Reviews of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (Magic Kingdom)

Each year Mickey hosts the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party in the Magic Kingdom. This is a hard ticket event -- meaning you need to purchase a separate ticket for entry (just like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). The Magic Kingdom is transformed into a fun spooky haven for trick-or-treaters of all ages.

Requires separate admission ticket.

Fact Sheet and Current Information/Blogs Photos/Videos: http://allears.net/tp/mk/mnssh.htm

Reviewed by Karen Schlaker Review Date: 09/26/2018

Went previous year

Pros:

Guests loved my husbands' costume and kept getting requests to take his photo, nice to do it once but not worth the money to do it a second time, loved the parade

Cons:

expensive, crowded, candy was just okay (again expensive ticket)

Reviewed by MM from Connecticut Review Date: 09/26/2018

Excellent event to attend at least once. It was very fun and festive, and everyone was in the Halloween spirit. Big tip: trick or treating is fun, but cast members hand out the candy, not villains, so not worth spending a lot of time getting candy. Excellent shows and little dance parties that are only seen at this party.

Pros:

Short lines for attractions -- we rode all our favorites with little or no wait, including Seven Dwarf's Mine Train.

Cons:

Very long lines for characters. And watch the weather -- the parade was canceled due to thunderstorms, so we never got to see it.

Reviewed by bellebookworm9 Review Date: 09/10/2018

We attended MNSSHP for the first time since 2011 on Labor Day 2018 (Monday, September 3rd). While I didn’t dress up as anything specific, I was fully decked out in Halloween shirt, leggings, socks, tutu, and Minnie Mouse Ears from 2015 (and got tons of compliments on all of it, especially the ears, which are no longer available).

We had a 5:20 ADR at Crystal Palace and arrived at the park around 5, and directed toward Market Street (behind Main Street) to pick up our candy bags and visit first candy stop. They had decorations and photo ops (small character statues in costume, MNSSHP “frames”) but as it was 5:09 and all lines had several people already, we skipped the extras.

By the time we finished dinner it was about 6:50 and anyone without party wristbands was being escorted out. We headed to Adventureland and lined up for Tarzan, Terk, and Jane. Although there were only a few groups ahead of me, they had more people come and join them so it took about 20 minutes to get to the front of the line - and there was no Photopass photographer.

After that, we didn’t meet any more characters because they all had longer lines. We rode Pirates (20 minute wait) and I wasn’t really impressed with the hyped-up Gunpowder Pete addition. Kind of lame, actually. Rode BTMRR with no wait. Haunted Mansion waited about 5 minutes - love the CM makeup during the parties!

Visited every candy stop from Adventureland clockwise through the park to Storybook Circus and then our bags were full. They were VERY generous with candy and lines moved quickly all night. Received a good variety of different kinds of chocolate, M&Ms, starbursts, skittles, etc.

We saw the fireworks from the hub at 10:15, watched the Hocus Pocus show at 10:45 from same spot (a little far but perfectly audible) and stayed in place (handicapped viewing) for 11:15 parade. Love the fireworks and parade!

It’d be easy to visit 2-3 parties just to try and get everything done. We saw Madame Rinatta outsize Mansion and she was so funny. Took a couple of Photopass photos with Hitchhiking ghosts. Need at least one party to meet characters and one to do all the other things! Our party was definitely not sold out and the temperature was nice. Disappointing that they’ve slowly phased out a lot of the Villain meets over the years. Now it’s just Cruella, Jafar, Lotso...Jack and Sally aren’t really villains.

Pros:

Short lines for rides, lots of candy, parade and fireworks were great

Cons:

Character lines are long; few villains to meet any more

Reviewed by MM from Connecticut Review Date: 10/02/2014

The party officially begins at 7 pm, which means the regular day crowd is still there, plus the Halloween party guests who arrive anytime after 4 pm, so there are A LOT of people in the MK until about 8 pm (closes at 11 pm). I did not see many special "villains" except 1 in line for photos. Main Street is festive and lit up with glowing lights in the windows that fade in/out, and Halloween music is playing throughout the park. The fireworks were special and festive, but I'm pretty sure the pre-fireworks show was the same ol' Celebrations. There are 2 parades offered, but the later parade was canceled due to impending rain, so we missed it. Also, I wish we would have received a whole packet of Halloween Sorcerer Cards, but only 1 was given out. Trick or Treating was fun and plentiful, but it would be more fun if the CMs were dressed up, or better yet, the villains should hand out candy! Worth checking out at least once, but maybe that's it ...

Pros:

Festive! Everyone was dressed up!

Cons:

Needs more "special effects" and villains need to be more visible/mingle

Reviewed by ADAMCZAK Review Date: 09/16/2014

We attended the event on the first night - September 1st, 2014. Great evening - no rain and short lineups but it was hot. We were able to get unto the rides under less than 5 minutes - even Peter Pan. The longest wait was for Mine Train which was 20 minutes. The cost of the admission to this event was well worth it. We did see a number of Villains. We didn't attend Villain's Sinister Soiree as we felt the price was too steep. Parade did seem a bit short, but its been few years since we last attended this event. We did notice that the candy was scarce this time around even when we left the park at the end of the night. Last time they stuffed our bags. This time I believe we each received couple of lolly pops.

Pros:

short lines, beautiful decorations, fireworks

Reviewed by nurseholly Review Date: 10/02/2013

I would say this is a home run if the tickets weren't so so so expensive! We came home with so much candy it was ridiculous! My kids weren't interested in characters, so I have no idea how that aspect is, but we did go to one of the dance parties and it was really neat. I really loved the
Boo to You parade and Hallowishes. They were definitely unique and worthwhile. There were absolutely no lines for rides, which was great. All in all, if you've never done it I think it is great, but I wouldn't say that I would do it twice.

Pros:

TONS of candy, no lines at rides

Cons:

very expensive

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 12/18/2018

Way too many tickets sold for the night of October 31, 2018. Cast members were not as efficient with crowd control for the first parade. Ride and candy lines were long with 30 minutes plus wait for most rides. Enjoyed the interaction with the Haunted Mansion "ghosts".

Pros:

Park was decorated for Halloween Good candy

Cons:

Too many people for this day of the event!!!!!

Reviewed by Nat Review Date: 09/30/2018

We enjoyed MNSSHP. We all got to dress up and collect candy and meet the seven dwarves! Great night!

Pros:

Candy!

Cons:

Lots of people

Reviewed by manatee2420 Review Date: 10/07/2016

My husband, parents, and I attended on September 18th. We made a special trip from Georgia to celebrate. I have long wanted to go to MNSSHP and, being my 30th birthday that day, the timing finally seemed right. To say I had high hopes would be an understatement. I mean, to finally go to my favorite place on earth in the fall and on my birthday no less!

The party seemed much more crowded than I expected. As a teacher bound by school schedules, my husband and I usually go to Disney during the peak summer dates everyone bemoans online as terrible times to go. The September parties were touted online as so much less crowded and more pleasant. I honestly thought the crowds were equal to the most crowded summertime dates. Lines for everything were long. I hated how there were no wait times posted for characters. We waited over an hour to see the Seven Dwarfs. That was to be expected. But, we also waited over an hour to see Minnie/Donald/Daisy when the line appeared to be half as long as the Seven Dwarf line. If we had known it was to be that long, we would've gone and done something else. The line for the MNSSHP pin was at least a half an hour. We didn't stand in it. No pin was worth that after just spending over 2 hours waiting for characters! Best decision we made all night. There were even lines to get your picture taken by the Photopass photographers, which I never saw before!

Following some advice I read online, we intended to watch the later shows as they were "less crowded." Unfortunately, the weather rolled in. They ended up canceling the castle show (before the storm even hit the area) and postponing Wishes indefinitely once the rain poured. We ran for Pirates of the Caribbean, rode it with no wait, and then huddled under the exit area since the trick or treat stations were closed (due to being outside) and we didn't want to be stuck in an inside character line if the rain stopped and Wishes got started. It seemed really dumb to me that Disney would plan a party during hurricane season with so much that gets closed down (trick or treating, shows, character greetings that were mostly outside) when the rain comes. At least put the trick or treating inside somewhere...

The silver lining is that a quarter of 12 the rain stopped. Disney did show Wishes followed immediately by the second Boo to You Parade without the Headless Horseman. The Hocus Pocus show was canceled. I would advise everyone if there is any hint of rain in the forecast (which there probably will be) to ignore any advice you might read online and see the first show of everything. It might be more crowded, but at least you'll get to see it!

So, the party didn't live up to my expectations and I feel hesitant recommending it. Why isn't maybe a choice? If you don't care about characters, the experience would probably be more pleasant since those lines were longest. Most of the rides had short lines, but if you're there to ride, then go during the daytime and skip the extra fee. Dressing up was fun, although it was hotter than expected and polyester doesn't breathe well at all even though my costume was sleeveless. I might consider trying this another year with a different touring plan to see if the experience is better. If it's the same or worse, I won't be attending MNSSHP anymore.

Pros:

Unique characters, great atmosphere, great shows

Cons:

Crowded, weather

Reviewed by TeacherGrandma Review Date: 09/20/2016

I attended the party on 9/16/16, a Friday night. It certainly was festive, and many costumes were almost professional looking. I had no idea people went all out on their costumes. There was a lengthy torrential downpour just as the party began, which lead to standing room only in the Emporium. I thought it was quite crowded (more crowded than 2 of the Christmas parties I attended last year). There were lines for candy, lines for photos, lines for party merchandise, and humungous lines for characters! Wait times for rides were pretty low. Hallowishes was amazing! The Celebrate the Magic was the same version shown every night. I was unable to see the show, which is supposed to be great, and saw most of the second parade on Main Street (could see easily; crowds low). The 5 hours of the party goes by in a flash. Some tough decisions need to be made.

Pros:

Stunning Hallowishes Fireworks

Cons:

Wicked Crowded
1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Other topics in SPECIAL EVENTS at WDW (including Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, Food and Wine, runDisney)