Reviews of Port Orleans French Quarter (Moderate Resort)

A Disney Moderate Resort

For full details, Fact Sheet, Photos and Videos visit: http://allears.net/acc/faq_po.htm

Reviewed by carsmom Review Date: 12/07/2016

My family stayed at POFQ at the end of November. I have stayed at value, moderates and deluxe levels. This was the first time at French Quarter and my last. The rooms are in sad need of repair. Furniture is old and worn. Rooms are outdated. We arrived the evening of the re-opening of the food court. What a disappointment. It is small with very limited choices. I kept wishing we were at Pop Century over this place. The Front Desk staff was not helpful and disinterested. The boat to Disney Springs was great but the boat captain was rude and hateful. We had to wait over 45 minutes for a bus to Epcot one morning. The line stretched all the way to the main building. The trip itself was great but the resort was not. Will not be returning.

Pros:

quiet, clean

Cons:

rooms, food court, bus service

Reviewed by fluffy30 Review Date: 03/29/2016

Was looking forward to our three night stay here (Mar 19-22) following a week at Saratoga Springs but was sadly disappointed. We stayed in building 7 which was the furthest from the lobby, pool, food court and bus stop, but it was still only a 5-7 min. walk to the main areas.
Liked the small size and the room was fine although the bathroom is very compact. Parking was close to each of the buildings. That's about it for pros to this resort. The food was terrible both at breakfast and the one dinner we had. Service was so slow and ordering chaotic. Had to go to different windows to order food then get a pager from each one and pay at the cashier. Our sandwiches got cold while waiting 10 min. for our kids burgers. The drink refill area was dirty and the straw dispenser just filthy. The pool area was very crowded and the kids found the slide too small. They did enjoy the water play area. I thought the children's activity leaders to be a bit snippy with the kids and the greeter at the door to the lobby was rude. He actually scolded my six year old for asking for a plastic coin. He seemed much more interested in engaging with the adult guests. This was the 15th Disney resort we have stayed at (I'm trying to get to them all) and my least favourite so far. We did go over to Riverside and enjoyed pizza for lunch one day and checked out the pool. We may try there next time. I think French Quarter may be better suited to couples and adults but for families it really misses the mark.

Pros:

Small resort. parking

Cons:

Food court, staff

Reviewed by Cheyru Review Date: 12/14/2015

A Motel 6 range hotel. The hotel is old and it shows. The walls were dirty and needed cleaning with soap and white vinegar. TV remote did not work, they dropped off batteries the first night, did not work, second night dropped off remote but did not come it to try to see if it worked. Finally gave up and went to bed. Last morning figured out you have to point remote at right corner to get it to work. Over all musty old smell. Elevators only one per building, had to walk to back and then front again if room was on the other end. Old also. Nothing special about the room for the price you pay. They lost my scooter and I had to wait until it just appeared in front as if by magic. With other problems in the park, regarding scooter use and other issues will never visit Disney again unless someone else pays for everything and that might make up for the money ill spent.

Pros:

Pool, VIP service for unscented bedding.

Cons:

Room Dirty, broken TV, customer service attitude. elevators

Reviewed by mulanmom Review Date: 04/25/2019

This was our family HOME resort for more than 10 yrs for all the reasons listed in the article and more including the food court itself, seeing the same cast members every year especially Arneil, the names of the streets, the fountains, the cobblestones, the boats, the gift shop. Unfortunately, unless things have changed, POFQ either did not participate in many of the Disney discounts and even if they did, the percentage off was always the lowest offer. We were told that this was due to the fact that the resort is small, always full, and so did not need to offer discounts. When the food court was in the process of refurbishment about 3 or 4 years ago, the temporary replacement area was poorly designed adding to our growing disappointment. That same year we were further disappointed by the removal of alarm clocks in the rooms and being placed in a handicapped room which did not suit our family needs at all. Our fault for not requesting a different room. The food court was so festive and pleasant. I have seen pictures of the refurb and again I am disappointed to see that most of the Mardi Gras props are gone. Again we were told that the masks were "too scary" for some children. Another disappointment was that we were unaware for 2 or 3 years that the room rates had become based on a tiered system. We had always requested a particular building and a standard room. A reservation agent finally told us that the buildings we always loved were no longer considered standard. Two years ago we decided to try a value resort to take advantage of special offers. I knew I would be unhappy but I was very pleasantly surprised. The service level is different, the resort is much larger and the room is smaller but we have made out just fine. I hope to stay at POFQ again but not in the near future for all the reasons stated.

Pros:

Theming, cast members, architecture, food court, small size, pool, one bus stop

Cons:

Does not participate fully in all discounts, becoming more generic like so much at WDW

Reviewed by GrandMum Review Date: 04/24/2019

This is my absolute favorite resort and that was confirmed after my trip earlier this month. I got to meet Shelly the delightful bartender after seeing many of her posts on Facebook. Then I saw Tim who actually remembered me from my trip last year. All the CMs are extremely friendly and they all smile and greet you all the time.

Pros:

Love the small size and the boat to Disney Springs.

Cons:

Only con is that it's difficult to get a reservation.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 04/24/2019

Friendlier service than the deluxe resorts

Pros:

Value and location

Reviewed by Dreamer Review Date: 04/24/2019

We have stayed at POR multiple times, but our recent trip was our first stay at POFQ. We loved it!! We may not go back to POR now. The resort is small and walkable. Everything was so convenient. My son loved the food court and the Mickey beignets. The rooms had been recently renovated which was wonderful. No carpet--I love this. A fabulous stay.

Pros:

Small size Good food court

Cons:

No table service restaurant

Reviewed by Maryann Review Date: 04/24/2019

I’ve been traveling to Disney regularly (1-4 times a year) for the past 11 years. We’ve always stayed at a deluxe or DVC property, buying into DVC 6 years ago. I’m an AP holder and wanted to get a quick trip in at the last minute a few years back. I decided to use my passholder discount and book POFQ for a weekend trip. I absolutely loved it and found it to be every bit as wonderful as the deluxe resorts. The compact size of the resort, the recreation and dining options and its location ( boat ride to DS ) makes it a great place to stay, even if your not visiting the theme parks.

Pros:

It’s size; everything in walking distance, the food; many choices (including the proximity to POR), the atmosphere ( Mardi Gras).

Cons:

My only complaint ( not even an issue really) is the outside entrance to your room. I do prefer a balcony (for relaxing on) but it’s not a dealbreaker considering all the other pluses of the resort.

Reviewed by Gigi459 Review Date: 04/22/2019

HOTEL ROOMS: Clean and well kept, not much Disney theming, but get that in the parks .Rooms recently refurbished. Beds very comfortable, on the soft side. Pillow top mattress. Toiletries (shampoo, cream rinse and shower gel) now mounted in large bottles on the wall of the shower. Small Body lotion and facial soap near sink area.Two sinks outside of tub area. Curtain between sleeping area and bathroom. You can get ready while others still sleeping. Small fridge provided, but not very cold. No freezer. Coffee maker provided. No alarm clock. Can call for wake-up if needed. Beds are now open underneath them, great for storing luggage.

GROUNDS: Beautiful and well maintained. Smaller resort (one of the best features).
Short walking distance to pool, transportation and restaurant. Great pool and playground for small children. New Orleans theming. Bar near pool area. Hot tub steps away from pool in a more secluded spot.

TRANSPORTATION: Bus service greatly improved from our last visit a few years ago. We did not share a bus with Riverside. Never waited more than 10 min for a bus. Downtown Disney only a 15 min boat ride, very enjoyable. Prefer over a bus anytime.
We did occassionally use Lyft on the way home from parks, when we were tired and didn't want to wait for a crowded bus. Approx. $10-12 depending on the park.

FOOD: Quick service restaurant on site, food with New Orleans theming, Some on the spicy side. But can find plenty of things without spice. Pretty much on par with all hotel quick services. Only sit-down restaurant is at Riverside, a beautiful 12 min walk along the river to Riverside. We used the Garden Grocer to have water and snacks delivered right to our resort. Works like a charm, you get notified of delivery and then just have to have bell services deliver it to your room. You do have to be present in room to receive your order.

STAFF: Very friendly and helpful.

I have stayed in many Disney Hotels over the years. Deluxes are my favorites. But not always affordable. This is a perfect compromise. Great hotel at a lower cost.
Would highly reccommend!
Date of stay: October 2018
Room tip: Buildings 2 & 5 closest to pool

Pros:

Smaller resort, boat ride to Disney Springs, beautiful walk to Riverside. Best hotel if not doing a deluxe

Cons:

I didn't experience this when we stayed last October, but during really crowded times might have to share buses with Riverside. Not a deluxe resort.

Reviewed by Teresab715 Review Date: 04/20/2019

My favorite resort! We have stay at many different hotels and resorts both on Disney property and off-site, but we always end up comparing it to here.

Pros:

Small size, homey feel, nice pool.

Cons:

No table service restaurant, food court is good, but not great.