Recipe Baklava Greece
1/2 lb. Phyllo Pastry Sheets
3/4 cups melted Butter
1/2 lb. Walnuts or Almonds, chopped fine
1/4 cup Bread Crumbs
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Cloves
For the Syrup:
2 cups Sugar
1 cup Water
Juice of 1 Lemon, to taste
1. Place one pastry sheet in well-buttered 9×13 inch baking pan and brush with melted butter.
2. Place second pastry sheet on top of the first and butter again.
3. Repeat until you have 6 layers of buttered pastry sheets.
4. Mix walnuts or almonds, bread crumbs, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves.
5. Thickly sprinkle top pastry sheet with mixture and place the buttered pastry sheets over this.
6. Repeat in same manner until all ingredients have been used, ending with 6 pastry sheets.
7. Brush top with remaining butter and trim edges with a sharp knife.
8. Cut diagonal lines the length of the pan to make diamond shape pieces. Sprinkle with water.
9. Bake in moderate oven for about 1 hour or until golden brown.
To prepare syrup:
1. Boil sugar, water, and lemon juice for 10 minutes.
2. Pour hot syrup over cooked baklava.
3. Allow to stand for several hours before serving.