Recipes Mushroom Soup Vienna, Austria
Yield: 8 1-cup servings
1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
3 cups vegetable stock
5 medium ribs of celery, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
5 large carrots, chopped
12 large fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper, to taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Rinse and dry the porcini mushrooms. Place in 2 cups of cold water in a medium bowl; set aside to soak for at least four hours or overnight.
2. Place the vegetable stock in a large pot over medium heat and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until it begins to simmer. Stir in celery, onions, and carrots.
3. Strain the dried mushrooms, stirring the liquid into the stock. Chop porcinis into 1/4 inch pieces and add to the stock.
4. Stir in shiitake mushrooms and crimini mushrooms, cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for about an hour, or until vegetables are tender.
5. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add flour to make the roux, and cook, stirring constantly until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Remove 1 cup broth from soup and add to the roux, whisking constantly for 1 to 2 minutes or until roux slightly thickens and is free of lumps. Stir into soup.
7. Stir in parsley and dill. Purée soup with immersion blender for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
8. Add sour cream, whisking constantly for 1 to 2 minutes until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in warm bowls.