Reviews of Be Our Guest -Counter Service Lunch

New Fantasyland Expansion

Read prices, menu items, and more about Be Our Guest

Services: Table Service , Quick Service , Kiosk

Reviewed by AdventurelandFan Review Date: 02/15/2020

As a reasonable fan of Beauty and the Beast, I expected to like this much-hyped location. But it was, in January of 2020 at least, the absolute worst experience I had on the whole property. The fries I had were cold, thin, and over-fried. They were ... challenging for my teeth, to say the least. The sandwich was utterly forgettable. And the onion soup was nearly as expensive as what you can find in Chefs de France in EPCOT, but orders of magnitude worse. (Seriously do not order the onion soup here. You're just throwing money away that you could be applying to the best onion soup you've ever had over in France.)

The theming is overtly fake and plasticky. I don't even think it does particular justice to the parts of the movie it's trying to depict. Most disappointing is the rose under glass. On not-that-close inspection it's no more complicated than an LED Christmas ornament.

To try to explain the theming disappointment, it's perhaps useful to compare it to the Tangled bathroom area/transition zone close to the Haunted Mansion. Both it and Be Our Guest are rough contemporaries in Fantasyland, but the theming in the Tangled area has a nuance that Be Our Guest lacks. There's a gradation to the coloring of buildings that occurs in the Tangled area that makes them look somehow more real, more sophisticated. The bathrooms have authentic frying pans on the wall that aren't explained. There are wanted posters, cleverly written, for various characters in the movie. And the pavement leading up to the area has hoof prints implied to have been made by the key horse in the film. It's not that the area tries to recreate scenes, but rather to put you into the world of Tangled.

By contrast, Be Our Guest seems much less sophisticated. It's actually trying to recreate scenes, with each room being a different phase of the film. But it's both too on-the-nose and less artful than what's going on in the Tangled area. On the whole, I was left severely disappointed in the theming, which made the poor food quality all the more inexcusable.

The whole place feels to me as if it needs refurbishment, giving priority to the live-action version rather than the original animated film. Making it look like the Emma Watson version of the film, and breaking it up into the several more rooms seen in that film — along with gloomy mood lighting — would do wonders for this restaurant.

I can't fairly comment on what the service is like, since there isn't any during lunch to speak of. Nor is that something that should be fairly judged as a deficit for this location — it's counter service at lunch, so genuine service from waiters shouldn't be expected. Still the name of the restaurant does make you think you're getting some sort of treatment that will make you think you're a guest of some kind. Instead, the lack of service and the big rooms full of cramped tables does make it feel like a school cafeteria more than a restaurant.

Common wisdom about this place is to go for lunch. It's the cheapest way to get in and see the theming. But the theming is completely missable, and the price for lunch is actually too high for what you're getting. I wouldn't discount the possibility that one day I might do the full-service dinner here — just to see if it becomes more true to its namesake.

But I wouldn't go back for lunch — even if someone else were paying. It's genuinely that bad. Even if you have kids that love Beauty and the Beast, don't indulge them here. Almost every quick service joint in the whole of WDW is better than this. Go to Galaxy's Edge. Go to World Showcase. Heck, just go around the corner to Main Street USA. Go on a monorail and get off at the Poly.

Do ANYTHING to avoid lunch here.

Pros:

None — though I've not experienced the full-service dinner, which may be much better, if significantly more expensive.

Cons:

Theming, inability to in any way evoke the "Be Our Guest" sequence from the film, pricing way too high for the quality of the nearly-inedible food. Wholly overhyped location.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 02/06/2020

Fast casual dining

Pros:

Good food people take care of you well

Cons:

To long to wait even with a reservation have to order food for lunch on computer had a group of 8 ordered on 3 seperate computers and the food didnt come out at the same time when food was ordered and placed at the same time. Not well planned

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 01/31/2020

I find it so strange when people constantly are recommending this restaurant. The only pro is being inside beasts castle! The food is far far far from good!

Pros:

In beasts castle, mobile order ahead of time, grey stuff

Cons:

Food was far from great, cold

Reviewed by Becky B Review Date: 07/24/2019

Lunch at Be Our Guest. You try very hard to get reservations for Be Our Guest. You get them and celebrate. Then when the time comes, you wait in a very long line outside to get in to the place, order your food from a machine, then wander around a crazy, loud, busy dining room to find an empty (not clean) table. We went with extended family, about 10 of us total, and it was a nightmare for all of us to find a place to sit. By the time our food came, I thought some of our party was going to lose their tempers (very out of character!). Food was very "ok" is the best I could say. Cold, severely over-cooked. If something doesn't come out right, good luck. There is no one you can find to help you. Not what you would expect from an experience requiring a reservation. We will likely never go back. I just don't know why anyone who goes once would find it something they would want to do again.

Pros:

Atmosphere is nice, snowing windows, stormy west wing

Cons:

Food is very overpriced and very poorly executed. Almost no level of service - self-service everything except delivery of food, no assistance available if food/things go wrong

Reviewed by Teach52 Review Date: 04/24/2019

Third time having lunch there and it will be our last. Don’t bother to pre-order as each time there has been some issue that resulted in us replacing our order. Very loud and takes a long time for tables to turn over and get cleaned.

Pros:

Room themes

Cons:

Very loud, food just so-so,

Reviewed by KimH134 Review Date: 04/20/2019

Other than the draw of eating in Beast's castle, I have no desire to eat lunch hear again with my family.

Pros:

Detailed atmosphere

Cons:

Food was not as good as everyone makes it out to be. My teenage boys left food behind, which is saying A LOT.

Reviewed by nkwyatt Review Date: 04/17/2019

Everyone else seems to love this place; we have eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner there -- a total of 4 meals -- and only had one positive experience.

Pros:

We had our best experience at dinner the first time we ate there; the second time was not as good. Service was acceptable but not comparable to other Disney dining experiences like Ohana, Whispering Canyon, etc. The food was okay but not exceptional.

Cons:

Lunch was very disappointing -- the food was bland, the staff was unprepared and a bit on the side of rude at times.

Reviewed by Challisgal Review Date: 02/26/2019

My travel friend loves this restaurant and insists on it every trip. I'm not quite as in love with it. The menu hasn't changed in years, but at least there are real plates and silverware, you can get your own refills and it's air conditioned. We usually eat in the music box room, which seems a little quieter than the others, but overall this place seems overrated to me.

Pros:

Real plates and silverware Can get own refills Air conditioning

Cons:

Menu hasn't changed appreciably in years Can be loud

Reviewed by Smoosher Review Date: 01/25/2019

We are Florida resident pass holders for quite a few years and have been trying to get reservations for Be Our Guest. I went on line every day for a few months. Finally the lunch reservations were made in May 2018 for Jan 20th, 2019. From most of the reviews we read, people praise this restaurant. I do not see why. They herd you in like cattle.The very loud main dining area has nice chandeliers but that is all. One side room has many great pictures from the movie and the other side room has statues of Belle & the Beast. The food is no better than any other over priced fast food in the complex. The French onion soup was luke warm with a solid block of cheese on top. We had to cut it with a knife to get to the broth. I love cheese and left more then half on a plate. It was too hard to chew. The sandwiches were OK at Best. Personally our party of five would not go back if dinner was free. We have eaten at the top and bottom end restaurants in the whole complex. This rates below almost all. I can only imagine what a $60.00 per person dinner would be like. Don't waste your money here.

Pros:

A few great pictures and statues.

Cons:

The food.

Reviewed by MKFan Review Date: 11/11/2018

We ate lunch here 10/24. Neither of us care for the whole grain bun/bread that the ham and cheese sandwich comes on, so they put in on bread that seemed like Texas toast. I thought it was was greasy and didn't care for the flavor of the butter/margarine they used. It just passed, but it was disappointing because we were here a few times over the years and that sandwich was always good. THEN beverages a Coke and a Sprite were so horrible tasting. I don't know what they did. It wasn't CO2, I was beginning to wonder if it was what the cleaned the nozzles with. We were in the music room, so I left and went to the main ballroom and it still didn't taste right, but not as horrible as in the music room. So, almost $5 for a beverage that we couldn't even drink. I tried different dispensers about 4 times. Of course they couldn't give us our money back, so they gave us a bottle of water to go.

It's nice to come here for a different dinning experience and to see the castle, but I come for lunch because there's nothing on the dinner menu I would eat and this time they couldn't even make a sandwich or provide a beverage.

Another thing, they had 3 forks left when I went up to get the silverwear and they never restocked the whole time we were there.

Pros:

To see the inside of the castle.

Cons:

Ham and cheese sandwich wasn't so great. Not able to get a beverage we paid for. Seating is chaotic. If there is a problem with your food, too bad.