Reviews of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (Magic Kingdom)

Each year Mickey hosts the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party in the Magic Kingdom. This is a hard ticket event -- meaning you need to purchase a separate ticket for entry (just like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). The Magic Kingdom is transformed into a fun spooky haven for trick-or-treaters of all ages.

Requires separate admission ticket.

Fact Sheet and Current Information/Blogs Photos/Videos: http://allears.net/tp/mk/mnssh.htm

Reviewed by bethocindigo Review Date: 10/20/2016

We took our 11 year-old son to the party on a Sunday evening for his early birthday present. We found it to be great! I will say that security is extremely tight and they strictly enforce party rules and guidelines. Our son had his orange 'Star Tours' gun taken from him and we had to leave it with guest services for the night. They also told him he could not wear his face mask and we had to leave it in a locker early in the day, however, around 5pm when costumed people were flooding into the park we saw another child wearing the same mask so I marched right back to the locker room and got it for my son to enjoy.

We brought our costumes early in the day, was able to swipe our magic band and charge the locker fee to the room, and leave our costumes in there until around dark. Later we came back and changed into them effortlessly.

The 'Boo-to-You' Parade is excellent, the fireworks display was LARGER than any I'd ever seen before and the Hocus Pocus show sounded lots of fun. We weren't close to it but I'll bet it was great.

A unique thing about this party if you don't go on a Friday night, is that we were able to ride the 7 Dwarves Mine train (which usually has an hour or more wait) 3 times in a row when lines were no more than 10 minutes long!

People-watching the fantastic array of costume varieties is SO MUCH FUN and our son had a blast spooking kids in line with his 'Five Nights At Freddy's' Freddy Fazbear Costume. Boy did he HAM it up!

Don't MISS the chance to take a special picture in front of the Haunted Mansion where they digitally add in a haunted driver later when you go onto the Disney website to download your pic!

I've heard that Friday evenings are the worst so if you can, try to go on a Sunday or a Tuesday night. We were SO GLAD we did. I would highly recommend this party. There is a lot to do and lots to see. Sure to be a unique experience for children and adults alike.

Pros:

special parade, fireworks, picture opportunities, and short lines for rides

Reviewed by manatee2420 Review Date: 10/07/2016

My husband, parents, and I attended on September 18th. We made a special trip from Georgia to celebrate. I have long wanted to go to MNSSHP and, being my 30th birthday that day, the timing finally seemed right. To say I had high hopes would be an understatement. I mean, to finally go to my favorite place on earth in the fall and on my birthday no less!

The party seemed much more crowded than I expected. As a teacher bound by school schedules, my husband and I usually go to Disney during the peak summer dates everyone bemoans online as terrible times to go. The September parties were touted online as so much less crowded and more pleasant. I honestly thought the crowds were equal to the most crowded summertime dates. Lines for everything were long. I hated how there were no wait times posted for characters. We waited over an hour to see the Seven Dwarfs. That was to be expected. But, we also waited over an hour to see Minnie/Donald/Daisy when the line appeared to be half as long as the Seven Dwarf line. If we had known it was to be that long, we would've gone and done something else. The line for the MNSSHP pin was at least a half an hour. We didn't stand in it. No pin was worth that after just spending over 2 hours waiting for characters! Best decision we made all night. There were even lines to get your picture taken by the Photopass photographers, which I never saw before!

Following some advice I read online, we intended to watch the later shows as they were "less crowded." Unfortunately, the weather rolled in. They ended up canceling the castle show (before the storm even hit the area) and postponing Wishes indefinitely once the rain poured. We ran for Pirates of the Caribbean, rode it with no wait, and then huddled under the exit area since the trick or treat stations were closed (due to being outside) and we didn't want to be stuck in an inside character line if the rain stopped and Wishes got started. It seemed really dumb to me that Disney would plan a party during hurricane season with so much that gets closed down (trick or treating, shows, character greetings that were mostly outside) when the rain comes. At least put the trick or treating inside somewhere...

The silver lining is that a quarter of 12 the rain stopped. Disney did show Wishes followed immediately by the second Boo to You Parade without the Headless Horseman. The Hocus Pocus show was canceled. I would advise everyone if there is any hint of rain in the forecast (which there probably will be) to ignore any advice you might read online and see the first show of everything. It might be more crowded, but at least you'll get to see it!

So, the party didn't live up to my expectations and I feel hesitant recommending it. Why isn't maybe a choice? If you don't care about characters, the experience would probably be more pleasant since those lines were longest. Most of the rides had short lines, but if you're there to ride, then go during the daytime and skip the extra fee. Dressing up was fun, although it was hotter than expected and polyester doesn't breathe well at all even though my costume was sleeveless. I might consider trying this another year with a different touring plan to see if the experience is better. If it's the same or worse, I won't be attending MNSSHP anymore.

Pros:

Unique characters, great atmosphere, great shows

Cons:

Crowded, weather

Reviewed by Tanasigirl Review Date: 09/27/2016

We attended our first MNSSHP on Tuesday, September 13, 2016. It was a very low crowd from what I gather, so we had no trouble with lines at all.

We were allowed in the park at 3:45. They move you to the right and you go behind the shops of Main Street for a second to get your treat bag and your first handful of treats. We had a couple of fast passes and an early dinner reservation to keep us busy till the party started at 7.

The monsoon lasted from 5-7, but it didn't slow us down. They canceled the first parade and closed a few rides for lightening. Otherwise, we ran from one ride to the other until the rain finally stopped and the party could begin.

We were not interested in characters or candy stations, just the atmosphere, fireworks, and parade. It was fun to see how elaborate some are with their costumes. We did a little, but just to fit in.

The Happy HalloWishes were tremendous! Loved the Oggie Boogie part. The Headless Horseman and the ghost outside the Haunted Mansion were unable to join us due to the weather, so that was a bit sad. But we watched the Boo to You parade from Frontierland and that was the best thing we did. Much lower crowds and the zombie version of the Dapper Dans was very entertaining.

They list all these restaurants that are to be open, but they don't stay open very long. So, we ended up at Pecos Bill late at night, which is not a favorite.

All in all, a great night for us. We were there from 3:45 pm till about 1 am. If you can do those hours and can keep a chill attitude, it's a lot of fun. We sat up at the train depot from about 12:15 till 12:45 just watching the lighting on Main Street change color.

Oh and go early in the season and in the week like we did. Much more manageable crowds. Boo to you! Happy Halloween!

Pros:

Great parade and fireworks

Cons:

Monsoon

Reviewed by TeacherGrandma Review Date: 09/20/2016

I attended the party on 9/16/16, a Friday night. It certainly was festive, and many costumes were almost professional looking. I had no idea people went all out on their costumes. There was a lengthy torrential downpour just as the party began, which lead to standing room only in the Emporium. I thought it was quite crowded (more crowded than 2 of the Christmas parties I attended last year). There were lines for candy, lines for photos, lines for party merchandise, and humungous lines for characters! Wait times for rides were pretty low. Hallowishes was amazing! The Celebrate the Magic was the same version shown every night. I was unable to see the show, which is supposed to be great, and saw most of the second parade on Main Street (could see easily; crowds low). The 5 hours of the party goes by in a flash. Some tough decisions need to be made.

Pros:

Stunning Hallowishes Fireworks

Cons:

Wicked Crowded

Reviewed by Fitzboyzmom Review Date: 11/18/2015

I was hesitant about going to the party because we had had a terrible experience at the Christmas party a few years ago. We really enjoyed this. They allow party goers with their bands to purchase event merchandise starting at 4PM. That was awesome for us because you ended up spending a lot of time in lines at 7 or after (they could not start selling until non party goers left).

The cast members were beyond helpful and pleasant all night. The candy lines were long, bit moved really fast.

The fireworks were beyond awesome. The only thing I thought was not that great was how long it took the parade to get going. The headless horseman came out, but then we waited and waited and waited for the rest of the parade to start. It was well beyond the published time.

We attended on October 29th and the event was sold out. It was crowded, but not unmanageable. I look forward to going again in the future.

Reviewed by Minniegal5 Review Date: 10/22/2015

A group of 9 of us went on Oct. 20th ranging in age from 30-71. We had no trouble getting a table for 9 at Harbour House to eat, no trouble getting 9 on a ride, no trouble finding 9 spaces to watch parade! Our longest wait for a ride was 20 minutes for Peter Pan which, as you know, is not long at all!! I notice some people complain about crowds--well, it is a theme park and especially after a parade or fireworks there will be crowds, but all-in-all not that bad. We had no small children so therefore no waiting in line to see a character which, from what I read, can be long. We had our picture taken at Haunted Mansion, the photographer clicked the wristbands and voila! Great photos! (also had photos taken at other places) but Haunted Mansion photos have ghosts hitching along :) The weather was wonderful which, of course, adds to the fun so I totally understand my friend who went on a day with downpours was not happy! But, I told her, there is always next year!! Go! Enjoy!

Reviewed by tcg Review Date: 10/09/2015

I attended last night (it was my 3rd time, my 23 y/o son's 1st) and had a blast. Since I live really close by, I am able to go to the parks very often. The Halloween party crowds are the most polite I ever encounter! Everyone is happy, the costumes are great and the cast members are really into the fun. The Headless Horseman and fantastic parade are worth the entry price alone.

Pros:

Amazing parade, terrific Cast Members, polite guests

Cons:

None!

Reviewed by LLSS Review Date: 09/29/2015

This was our first time attending. I had read the earlier you go in the season, the less crowded, but as we pulled in, there were signs of the party being sold out for the night.

We arrived early (make sure you get there by 4 to get maximum time). By 5:30, we were in line for Jack and Sally. We met them at 8:30. The line was just absolutely insane. Not sure if there is much they could do for that, but man it was insane.

For this day, we had a nasty thunderstorm roll through at about 7. Because of this, it took them a REALLY long time to get set up with the outside characters, candy stations, etc. I heard complaints at around 745 (15 minutes after the storms) that the only candy place open was at the Circus, and the line went to the Ariel meet and greet (which has to be hundreds of people long). Of course the storms are not their fault, but you would think they would be ready as soon as the storms ended to get things up and running (obviously they weren't still waiting as there was at least one station open).

Aside from that, the parade was pretty interesting, the show was very cool, and the fireworks were great. However, I think the top thing for us was the lack of lines for everything the parks. We had a 15 minute wait for Anna/Elsa. We were 5 minutes for Rapunzel/Cinderella. We walked onto Buzz Lightyear and walked in to meet Tinker Bell. Even the mine train only had a 20 minute wait. So an interesting aside at this is to take advantage of getting to ride all of those rides you don't normally get to.

All that said, I'm just not sure it's worth it. I'm glad we did it once, but for $70 each, we essentially got a different set of fireworks, a different stage show, a different parade, and a couple different meet and greets.

Pros:

Characters you don't normally see, lines for rides

Cons:

Price, lines for special characters

Reviewed by minniemagicalmoments Review Date: 09/25/2015

Attended the party on Tuesday September 22, 2015. Arrived at 5pm because we dinner ran a little later than planned. Was able to use 2 of our 3 FP reservations made before 7pm. Many of the rides were a walk on: Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountian were all under 5 minutes. Peter Pan and 7 Dwarfs were the longest lines but we FP Peter Pan and rode 7 Dwarfs twice, waited 25 min then 10 min even though posted times were double the actual wait. Rode every thing we wanted. Only went through 3 Trick or Treat lines. Those got much longer and we were too excited about the rides. Stopped to watch the Headless Horseman and the Fireworks and just a few minutes of the Hocus Pocus show. Really an enjoyable night. No FP options for the party really levels the playing field and I really like it! Saw several of the characters that only show up during the party from afar. Very fun atmosphere!

Pros:

short lines for rides

Reviewed by CinCin Review Date: 11/15/2014

I loved the party! This was my first ever year and although it was a bit crowded on a sold out night, I still had a wonderful time and plan on doing it again. There was so much going on that I didn't have time to do and see it all. The whole park atmosphere was party ready with the lighting and the music, The castle was lit up in eerie shades of green and purple and there were bats on it. The whole place was themed well. It was fun seeing other guests dressed up and their fun Halloween costumes. These people (guests) plan this thing for months ahead and the costumes are really well thought out and executioned. I met some fun people waiting in line and made some new friends as we waited for the Seven Dwarfs meet and greet/photo shoot. I lined up at 6 pm for a 7 pm meet and the line was already well formed even an hour ahead. The parade was a huge highlight and the headless horseman was the star to be sure. The crowds were thin enough that I had a decent view even without staking out a spot for the parade, but ride lines which I heard were short to none in years past were long and I only rode one, The Haunted Mansion. Carlotta was out entertaining guests in the que at the Haunted Mansion and she is side splitting funny! Definitely a must see for the party. I wish I had attended a second party during my trip as I didn't get to any of the dance parties and didn't get to shop for any event specific merchandise and missed the event cupcakes and candy corn cotton candy too. I did get some trick or treating done and came home with a sack of candy. A nice variety of treats too from yogurt covered craisins and M&M's to Snickers, Butterfingers, candy corn and marshmallow peeps for the peep lovers. It was sold out on the night I attended and the next time I go I am definitely booking 2 parties! I loved it. I was able to see characters that are rarely out and get some great photos. The fireworks were amazing as was the show on the castle beforehand. All in all, I had an amazing time and it was worth what I paid to get in. It is advertised that it starts at 7pm but you can enter with your hard ticket as early as 4 pm through a special que and get your wrist band. The bands are different colors every night so you can't re-use them for another party.

Pros:

character meet and greets, special parade, hallowishes fireworks, Carlotta at the Haunted Mansion, headless horseman!

Cons:

crowds, long lines for attractions,
1 2 3 4 5 6 8

Other topics in SPECIAL EVENTS at WDW (including Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, Food and Wine, runDisney)