Reviews of Port Orleans French Quarter (Moderate Resort)

A Disney Moderate Resort

For full details, Fact Sheet, Photos and Videos visit: http://allears.net/acc/faq_po.htm

Reviewer: Feller Review Date: 06/13/2016

I would like to send a thank your to CM Edith at FQ on 6/13/16 for all her help in planning my family gathering. We haven't even left and the CM Edith has made our get away magical.
Thanks again EDITH.

Pros:

CM Edith

Cons:

—

Reviewer: bellebookworm9 Review Date: 01/20/2015

I had previously stayed at POFQ for one night in May 2012, so my experience was pretty limited. Both my mom and I had come to walk around the resort during other trips, and she really, really wanted to stay here. After many changes to our dates, room types, and discount codes, I was able to snag exactly what we wanted: a garden view room for 5 nights, 12/14-12/19/14. I had done online check-in and faxed in some general location requests.

We arrived by car just before 3pm on the 14th, so our room was ready. The check in process took very little time and we were in our room, #4106, by 3:10. We had gotten a first floor room, as requested, but not the location I wanted. As it turned out, that was fine. This room was 1 minute and 20 seconds from the food court, next to the parking lot, overlooked a nice courtyard (smoking) area, and if we stood outside and looked directly west, we saw the higher bursts from IllumiNations!

The room was plenty big enough for the two of us and pretty clean overall, but we did have some complaints. There just were not enough outlets, and the ones that did exist were inconvenient. We had an ECV for my mom and it would have fit perfectly between the bed and the front wall, but there was no outlet. Instead, we parked it near the bathroom and stretched the cord across the vanity entrance. To do this though, we had to move the bench under the coatrack.

Additionally, we wanted to decorate our window for the holiday season but the glass was just so dirty that nothing would stick! We eventually were able to make do by wiping it down with some napkins, and using a lot of medical tape in addition to our command strips and gel clings.

Our last minor complaint: Our Magicbands worked for everything EXCEPT letting us into the resort when we returned from the parks. We always had to stop at the guard station and show them our parking pass or have them scan one of the bands. The sensor at the gate just would not work.

We spent a lot of time in the room because I was very, very ill during the trip. As such, not a lot of time was spent exploring the resort. On our last day I was feeling better, so we rested by the hot tub in the morning. It was very quiet and empty. We also went for a walk around the grounds. Mom said she didn't like it there as much as she hoped, and she liked the theme and feel of the front building more than that of the resort as a whole.

The cast members were always friendly, even when they had difficulties with their computer systems. The lobby concierge desk was able to print my Hoop dee Doo tickets, and I stopped by the front desk several times to pay off my room charges with gift cards. My mom was able to get AAA batteries in the gift shop when her insulin pump unexpectedly went dead, but she was very letdown by the store as a whole. Other resorts have better ones.

We did use the food court nearly every day and had no problems. I saved the Mardi Gras beads we were given on our first day, that was a nice little touch. Had every intention of going to Riverside to see Yee Ha Bob but my illness took precedent and a trip to CentraCare was necessary instead.

Did not use the pool or any resort transportation. There were always handicapped parking spots available no matter how late at night we returned, which was great. POFQ is just a quick drive to all of the parks, except possibly Animal Kingdom, which we didn't visit this time.

I would stay here again but would like to give Riverside a first try before that happens.

Pros:

Nice theme, friendly cast members, compact resort, close to almost everything

Cons:

Requests not met, not enough outlets, dirty windows, Magicband problem

Reviewer: TLynch Review Date: 09/26/2018

My favorite resort.

Pros:

Smaller, rooms closer to bus transportation, great staff, boat available to Disney Springs.

Reviewer: Cheyru Review Date: 12/14/2015

A Motel 6 range hotel. The hotel is old and it shows. The walls were dirty and needed cleaning with soap and white vinegar. TV remote did not work, they dropped off batteries the first night, did not work, second night dropped off remote but did not come it to try to see if it worked. Finally gave up and went to bed. Last morning figured out you have to point remote at right corner to get it to work. Over all musty old smell. Elevators only one per building, had to walk to back and then front again if room was on the other end. Old also. Nothing special about the room for the price you pay. They lost my scooter and I had to wait until it just appeared in front as if by magic. With other problems in the park, regarding scooter use and other issues will never visit Disney again unless someone else pays for everything and that might make up for the money ill spent.

Pros:

Pool, VIP service for unscented bedding.

Cons:

Room Dirty, broken TV, customer service attitude. elevators

Reviewer: jersue96 Review Date: 11/03/2016

We stayed here September 4-7. We were scheduled to remain at this resort until the 10th but we asked to be moved due to the bus stop situation and mousekeeping was severely lacking. By our 4th day the room had never been swept, and food was picked up such as cheerios and crackers after mousekeeping was here to collect a tip. We did get towels but very little shampoos. I did request a few bottles due to the fact that the 4 of us would be back to shower. I left a nice tip to let them know I appreciated their efforts and in return had to call down several times for soaps and towels once and to let them know the room had never been swept. We asked to be moved and we were moved and were able to enjoy the rest of our trip. I would love to be able to give this resort another chance but they really need to get some of these issues that have been posted time after time under control. I have no problem paying good money to stay but I expect good service not lacking service.

Pros:

Beautiful grounds and rooms

Cons:

Bus situation and mousekeeping

Reviewer: fluffy30 Review Date: 03/29/2016

Was looking forward to our three night stay here (Mar 19-22) following a week at Saratoga Springs but was sadly disappointed. We stayed in building 7 which was the furthest from the lobby, pool, food court and bus stop, but it was still only a 5-7 min. walk to the main areas.
Liked the small size and the room was fine although the bathroom is very compact. Parking was close to each of the buildings. That's about it for pros to this resort. The food was terrible both at breakfast and the one dinner we had. Service was so slow and ordering chaotic. Had to go to different windows to order food then get a pager from each one and pay at the cashier. Our sandwiches got cold while waiting 10 min. for our kids burgers. The drink refill area was dirty and the straw dispenser just filthy. The pool area was very crowded and the kids found the slide too small. They did enjoy the water play area. I thought the children's activity leaders to be a bit snippy with the kids and the greeter at the door to the lobby was rude. He actually scolded my six year old for asking for a plastic coin. He seemed much more interested in engaging with the adult guests. This was the 15th Disney resort we have stayed at (I'm trying to get to them all) and my least favourite so far. We did go over to Riverside and enjoyed pizza for lunch one day and checked out the pool. We may try there next time. I think French Quarter may be better suited to couples and adults but for families it really misses the mark.

Pros:

Small resort. parking

Cons:

Food court, staff

Reviewer: carsmom Review Date: 12/07/2016

My family stayed at POFQ at the end of November. I have stayed at value, moderates and deluxe levels. This was the first time at French Quarter and my last. The rooms are in sad need of repair. Furniture is old and worn. Rooms are outdated. We arrived the evening of the re-opening of the food court. What a disappointment. It is small with very limited choices. I kept wishing we were at Pop Century over this place. The Front Desk staff was not helpful and disinterested. The boat to Disney Springs was great but the boat captain was rude and hateful. We had to wait over 45 minutes for a bus to Epcot one morning. The line stretched all the way to the main building. The trip itself was great but the resort was not. Will not be returning.

Pros:

quiet, clean

Cons:

rooms, food court, bus service

Reviewer: swtmelisa15 Review Date: 04/12/2016

This was our first stay at French Quarter, the grounds were beautiful, check in was fast and easy, and the kids loved the pool and slide. My only complain would be the food court, it was small and dirty and more than once the staff were rude and even after complaining in front of the manager no one apologized or seemed to care. I was very disappointed!

Pros:

Beautiful grounds and Friendly staff

Cons:

Food Court and Food court Employees

Reviewer: HOBBES Review Date: 11/23/2017

Before I start, let me say POFQ is far and away our favourite resort. This is our 3rd stay and we wouldn't stay anywhere else now BUT...
Our room absolutley stank of sweaty feet-and not ours! It was noticeable from the moment we opened the door on arrival and was still noticeable 2 weeks later when we left. I understand the planned refurb is doing away with carpets and this must be the reason why!
The beds both sagged-one had a definite slant to the left and one to the right! It rteally felt like the springs had gone.
Bus service was erratic. Why on earth POFQ has to share AK buses at all times of the day with POR is anyone's guess. One day we left our room at 5pm for a fastpass at AK which expired at 6.10. No bus arrived until 5.30 and it then took nearly 20 minutes to go round POR, so we did not even arrive at AK until 6.05. Needless to say we missed our Fastpass (didn't help that the CMs had roped off the pathway to EE for ROL standby!) Even at park closing the AK bus was picking up for both resorts, so you had a packed bus, only half of whom were getting off at FQ, trying to climb over people standing on the bus-very poor. (AK was the only park that ever seemd to share a bus but it was ALL the time!)
We were offered cash if we turned down Mousekeeping but I like having someone else make my bed for me so we refused-plus it keeps jobs open for them. Mousekeeping did a good job and common areas of the resort-food court, pool, etc was alway clean.
I feel guilty moaning about POFQ but the rooms are looking tired currently

Pros:

Small

Cons:

Food court, buses

Reviewer: mawdryn Review Date: 06/23/2015

My family of 4 stayed here for 5 nights, June 7th to 12th. It was me, my husband, and twin daughters, age 15.

On line check in worked perfectly. We got a text at 1030 saying our room was ready. We were coming from a night at POR (royal room, river view), so the timing was perfect. We had a garden view on the first floor of building 4. I requested a top floor, but it turned out to be fine. It had a beautiful view and it was nice and quiet. We were close to the food court, pool, and bus stop. Mousekeeping did a nice job and we were left towel animals twice.

Buses were horrible. We waited 40 minutes for a bus to DTD one night, and another 40 minute wait going back to the resort. We took our car to Animal Kingdom and Epcot, because the waits were awful yet again. Buses to and from Magic Kingdom were ok. Buses have always been spot on at prior visits, so I don't understand why the waits were so long...

We ate ate the food court twice for dinner. We enjoyed the potato bar, pizzas and chicken nuggets. We also picked up a few snacks. The refillable mug station was very disappointing. It was dirty all the time.
We swam quite a bit. There was a "code d" called one afternoon and the pool had to be cleared. Apparently, someone didn't put a swim diaper on their child.

It pains me to give a rating of 7. This has always been my absolute favorite resort. This was my 4th stay, and I found the rooms in dire need of updating. They just seemed very blah this time. The food court was dirty, and the snack selection seemed lacking at times.

Pros:

On Line Check In and Grounds

Cons:

Rooms, Food Court and Buses