Recipe Apple Strudel Biergarten, Germany World Showcase – Epcot
½ cup bread flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 (one) egg yolk
¼ cup warm water
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 pounds apples, sliced
½ cup melted butter
4 tablespoons toasted breadcrumbs
¼ cup raisins
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Mix together the bread flour, all purpose flour, and salt in a mixing bowl using the dough hook on a mixer.
2. Slowly add the egg yolks, oil and warm water on medium speed until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl, but slightly sticks to the bottom of the bowl.
3. Remove from the mixing bowl and place in a sealed container covering with vegetable oil.
4. Place dough in refrigerator overnight.
5. Remove from refrigerator and gently wipe off the excess oil from the dough. For best results, place a clean, lint free towel on the kitchen counter and gently pull the dough with your hands until the dough is paper thin, shaping into a rectangle.
6. Once you have stretched out the dough, place 3 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs on the long end of the dough closest to you approximately 3 inches wide.
7. Mix together apples and raisings and place on top of bread crumbs. Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over apple mixture. Sprinkle remaining breadcrumbs over apple mixture.
8. With a pastry brush, brush melted butter on the dough that is exposed.
9. Grabbing the towel with the side where the apple mixture, roll the dough to the other end making sure that the apple mixture inside is even. Brush the outside of the dough with more of the melted butter.
10. Bake at 400ºF degrees for approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until dough is golden brown.
11. Let cool at room temperature for approximately 30 to 45 minutes, then slice with a serrated knife into 8 equal portions.