Recipes Rum Raisin Gugelhopf Dessert & Champagne Kiosk
Ingredients for cake:
1 cup golden raisins
1 ¼ cup Stroh rum or dark rum, to cover raisins
Melted unsalted butter for the pan
½ cup slivered almonds
1 ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened (2 ½ sticks)
2 cups confectioners' sugar
½ cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon Stroh rum or dark rum
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ each lemon – grated zest
7 each large egg yolks
6 each large egg whites
Pinch of salt
¾ cup sugar
2 ½ cup all-purpose flour
Method of Preparation:
1. In a small dish, place raisins and rum and cover. Let the raisins soak overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Brush the inside of a 6 cup tube or bundt pan with melted butter. Sprinkle with slivered almonds.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter with confectioner's sugar and cornstarch until pale and cream, 4 to 5 minutes, using the paddle attachment.
4. Add the rum, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time.
5. Place the egg whites in a clean bowl and beat until foamy using the whisk on your electric mixer. Add the salt and gradually pour in the sugar, until soft peaks form.
6. Drain the raisins. Using a rubber spatula, fold the flour into the butter and egg yolk mixture, in three additions. Gently fold in the egg whites, working slowly to avoid deflating them. Fold in the raisins.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared mold, using a rubber spatula to sweep the batter to the edges, so that the cake looks slightly concave (this will prevent it from rising too much in the center). Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean and dry, 60 to 70 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack before unmolding.