Reviews of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (Magic Kingdom)

Each year Mickey hosts the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party in the Magic Kingdom. This is a hard ticket event -- meaning you need to purchase a separate ticket for entry (just like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). The Magic Kingdom is transformed into a fun spooky haven for trick-or-treaters of all ages.

Requires separate admission ticket.

Fact Sheet and Current Information/Blogs Photos/Videos: http://allears.net/tp/mk/mnssh.htm

Reviewed by pwood78 Review Date: 10/03/2016

I have attended the MNSSHP party several times in the past. We attended this year on Sunday Sept 25, 2016. It didn't seem really crowded, but the lines were insane to meet characters and to trick or treat.

I felt like we had to stick to one theme and couldn't do everything.

We got in the park at 4pm and rode some rides and had a quick service dinner, at 7pm we attempted to trick or treat. We waited 10 minutes in 1 line to get 2 pieces of candy so we gave up on trick or treating, it was a waste of time.

We walked past every character meet and greet, the lines were ridiculously long, which I knew beforehand that the lines start really early and take a long time, so I didn't plan on meeting characters anyway.

so we stuck with watching the parade, shows and dance parties. Unfortunately, everyone but me was pooped out by 10pm, so I missed the fireworks. With 2 more hours we may have been able to do a little shopping, watch fireworks and maybe jump on a quick ride or 2.

I wouldn't recommend going to the party anymore. It isn't the same as in the past.

The Toy Story dance party is gone. And the villains used to come off the stage after the show and do meet and greets, I met 5 villains back to back in 15 minutes last time I went in 2011. They don't do meet and greets after the stage show anymore, and there aren't many villains out at all doing meets.

Pros:

Parades/Shows

Cons:

Lines

Reviewed by Tanasigirl Review Date: 09/27/2016

We attended our first MNSSHP on Tuesday, September 13, 2016. It was a very low crowd from what I gather, so we had no trouble with lines at all.

We were allowed in the park at 3:45. They move you to the right and you go behind the shops of Main Street for a second to get your treat bag and your first handful of treats. We had a couple of fast passes and an early dinner reservation to keep us busy till the party started at 7.

The monsoon lasted from 5-7, but it didn't slow us down. They canceled the first parade and closed a few rides for lightening. Otherwise, we ran from one ride to the other until the rain finally stopped and the party could begin.

We were not interested in characters or candy stations, just the atmosphere, fireworks, and parade. It was fun to see how elaborate some are with their costumes. We did a little, but just to fit in.

The Happy HalloWishes were tremendous! Loved the Oggie Boogie part. The Headless Horseman and the ghost outside the Haunted Mansion were unable to join us due to the weather, so that was a bit sad. But we watched the Boo to You parade from Frontierland and that was the best thing we did. Much lower crowds and the zombie version of the Dapper Dans was very entertaining.

They list all these restaurants that are to be open, but they don't stay open very long. So, we ended up at Pecos Bill late at night, which is not a favorite.

All in all, a great night for us. We were there from 3:45 pm till about 1 am. If you can do those hours and can keep a chill attitude, it's a lot of fun. We sat up at the train depot from about 12:15 till 12:45 just watching the lighting on Main Street change color.

Oh and go early in the season and in the week like we did. Much more manageable crowds. Boo to you! Happy Halloween!

Pros:

Great parade and fireworks

Cons:

Monsoon

Reviewed by prncsmom Review Date: 09/25/2016

This was our first time attending the party and will likely be our last. We attended on Tuesday, September 20, 2016. We arrived early (we had park hopper passes for the week) and the park was already hopping - unbeknownst to us this was a night Disney offered discount admissions to cast members, so it added to the crowds. We got our bags and wrist bands and then the down pour happened. People were trying to take cover while they cleared out the park of non-party attendees. It was a bit chaotic to say the least. The trick or treat lines were long and going from station to station ate up a bulk of our time. We did a ride or two, but it was that or wait for character photos and not trick or treat. We did manage to see the second parade because we stopped to take a break and the cast member said now would be a good time to secure seats. It was a good, but not great parade. We did see some of the last of the night Hocus Pocus show - our son was tired and we decided to leave a bit early...as well as everyone else did staying at the resorts. Getting a bus back to the hotel was not easy and the drivers were impatient and frankly a bit rude to cram as many people on as they could - the other passengers who had never attended felt the party wasn't worth the price either. That was a theme we ran into for the remainder of the week - just not worth it. For the money - use it for park hoppers or add the water park or treat yourself to something nice to take home - the party was average and not worth it in our opinion.

Pros:

Lots of Candy

Cons:

Over crowded, tremendously long waits for photos, hard to see the parade, show and trick or treat

Reviewed by BarbD Review Date: 09/21/2016

It was so crowded and we couldn't enjoy the shows, people were placing their kids on their shoulders (which I can understand) but it made it so difficult to enjoy the show. Line for rides too long. Didn't even bother. Was like being there during the day. Parade crowds were 6 rows deep, couldn't really see. They were directing the crowds throughout the park which made it seem like the park was even smaller. I went years ago and it was an amazing experience, on and off the rides you could see the shows and parades. Sad to say but I think Disney is becoming way too crowded and no longer enjoyable.

Pros:

Lots of cute costumes

Cons:

Crowds

Reviewed by TeacherGrandma Review Date: 09/20/2016

I attended the party on 9/16/16, a Friday night. It certainly was festive, and many costumes were almost professional looking. I had no idea people went all out on their costumes. There was a lengthy torrential downpour just as the party began, which lead to standing room only in the Emporium. I thought it was quite crowded (more crowded than 2 of the Christmas parties I attended last year). There were lines for candy, lines for photos, lines for party merchandise, and humungous lines for characters! Wait times for rides were pretty low. Hallowishes was amazing! The Celebrate the Magic was the same version shown every night. I was unable to see the show, which is supposed to be great, and saw most of the second parade on Main Street (could see easily; crowds low). The 5 hours of the party goes by in a flash. Some tough decisions need to be made.

Pros:

Stunning Hallowishes Fireworks

Cons:

Wicked Crowded

Reviewed by Fredd Review Date: 05/18/2016

I attended last years 'Not so scary Party' in September, my 3rd party over the years.
I was amazed at the size of the crowds, much larger than on any previous visit to the Magic Kingdom going back to 1983.
The transition between the day & night crowds was very well handled but the volume of the crowd meant that there were long queues for everything, including the restrooms!
Not all attractions were open on the night we attended and the queue for the Seven Dwarf's Mine train was unbelievable.
The handouts at the 'Goofy Candy Company stands were very small in contrast with previous years but the queues very, very long and slow moving.
If you hadn't attended a 'Not so scary Party' before don't miss it but if you have been before consider saving your money for something else like a good meal at one of the better restaurants!

Pros:

Halloween costuming of guests & Park.

Cons:

Huge crowds & reduced trick or treat candies.

Reviewed by Fitzboyzmom Review Date: 11/18/2015

I was hesitant about going to the party because we had had a terrible experience at the Christmas party a few years ago. We really enjoyed this. They allow party goers with their bands to purchase event merchandise starting at 4PM. That was awesome for us because you ended up spending a lot of time in lines at 7 or after (they could not start selling until non party goers left).

The cast members were beyond helpful and pleasant all night. The candy lines were long, bit moved really fast.

The fireworks were beyond awesome. The only thing I thought was not that great was how long it took the parade to get going. The headless horseman came out, but then we waited and waited and waited for the rest of the parade to start. It was well beyond the published time.

We attended on October 29th and the event was sold out. It was crowded, but not unmanageable. I look forward to going again in the future.

Reviewed by MWS Review Date: 11/13/2015

After attending a couple of the MVMCP, I was very excited to attend the MNSSHP and score a poison apple mug. I know Disney can’t control the weather, but it rained all night and it definitely put a damper on the evening. Because of the rain there was no Headless Horseman, no Carlotta at the Haunted Mansion, no Hocus Pocus Villain show (after waiting 20 minutes for it to start) and no getting in line to see characters. According to a very nice cast member, the poison apple mugs were sold out weeks ago, so no mug either. However there were tons of people and large crowds in the stores and for both parades and the fireworks making it difficult to get around and see the parade. The candy lines were long, but moved quickly and most of the rides had short wait times. Next time I’ll skip the party and instead use the ticket money to buy the poison apple mug on eBay.

Pros:

Candy, short wait time for rides

Cons:

Over crowded

Reviewed by DisneyDana Review Date: 10/30/2015

This was my first Halloween party and unfortunately I wouldn't choose to do it again. We were at the party on Thursday night 10/22 and I'm not sure but I would guess it was sold out. We were there specifically to hit the short ride lines. No such luck at any point during the night. I was shocked that the crowd was so very light, maybe the lightest I've ever seen during the regular day hours around 5pm. I thought that was a good sign of things to come but boy was I wrong. It was packed and the lines for rides never thinned out. Peter Pan stayed at a good 40 minutes all night and we never got on the Mine Train because it ran anywhere between 30 to 60 minutes all night. We kept putting it off hoping that the later it got the shorter the lines, but it just seemed to get more and more crowded as the night went on. We did enjoy the fireworks and the parade but we waited for the second parade hoping for a good spot but that didn't work out either. I have been to the Christmas party 4 times and the first 2 felt like we had rented out the parks for ourselves, but as the years have gone on it seems that they are letting more and more people in and it defeats the whole idea of the party if you ask me. I prefer the Christmas party over Halloween but special fireworks and a parade are not worth it for me. The low crowds were what I always went for and if they do away with that, I might as well just go to the MK on a regular day. Disney has gotten so bad about making that dollar that they are starting to price me right out of my yearly vacations.

Pros:

atmosphere

Cons:

The huge crowd takes away from the event

Reviewed by Minniegal5 Review Date: 10/22/2015

A group of 9 of us went on Oct. 20th ranging in age from 30-71. We had no trouble getting a table for 9 at Harbour House to eat, no trouble getting 9 on a ride, no trouble finding 9 spaces to watch parade! Our longest wait for a ride was 20 minutes for Peter Pan which, as you know, is not long at all!! I notice some people complain about crowds--well, it is a theme park and especially after a parade or fireworks there will be crowds, but all-in-all not that bad. We had no small children so therefore no waiting in line to see a character which, from what I read, can be long. We had our picture taken at Haunted Mansion, the photographer clicked the wristbands and voila! Great photos! (also had photos taken at other places) but Haunted Mansion photos have ghosts hitching along :) The weather was wonderful which, of course, adds to the fun so I totally understand my friend who went on a day with downpours was not happy! But, I told her, there is always next year!! Go! Enjoy!

1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Other topics in SPECIAL EVENTS at WDW (including Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, Food and Wine, runDisney)