Recipes Arroz con Pato (Roast Duck with Cilantro Rice) Peru
A 4 – 5 pound duck, cut into 8 serving pieces
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup canola oil
2 – 12 ounce bottles light beer
1 cup water
2 cups long grain rice
1 cup frozen defrosted peas
1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Method of Preparation
1. Set the duck pieces in a shallow dish and rub in the lemon juice, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cover and refrigerate for six hours.
2. In a large heavy casserole, heat the oil over high heat until it hazes. Add the duck and brown it well on all sides. Drain off the fat from the casserole and add the beer and water. Bring liquid to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Transfer the duck to the plate, cover and keep warm.
3. Pour the liquid off and strain and measure 3 1/2 cups. Pour the liquid back to the casserole and bring it to a boil. Stir in the rice, bring liquid back to a boil, reduce the heat and cook the rice for 20 minutes, covered.
4. Stir in the peas, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Arrange the duck on the rice; cover the casserole and return it to low heat for a few minutes to heat the duck.
5. To serve, mound the rice and peas on a serving dish and arrange the duck pieces on top