Recipe New England Clam Chowder Beach Club Cape May Cafe Clambake
Yield: 1 gallon
1/2 lb onion, diced
1/2 lb celery, diced
12 oz red potatoes, large diced
2 cans chopped clams and juice
32 oz half & half
32 oz clam juice
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil
To Taste – white pepper
4 drops Tabasco
1 oz bacon grease (or oil)
1/2 lb roux
1/4 lb butter
1/4 lb flour
Melt butter, blend in flour to make roux.
1. In a 2 gallon stockpot, cook onion and celery in bacon grease until translucent.
2. Pour in chopped clams in juice, clam juice, diced potato and seasoning; blend well.
3. Bring to simmer over medium heat, for 5 – 10 minutes.
4. Add half & half, increase heat until it comes to a slow boil.
5. Add roux slowly, mixing well. Keep mixing until well incorporated.
6. Reduce heat – simmer for 15 minutes.