships crew even stated that this was way more kids than they usually get on the ship.

BTW... I am not a kid hater. Actually the opposite. ;-)

Pros:

Disney Service A+

Cons:

Kids in adult only areas

Reviewed by florsaucedo1696 Review Date: 08/20/2014

We just got back from a 7 night cruise on Fantasy. I have to say when I book another cruise I will be booking on Magic or Wonder. Fantasy is a nice ship very clean very friendly staff. However Fantasy is very crowded the pools are overcrowded. When we have sailed with Magic and Wonder my kids enjoyed the pools and had a very hard time getting them out. On Fantasy my kids were disgusted from how dirty and small they were they didn't even go in at all. They have the Mickey pool and Goofy pool way too close together which makes it very crowded in the area, everyone seems to be in one small area.

There was 4 of us on the trip. They charged me $366.00 for the week. Yes it was $366.00 which for what we pay for the trip wouldn't that be included in the price? I thought it was a litte much for being a single mother that was just trying to take the kids on an unforgettable trip. I understand a tip is a good thing for their extra time and efforts but that was alot of money since we already pay to have the room cleaned and a good service for dinner.

Other than that we loved it and will keep sailing thru disney but on Magic and Wonder.

On Magic and Wonder i feel its more intimate and personal.

Pros:

CLEAN/NICE STAFF/GREAT FOOD

Cons:

Crowded Pools/Overcrowded ship/overpriced tips

Reviewed by nicoleamidon Review Date: 02/08/2015

We took the 3 night Bahamas trip mid-January, 2015 on the Dream. This was our fourth Disney cruise but our first time on one of the newer ships. We loved being on the Magic and Wonder before and were worried the larger ship might not feel as personal or might feel over crowded.

The Dream was terrific! The ship is definately larger but it wasn't a problem at all. My husband and I love to walk the promenade deck (gotta burn off all those dinner calories!) and doing more stairs was fine for our active family. Animator's Palate is an upgrade from the older ships - even our teens enjoyed talking to Crush. They also liked the sports deck, especially mini golf. The pools were busy but other common areas like the theaters, lobby, shops, etc. never felt too crowded.

Our balcony room was several floors below Cabanas (so noise wasn't a problem) but it was odd to walk through the restaurant in order to access the stairs or deck and doing this could be tricky when food service was in full swing. It just seems like poor planning and very un-Disney like. The overall service was excellent, of course, and we liked our catamaran and snorkle trip in Nassau.

The port of Nassau isn't worth too much time (as many previous reviewers have pointed out) but we really had fun sailing and swimming as a family. One tip - be sure to ride the AquaDuck early and often (consider doing this the very first thing upon boarding, even). It got extremely crowded towards the end of the cruise with long waits. Our kids rode it multiple times with no line on embarkation day. We just packed our suits in our day bags and they practically had the pools and slides to themselves for several hours.

The technology on the ship is fantastic and we loved the moving artwork on the walls. We missed having a "trunk" of shelves in our room - stateroom storage was adequate but there was less than on the older ships. The Walt Disney Theater was absolutely beautiful and one night we sat in one of the small balconies on the side of the auditorium. This provided an interesting view of the stage and our kids liked being able to see down into the floor of the stage where props were raised and lowered, cast members prepped and scenery was moved around. We got an "inside" peek at how Disney creates some of their on-stage magic!

We don't think being on the Dream has ruined the older ships for us at all and we plan to return to whichever ship is going where we want to cruise next.

Pros:

another beautiful ship, great shows, teens loved mini golf

Cons:

walking through Cabanas to access stairs

Reviewed by wattage Review Date: 04/11/2013

My wife, daughter and I sailed on the Disney Dream on April 4, 2013 for a three day cruise to Nassau and Castaway Cay. We had cabin 7517 – an inside stateroom. My wife’s parents also sailed with us. We are DCV members and paid for our cruise with points.

Parking – There is ample parking at the terminal in the parking deck next to the ship. Regardless of where you park in the deck, you are only a short distance to the elevators or stairs. The deck is clean and seemed secure. I was very comfortable leaving the car. Parking is $15 per day for the deck and there is the option to park in an uncovered “preferred lot” for $20 more.

Boarding Process – Once you enter the terminal, you encounter security on the ground floor. Here you put your luggage through the x-ray machine and walk through a metal detector. This process took us a total of about 10 minutes – including waiting in line and screening.

Ticketing/Keys – Once through security you climb an escalator to the second floor of the terminal building and encounter Disney’s embarkation process. You enter a line based on your past Disney cruising experience. This was our first Disney cruise so we joined the longest line . Even though the line was long, the wait was less than 10 minutes to get to a counter agent. Once all of our paperwork was reviewed, we received our “Keys.” With keys in hand, we got in the line to board the ship. This line did take a few minutes because you’re forced to take pictures before boarding the ship.

Once on Board – When you reach the ship, you are asked for your family’s name and they announce your arrival to everyone in the boarding area. Little kids seemed to be impressed, but most adults seemed to think it was a little hokie. The main boarding area is pure Disney – well themed and beautiful. A large statue of Admiral Donald Duck is in the lobby and everyone is trying to get their pictures with Donald. The six elevators in the main area are all crowed! We went further forward on the ship and found another set of elevators that no one seemed to be using and got on one within 30 seconds of pushing the elevator button. Staterooms are not available until 1:30 so I took my daughter to the teen club, and my wife took her parents to the Enchanted Garden for the lunch buffet.

From the time we parked, got out of the car, and walked on board the ship, it was about 35 minutes. We got there right at noon, and my in-laws were there at 11:00a.m. My in-laws said it took them about an hour to board.

Stateroom – Our stateroom was on deck seven closer the bow (forward) of the ship. The signage in the halls is easy to follow and well positioned throughout the ship. Our cabin had a queen bed with a fold out sofa bed and a fold down ceiling bunk bed. We did not use the bunk bed as my daughter used the sofa bed. There is plenty of storage space under the bed and in the closets. The bathroom was large enough so as not to make you feel claustrophobic. The bathroom had a bathtub that was not quite full sized, but was large enough to take a bath in if needed. Towels were very thick and changed every day by our cabin steward.

Food – The lunch buffet in the Enchanted Garden restaurant on Deck two was very good. The lamb chops were the best I’ve ever had!! There is rotational dinning on the Disney Dream – meaning that you eat at a different restaurant every night, but keep the same serving staff. Our first night was in the Enchanted Garden, second night was in the Royal Palace, and our third night was in the Animators Palate. The food was good, not great. The only real complaint I had was the escargot in the Royal Palace was way over cooked and was very tough – life chewing on a rubber ball. I could not eat any of the snails. So I asked for and received another appetizer. Service was excellent when we were at table #63, but when we changed to table #100, it was not as good. The last night, our server pressured us to provide only “excellent” ratings on the comment cards for her service.

Activities and Ports of Call – We stopped in Nassau and at Disney’s private island Castaway Cay. We went to the Pirates’ Museum in Nassau, after it stopped raining! The museum is a short walk from the ship and is well worth the time. We all enjoyed the museum’s exhibits –including the life sized pirate ship you get to walk through! Castaway Cay is a lovely beach island. Disney does a good job of providing enough beach chairs and floats for everyone. The only downer about Castaway Cay is the food – it’s bad. Way over cooked and bland - what I thought was a piece of chicken was actually a piece of over cooked fish. Even the hamburgers were over cooked and cold – could not even begin to melt the cheese on the cheese burgers. If we ever go back, we’ll come ashore after having our lunch on the ship. There are current movies shown in the movie theater. We saw “Oz the Great and Powerful” one afternoon. The Aquaduck water ride is not to be missed – it’s a complete blast for all ages. My wife and I rode it twice!! Lines can get long so go in the morning, or after 5:30pm.

Debarkation – The ship docks around 5:30am. Everyone is expected to be out of their cabins by 8:00am, and be off the ship by 9:00am. You have the option of carrying your own luggage off the ship, or having the porters take it to the terminal for you to find later. We chose to carry our own luggage and were we off the ship by 8:00am and in line for customs by 8:10am. Customs took a while as the lines were rather long. We were at our car in the parking garage by 8:45. Parking was $15 per day.

Pros:

Adult only areas, staff, Castaway Cay

Cons:

Noise in main restaurants

Other topics in Overall Experience Disney Dream and Fantasy