Recipes Vegan Noodle Bowl ‘Ohana Polynesian Resort
Yield: 4-6 servings
¼ cup red Miso paste
1 ¼ cups mirin
¾ cup sake
2 cups vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
4 black peppercorns
1 yellow squash
3 peeled carrots
1 bunch asparagus
1 medium sized red onion
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
¼ cup canola oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Asian Barbecue Tofu:
¼ pound extra firm tofu
¼ cup Hoisin sauce
¼ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Asian garlic chili sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup corn starch
1 cup canola oil
1 ½ pounds Udon noodles
¼ pound BBQ tofu (above)
Vegetable mix for stir-fry (above)
1 pint Miso broth (above)
½ bunch cilantro “a.k.a.” coriander leaves
1 cup Asian garlic chili sauce
Method of Preparation:
1. In a saucepan, combine vegetable broth, bay leaves, peppercorns, sake, and mirin.
2. Bring contents to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Remove bay leaves and peppercorns and add Miso paste. Wisk until a homogenous solution is created.
1. Cut zucchini, yellow squash, red onion and peppers into a 1-inch dice.
2. Use a channel knife to create 4 grooves in the carrots and slice them into ¼ inch slices.
3. Cut asparagus into 1-inch segments, and mix all vegetables in a bowl and set aside.
Asian Barbecue Tofu:
1. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes.
2. In a saucepan combine Hoisin, ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, chili garlic sauce, and garlic.
3. Bring mixture to a boil stirring occasionally. Once it begins to boil, remove from heat and let cool.
4. Coat tofu with barbecue mixture and set aside for 2 hours.
5. Coat Marinated tofu in cornstarch and pan fry in canola oil. Set aside for plate assembly.
1. Cook Udon noodles in boiling water until fully cooked strain and separate into bowls while noodles are still hot.
2. Wok-fry vegetables in canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Now place vegetables on top of the noodles.
3. Garnish the bowls with the BBQ tofu.
4. Serve with Miso broth garnished with cilantro leaves, and Asian garlic chili sauce
Cooks' note : Do not use the tough bottoms of the asparagus in the stir-fry.