Reviews of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (Magic Kingdom)

Each year Mickey hosts the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party in the Magic Kingdom. This is a hard ticket event -- meaning you need to purchase a separate ticket for entry (just like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). The Magic Kingdom is transformed into a fun spooky haven for trick-or-treaters of all ages.

Requires separate admission ticket.

Fact Sheet and Current Information/Blogs Photos/Videos: http://allears.net/tp/mk/mnssh.htm

Reviewed by Colleen Review Date: 09/26/2018

We love this party, and this was our fourth year in a row attending. We love the atmosphere, costumes, trick or treating, Boo to You Parade and Hallowishes. I have read a lot of people complaining about the crowds, and although it had gotten more crowded over the years we have had no trouble doing the things we like. We had short wait times for rides, decent spots for the parade without camping out ahead of time, and came away with plenty of candy. Even though the trick or treating lines seem very long they move quickly and they are quite generous. We don't do the character meet and greets so I can't comment on that, but I have heard those lines were quite long. We look forward to doing this again next year.

Pros:

general Halloween atmosphere fun parade and shows manageable wait times Trick or Treating

Cons:

becoming more crowded limited food options for dinner

Reviewed by Karen Schlaker Review Date: 09/26/2018

Went previous year

Pros:

Guests loved my husbands' costume and kept getting requests to take his photo, nice to do it once but not worth the money to do it a second time, loved the parade

Cons:

expensive, crowded, candy was just okay (again expensive ticket)

Reviewed by tmmartin Review Date: 09/26/2018

BY FAR our most favorite special event in the parks, and we've done most of them over the year. If you are a character stalker (like my kids were when they were young), this is the event for you! You will see many of the rarely found characters, and believe me, we found them all throughout the night. SO LOVED the theme of the night, the atmosphere and the special events of the night. SO WANT TO GO BACK! How am I going to work today, with the beautiful memories of the MNSSHP running around in my head? I won't be able to concentrate. ;)

Pros:

Lower crowd levels Special Boo To You parade Awesome castlefront shows LOVE SEEING ALL THE VILLIANS Beautiful fireworks

Cons:

The price, but you still have to do it if you are visiting the world during the fall.

Reviewed by MM from Connecticut Review Date: 09/26/2018

Excellent event to attend at least once. It was very fun and festive, and everyone was in the Halloween spirit. Big tip: trick or treating is fun, but cast members hand out the candy, not villains, so not worth spending a lot of time getting candy. Excellent shows and little dance parties that are only seen at this party.

Pros:

Short lines for attractions -- we rode all our favorites with little or no wait, including Seven Dwarf's Mine Train.

Cons:

Very long lines for characters. And watch the weather -- the parade was canceled due to thunderstorms, so we never got to see it.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/25/2018

Loved the festivities but it was much too crowded. We never trick or treated, didn't get to meet any characters as all the lines were too long. We used the advice to see the later parade and show but it was still very crowded. During the day the crowds were much lighter than normal but after 7 it became as crowded as a typical summer day which we avoid. I thought this was a special event to do but for 7 of us it was a big waste of money

Pros:

Decorations

Cons:

Too crowded, too expensive

Reviewed by bellebookworm9 Review Date: 09/10/2018

We attended MNSSHP for the first time since 2011 on Labor Day 2018 (Monday, September 3rd). While I didn’t dress up as anything specific, I was fully decked out in Halloween shirt, leggings, socks, tutu, and Minnie Mouse Ears from 2015 (and got tons of compliments on all of it, especially the ears, which are no longer available).

We had a 5:20 ADR at Crystal Palace and arrived at the park around 5, and directed toward Market Street (behind Main Street) to pick up our candy bags and visit first candy stop. They had decorations and photo ops (small character statues in costume, MNSSHP “frames”) but as it was 5:09 and all lines had several people already, we skipped the extras.

By the time we finished dinner it was about 6:50 and anyone without party wristbands was being escorted out. We headed to Adventureland and lined up for Tarzan, Terk, and Jane. Although there were only a few groups ahead of me, they had more people come and join them so it took about 20 minutes to get to the front of the line - and there was no Photopass photographer.

After that, we didn’t meet any more characters because they all had longer lines. We rode Pirates (20 minute wait) and I wasn’t really impressed with the hyped-up Gunpowder Pete addition. Kind of lame, actually. Rode BTMRR with no wait. Haunted Mansion waited about 5 minutes - love the CM makeup during the parties!

Visited every candy stop from Adventureland clockwise through the park to Storybook Circus and then our bags were full. They were VERY generous with candy and lines moved quickly all night. Received a good variety of different kinds of chocolate, M&Ms, starbursts, skittles, etc.

We saw the fireworks from the hub at 10:15, watched the Hocus Pocus show at 10:45 from same spot (a little far but perfectly audible) and stayed in place (handicapped viewing) for 11:15 parade. Love the fireworks and parade!

It’d be easy to visit 2-3 parties just to try and get everything done. We saw Madame Rinatta outsize Mansion and she was so funny. Took a couple of Photopass photos with Hitchhiking ghosts. Need at least one party to meet characters and one to do all the other things! Our party was definitely not sold out and the temperature was nice. Disappointing that they’ve slowly phased out a lot of the Villain meets over the years. Now it’s just Cruella, Jafar, Lotso...Jack and Sally aren’t really villains.

Pros:

Short lines for rides, lots of candy, parade and fireworks were great

Cons:

Character lines are long; few villains to meet any more

Reviewed by mbelerique19 Review Date: 10/10/2017

We decided a week before our trip that we wanted to attend the Halloween party. I was really sold on the exclusive merchandise, food, and entertainment. I wish we would have been able to enter the park at 4pm instead of 7pm so we would have had more time but we were able to see both the Hocus Pocus performance and the Hallowishes fireworks. I tried the candy corn soft serve ice cream and it was great. Not overly sweet. We would definitely do this again and can't wait for the chance to do a Christmas party.

Pros:

Exclusive merchandise & desserts

Cons:

Can be pricey

Reviewed by mawdryn Review Date: 10/26/2016

My husband, daughter (16) and I attended MNSSHP on Sunday, October 23rd. This was our first party since 2007, and it was exactly as I remembered. The crowds were low, and we walked on just about everything. Mine Train had a consistent 30 minute wait, but we had a FP for it, so we walked right on.

We came home with 3, gallon sized, Zip Lock bags full of candy (Dove bars, M&M's, Lifesaver gummies, Snickers, Skittles, Milky Way and Trix).

The parade was AWESOME and the fireworks spectacular!!!!

Pros:

Low Crowds, Lots of Candy and Short Ride Times

Cons:

Character Lines were VERY Long all Night...

Reviewed by bethocindigo Review Date: 10/20/2016

We took our 11 year-old son to the party on a Sunday evening for his early birthday present. We found it to be great! I will say that security is extremely tight and they strictly enforce party rules and guidelines. Our son had his orange 'Star Tours' gun taken from him and we had to leave it with guest services for the night. They also told him he could not wear his face mask and we had to leave it in a locker early in the day, however, around 5pm when costumed people were flooding into the park we saw another child wearing the same mask so I marched right back to the locker room and got it for my son to enjoy.

We brought our costumes early in the day, was able to swipe our magic band and charge the locker fee to the room, and leave our costumes in there until around dark. Later we came back and changed into them effortlessly.

The 'Boo-to-You' Parade is excellent, the fireworks display was LARGER than any I'd ever seen before and the Hocus Pocus show sounded lots of fun. We weren't close to it but I'll bet it was great.

A unique thing about this party if you don't go on a Friday night, is that we were able to ride the 7 Dwarves Mine train (which usually has an hour or more wait) 3 times in a row when lines were no more than 10 minutes long!

People-watching the fantastic array of costume varieties is SO MUCH FUN and our son had a blast spooking kids in line with his 'Five Nights At Freddy's' Freddy Fazbear Costume. Boy did he HAM it up!

Don't MISS the chance to take a special picture in front of the Haunted Mansion where they digitally add in a haunted driver later when you go onto the Disney website to download your pic!

I've heard that Friday evenings are the worst so if you can, try to go on a Sunday or a Tuesday night. We were SO GLAD we did. I would highly recommend this party. There is a lot to do and lots to see. Sure to be a unique experience for children and adults alike.

Pros:

special parade, fireworks, picture opportunities, and short lines for rides

Reviewed by manatee2420 Review Date: 10/07/2016

My husband, parents, and I attended on September 18th. We made a special trip from Georgia to celebrate. I have long wanted to go to MNSSHP and, being my 30th birthday that day, the timing finally seemed right. To say I had high hopes would be an understatement. I mean, to finally go to my favorite place on earth in the fall and on my birthday no less!

The party seemed much more crowded than I expected. As a teacher bound by school schedules, my husband and I usually go to Disney during the peak summer dates everyone bemoans online as terrible times to go. The September parties were touted online as so much less crowded and more pleasant. I honestly thought the crowds were equal to the most crowded summertime dates. Lines for everything were long. I hated how there were no wait times posted for characters. We waited over an hour to see the Seven Dwarfs. That was to be expected. But, we also waited over an hour to see Minnie/Donald/Daisy when the line appeared to be half as long as the Seven Dwarf line. If we had known it was to be that long, we would've gone and done something else. The line for the MNSSHP pin was at least a half an hour. We didn't stand in it. No pin was worth that after just spending over 2 hours waiting for characters! Best decision we made all night. There were even lines to get your picture taken by the Photopass photographers, which I never saw before!

Following some advice I read online, we intended to watch the later shows as they were "less crowded." Unfortunately, the weather rolled in. They ended up canceling the castle show (before the storm even hit the area) and postponing Wishes indefinitely once the rain poured. We ran for Pirates of the Caribbean, rode it with no wait, and then huddled under the exit area since the trick or treat stations were closed (due to being outside) and we didn't want to be stuck in an inside character line if the rain stopped and Wishes got started. It seemed really dumb to me that Disney would plan a party during hurricane season with so much that gets closed down (trick or treating, shows, character greetings that were mostly outside) when the rain comes. At least put the trick or treating inside somewhere...

The silver lining is that a quarter of 12 the rain stopped. Disney did show Wishes followed immediately by the second Boo to You Parade without the Headless Horseman. The Hocus Pocus show was canceled. I would advise everyone if there is any hint of rain in the forecast (which there probably will be) to ignore any advice you might read online and see the first show of everything. It might be more crowded, but at least you'll get to see it!

So, the party didn't live up to my expectations and I feel hesitant recommending it. Why isn't maybe a choice? If you don't care about characters, the experience would probably be more pleasant since those lines were longest. Most of the rides had short lines, but if you're there to ride, then go during the daytime and skip the extra fee. Dressing up was fun, although it was hotter than expected and polyester doesn't breathe well at all even though my costume was sleeveless. I might consider trying this another year with a different touring plan to see if the experience is better. If it's the same or worse, I won't be attending MNSSHP anymore.

Pros:

Unique characters, great atmosphere, great shows

Cons:

Crowded, weather
1 2 3 4 5 6 8