Reviews of Old Key West Resort (Disney Vacation Club)

A Disney Vacation Club Property located in the Disney Springs resort area.

For full details, Fact Sheet, Photos and Videos visit: http://allears.net/acc/faq_okw.htm

Reviewer: Anonymous Review Date: 09/26/2018

guess I am partial..my home resort and our favorite DVC property to stay at..love the size of the studios with 2 beds!!

Pros:

2 beds and quiet resort

Cons:

buses slow

Reviewer: allec999 Review Date: 03/11/2018

First time staying at OKW. It was a short stay, only a couple nights. As other reviews have stated, the room was huge. We were in a 1-bedroom, and it was surprising how big it was. The furniture was showing a bit of wear, but nothing that mattered. It's a scenic resort, but a bit too spread out for my tastes, and other than its proximity to Disney Springs, not a great location. Check in was fine, staff were really great (more on that below). Road construction really slowed down traffic throughout the resort, which was a pain.

I left a baseball hat at the pool, which ordinarily wouldn't be too big of a deal, but my mother-in-law had this hat made for me, and we were heading off to visit said mother-in-law directly after we checked out. So when I asked at the main desk, and the woman came walking out from the back room with my hat, I reacted like a kid at Disney World.

Overall, a nice resort, perfect for a short stay like ours.

Pros:

Room size

Cons:

Construction

Reviewer: slapps Review Date: 11/02/2017

We once again stayed at our home resort from 10/21-10/26/2017. As always we had a great experience. Our room was ready when we arrived at about 12:30 pm. We had requested a room in Building 62, which is where we stayed. We were on the 3rd floor in a studio which was fine. There is an elevator in this building. We had a very slight problem with check in, I asked to make sure we did not receive early check out. When I checked again several days later Peggy at the front desk had not made sure this was taken care of. Our room was clean and in pretty good shape. I think Disney is in the process of up-grading the villas one at a time. I saw several crews working on closed off buildings. The managers, especially Paul and Rodney were extremely helpful. Another very good experience.

Pros:

Great area, staff and amenities.

Reviewer: maddox4 Review Date: 04/19/2017

Beautiful resort! Stayed the last week of March 2017 and some renovations were going on but they tend to do one building unit at a time so it doesn't really impact the others. Used one of the smaller pools as we were two adults no kids and it was very peaceful and clean. Our room was in building 36 which had not been renovated yet but other than the furniture being a little worn it was lovely and immaculately clean. Our studio was on the lower level on an end...our view wasn't great...air conditioner units...but we weren't the only ones. I'm sure the upper units are prettier scenery but due to my husbands stroke, we needed ground level. Would definitely stay here again.

Pros:

Beautiful grounds

Cons:

views from some rooms

Reviewer: mommom Review Date: 03/05/2017

this is my family's home away from home. Party of 11 and they just love this resort. Had a studio and a 2 bedroom. Studio was ready when we checked in but the 2 bedroom wasn't ready until after 4:00. Mousekeeping did a great job of trying to get the 2 bedroom ready for us and went out of their way to please us. The resort did a good job of getting the studio and villa close to one another.

The outside of the resort was a little dirty, but they cleaned the outside during our stay.

We stayed at other resorts, but this one gives us so much room. my one grandson said "Boy, its great to be home".
It also nice to be able to park your car outside your villa, which makes it easier to unload the car.

The kids were looking forward to renting the small boats at the resort, but there gone now.

My grandkids having been coming to Old Key West since they were babies. I am really surprise how much they love this resort. Some are married now and the others are in their teens and they still request this resort every time we come down. members since 1995

Pros:

everything - home resort

Cons:

boats that you rent are gone

Reviewer: gwiz3359 Review Date: 01/24/2017

Being a DVC member since 2004, this was our first time staying at OKW and the first time going this time of year, November 9-13. Warm days, some cool nights but no humidity!! I loved it all. It was just my husband and I in a 1 bedroom. I could not believe how spacious the living/kitchen area was (nice having 2 couches to lounge out on after a long day). the outdoor area had a full size round table with 4 chairs - very nice for early morning coffee overlooking water & golf course.
There was an entry hall, as well as a hall to the bedroom/bathroom & full size washer/dryer room.
Close walk to the bus stop too - which ran frequently.
The only negative was as per my husband, who liked to walk early in the morning down to a lobby to grab a cup of coffee. From our location you would have to take the inside bus to the Hospitality Center and that was the negative. Not a deal breaker for me. We are going back in April for a week!!

Pros:

Spacious accomodations

Reviewer: bethocindigo Review Date: 10/20/2016

For our family who could be happy sleeping in a packing-crate for the opportunity to enjoy a Disney vacation resort stay, Old Key West was NOT worth the extra $200 dollars a night over Port Orleans Riverside.

Our trip was a spur-of-the-moment last minute thing 3 months before our arrival date and I was told that our favorite spirited Resort which we like to stay at- Port Orleans, was booked solid. I asked for somewhere else that would be MUCH quieter than the Value Resorts and was told that Old Key West would be great. The only hitch was that it was OVER $200 MORE a night. I didn't see much choice so I agreed and hoped it might be a new magical resort experience to enjoy.

Nope. The good features were the private deck at each room (but incredibly small), the tiny kitchenette with a larger-than-normal refrigerator, coffee-maker, mini-microwave, and tiny sink to do dishes in, and the really NEAT Sandcastle pool 2 story waterslide that our son thoroughly enjoyed.

Other than those, this place was B-O-R-I-N-G. No music, no fun, no liveliness, NO quick-service dining hall to sit in each morning for breakfast with a large menu section to choose from......just quiet, quiet, quiet. WAY too quiet and dull. It needs much more theming. The 'deluxe' studio is only slightly bigger than our Riverside room and I could BARELY get past the toilet and into the tub each night as it is a really tight squeeze.

We will NOT be staying here again cause it might as well have been a Nursing Home!

Pros:

Pool at each separate section with a hot tub at every one

Cons:

Toilet is TOO CLOSE to the tub in a Deluxe Studio Room

Reviewer: DaninNH Review Date: 07/28/2016

We have stayed at OKW many times, and generally love being there. We have usually been able to get rooms near the hospitality house. I think this most recent trip was the first time we ended up basically a bit far to walk back and forth to the main building from the room and at times, if raining, used the bus system.......It works, just takes time.

We typically spend our days in the parks, but we met up with relatives who wanted to spend a few days at the resort and not do much of anything but relax, due to an injury. So it was really our first experience at OKW going for counter service. We were underwhelmed. Sandwiches (in wraps) must have sat for a bit -bread soggy, other food items over cooked. Order not correct when picked up. And there are really no other options and it is a limited menu.

And if bad weather or it is super hot outside, you have to eat outside on a picnic table, if all are not occupied - unless you bring it back to your room, to the pool area, or invade the lobby sitting area.

We love the resort - but truly wish they would beef up the counter service. If they did that it would likely be in our top 3 resorts behind BLT and BCV.

Pros:

Quiet, Love view of Golf course from room, extra room size is nice

Cons:

Busing within the resort, Counter service option

Reviewer: DisneyFan from Ohio Review Date: 06/29/2016

We were a party of 9 (7 adults and two year old twins) and stayed for 7 nights in a Grand Villa that we paid for using rented points from a DVC member. We were in Room #5122 and it was great; I was able to park my mini-van just outside the door and the bus stop was at the end of the parking lot. The entrance to our villa was on the 2nd floor so having my vehicle just outside meant that my nephew was able to store the double stroller in the back of the van and didn't have to carry it up and down the stairs. There was also a smoking area at the bottom of the stairs which my sister appreciated. The villa itself was just amazing! The babies were happy staying in the pack-n-plays in the master bedroom with my nephew and his wife. The rest of us were in the two bedrooms upstairs. The kitchen was great - plenty of room to store all the (breakfast) food and snacks we brought with us. We didn't have too much time to enjoy the balcony, but did spend some time in the living room and dining room just hanging out and playing games once the twins were in bed. We took one day "off" from the parks and hung out at the pool swimming and sunning before going to Disney Springs for dinner. We're already planning on another trip in two or three years before the twins start school. If we are the same size group, I would definitely try to stay in a Grand Villa again - maybe stay long enough to have two days "off" so we can enjoy the resort more, lol.

Pros:

HUGE Villa

Cons:

counter service doesn't have inside seating

Reviewer: kfergus Review Date: 03/22/2016

We stayed over spring break in a two bedroom villa that we paid for using purchased member points. This was the third time I have stayed at OKW. My family absolutely loved this resort - the overall "vibe" is very peaceful. Checkin was seamless - we had to make sure they gave us first floor because my daughter uses a wheelchair but all requests were honored. Staff was very friendly and engaging, exactly what I would expect. We were in bldg 28 close to the Peninsular bus stop which is the first stop on the route. We took the bus to AK and HS and no problems at all. We had a car but could easily walk to the main buildings. Pool area was great, Conch Flats General Store staff was super friendly. Overall this resort is quiet and a great break from the parks. The room was huge for our party of 5, and it has a full laundry room instead of just a washer/dryer in a closet, so it was great for storing suitcases etc, as well as doing laundry. Beds were comfortable, and kitchen was well stocked. However, it wasn't all perfect. Because I work in the hotel industry I am super picky about cleanliness/maintenance and this room had some issues. It looked like nail polish had been spilled in the bathroom area and the dishes all needed to be rewashed. I did not mention it to hotel staff but in hindsight I wish I had - definitely outside the norm for my previous stays both at this resort and at Poly and BCV. Overall, I would recommend this resort for families and anyone looking for extra space.

Pros:

Size of rooms, peaceful atmoshpere

Cons:

some cleanliness/maintenance issues