Reviews of Trattoria al forno - Dinner

View Menus at Trattoria al Forno Dining Location

A restaurant at Disney's BoardWalk which showcases classic Italian cuisine including handcrafted mozzarella made daily, fresh cavatelli pasta and pizzas baked in wood-burning ovens.

Trattoria al Forno is open daily for breakfast (7:30-11 a.m.) and dinner (5-10 p.m.). It opened December 18, 2014.

MENU: http://allears.net/dining/menu/trattoria-al-forno/dinner

CHILD MENU: http://allears.net/dining/menu/trattoria-al-forno/child-dinner

Reviewed by Ron S Review Date: 03/29/2015

We dined there this past Friday March 27 and had the best meal of our trip. The food and service were excellent. My wife had Semolina Tagliatelle alla Carbonara - with Guanciale while I had Sauteed Shrimp - with lemon, caper and anchovy butter with polenta. We both loved our entrees. This was a vast improvement of Cat Cora's Kouzzina.

Pros:

Great Food & Service

Reviewed by miketp Review Date: 03/24/2015

I am surprised by some of the negative reviews. Our server was friendly, polite, and helpful. He made excellent recommendations for wine pairings and brought a small free sample for my wife to try. She was very impressed with the chicken Parmesan. I had the beef bolognese and it was fork tender. We'd split a caprese salad and both felt the heirloom tomatoes were super fresh and delicious. We will definitely eat here again. The pizza delivered to the next table looked great. My only negative was that even with reservations we waited 20 minutes.

Pros:

Service foot quality

Cons:

Wait time

Reviewed by alfy Review Date: 03/23/2015

We were seated on a Friday night at about the time we reserved. Our table was a two-seat setup in the middle of a row of four-seat tables in the middle of the room, undoubtedly arranged that way so they could be pushed together in varying combinations. Not the best table, but not the worst. Our server promptly brought a flask of room-temperature water and bread, but no bread plates. We ordered pre-dinner drinks and our entrees at the same time. Unfortunately, the pre-dinner drinks arrived 10 minutes after the entrees when we asked the dinner-plate deliverer where the drinks were. A supervisor chanced by the table later to ask how we enjoyed the meal and we pointed out the discrepancy. It turned out the server had failed to turn in the drinks order. The server returned later and informed us that "due to her incompetence," the drinks would be comped. No apology. She must have been scolded. Our entrees, linguini a la vongole, were quite good, with lots of small clams, al dente pasta and a light olive oil-and-white-wine-based sauce. The drinks, spritzes, were correct. We hope they'll work out the bugs as this restaurant offers great promise and an authentic menu. As it stands, Via Napoli is still the best choice among the Italian restaurants in the Epcot area. (We have heard that too-quick service can be a problem in WDW table service restaurants, and have been advised to order the courses separately if we're not in a hurry. We will take more care to do that from now on.)

Pros:

Food quality

Cons:

service

Reviewed by sschroeder Review Date: 01/19/2015

My girlfriend and I had dinner at Trattoria al Forno on Saturday January 17, 2015. We were able to secure reservations for 7:15 pm two weeks prior to our visit. We arrive early and waited until our designated time and were promptly seated. We observed a few walk-in parties being told that there we no more reservations for the rest of the evening. The décor is wonderful, atmosphere crowded, busy, and moderately loud. Kids all over the place. Service was very good, considering the restaurant was packed, we only had to remind our waitress a few times for water, the bill, etc. We tried the Caprese Salad, Romaine Lettuce, and the Smoked Prosciutto, Potato, Rosemary and Mozzarella pizza. Excellent quality and freshness. To our surprise the potato on the pizza really worked! Almost like a pizza with potato chips on it. Extensive wine collection, great cocktail and beer selection. Hey, you can’t have pizza without a beer! Overall our impression was positive and we look forward to returning.

Pros:

fresh, quality Itailian food

Cons:

crowded restaurant

Reviewed by mickeyflex Review Date: 12/21/2014

We ate here tonight. It was good, but I'm sure will improve. The bread and olive oil were super. My wife ordered the lamb shank, which was spectacular and the polenta made a perfect pairing. I had the Braised Beef "Bolognese." I was disappointed in this as it was on the dry side and the sauce was more a barbeque sauce than a traditional red gravy I was expecting. The house made cavatelli was the highlight of the dish. Our kids both had the Campanelli Pasta Marinara with Turkey Meatballs and it was superb. The pasta was perfectly al dente and tasty, the meatball juicy and flavorful, and the gravy had a deep tomato taste with perfect seasoning. For desert, my daughter had the vanilla gelato while my son had the strawberry basil. Both were exceptional, but my son's choice was incredibly tasty, with the basil adding just the right amount of peppery herbaceousness to counter the sweetness of the strawberries. My wife had the Bomboloni, which my kids both said were okay donuts. I had the tiramisu, which was the best I've ever had.

Pros:

kids' spaghetti

Cons:

beef Bolognese

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 12/31/2018

Great atmosphere, friendly servers, over priced! We were very disappointed with the portion size. The bolognese was more like an appetizer than an entree. People next to us ordered spaghetti amp meatballs for their daughter which was double the size of my bolognese! 3-4 mouthfuls, and it was gone! We both left hungry! Such a ripoff!

Pros:

Atmosphere

Cons:

Over priced, tiny portions

Reviewed by JenC Review Date: 05/03/2018

My family and I ate here the week of April 24, 2018. We have eaten at this restaurant many times dating back to when it was Spoodles and then Kouzzina. The first year of Trattoria we had a much more positive experience, partly due to the fact that the menu listed a vegetarian option. With no more vegetarian options, my daughter and I had pizza, which was good. However, the waiter was clearly nervous and/or inexperienced. We got the wrong drink order and when he fixed it, he returned with glasses only half-full. He even gave my father only a half-full cup of coffee. Then he got the check wrong, too! The portions were small for the price paid, and when you tack on the not-so-great service, we likely won't be returning. It's a shame, because it's such a convenient spot for those staying at the Boardwalk. (For better tiramisu and zeppole, try Via Napoli in Epcot)

Pros:

good location

Cons:

expensive food, negative experience with waitstaff

Reviewed by DePasquale Review Date: 07/10/2016

Disappointing and not a memorable dining experience. The interior is comfortable Metro Italian. The food not up to Disney standards. The Margherita Pizza was a bit soggy and the Polpetta Gigante dry. Our server lacked the subtle knowledge of Italian cuisine.

Pros:

Interior space

Cons:

Food misses mark

Reviewed by sraso Review Date: 05/18/2016

We ate here for my nephews birthday. We told the hostess that we wanted to celebrate this special occasion and she stated that it was a wonderful place for a celebration. He had just turned 21 and there were seven of us in the dining party. We were seated exactly at our reservation time. Our bread and water came quickly. The waitress had several suggestions for us that she said were her favorites..she took our orders quickly and the appetizers came almost instantly! Then before we had finished those, the entrees came out. The serving staff moved our appetizer plates away to make room for our entrees. Before we knew it, we were being asked for our dessert choices. A party of seven and we were in and out in just over an hour..no mention of a birthday celebration! I was very disappointed. The automatic 18% tip was added to the bill and I don't think it was deserved. I felt very rushed and did not get to enjoy my meal at all. My husband was even more disappointed. We eat out a lot at Disney and have never experienced this kind of service at any restaurant let alone a fairly expensive one! Never again!

Pros:

atmosphere

Cons:

service

Reviewed by Fitzboyzmom Review Date: 08/10/2015

The service here was excellent as was the bread and appetizer (antipasto). The food however left much to be desired. My husband and son had the giant meatball dinner. It was probably made of 75% parsley. It was very strange. I had one of the pasta dishes that was just very forgettable. It had little taste and was dry. I can't recommend coming here since we don't plan on returning.

Pros:

Service