Reviews of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (Magic Kingdom)

Each year Mickey hosts the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party in the Magic Kingdom. This is a hard ticket event -- meaning you need to purchase a separate ticket for entry (just like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). The Magic Kingdom is transformed into a fun spooky haven for trick-or-treaters of all ages.

Requires separate admission ticket.

Fact Sheet and Current Information/Blogs Photos/Videos: http://allears.net/tp/mk/mnssh.htm

Reviewed by pwood78 Review Date: 10/03/2016

I have attended the MNSSHP party several times in the past. We attended this year on Sunday Sept 25, 2016. It didn't seem really crowded, but the lines were insane to meet characters and to trick or treat.

I felt like we had to stick to one theme and couldn't do everything.

We got in the park at 4pm and rode some rides and had a quick service dinner, at 7pm we attempted to trick or treat. We waited 10 minutes in 1 line to get 2 pieces of candy so we gave up on trick or treating, it was a waste of time.

We walked past every character meet and greet, the lines were ridiculously long, which I knew beforehand that the lines start really early and take a long time, so I didn't plan on meeting characters anyway.

so we stuck with watching the parade, shows and dance parties. Unfortunately, everyone but me was pooped out by 10pm, so I missed the fireworks. With 2 more hours we may have been able to do a little shopping, watch fireworks and maybe jump on a quick ride or 2.

I wouldn't recommend going to the party anymore. It isn't the same as in the past.

The Toy Story dance party is gone. And the villains used to come off the stage after the show and do meet and greets, I met 5 villains back to back in 15 minutes last time I went in 2011. They don't do meet and greets after the stage show anymore, and there aren't many villains out at all doing meets.

Pros:

Parades/Shows

Cons:

Lines

Reviewed by MouseBound4 Review Date: 11/02/2014

This was our 6th MNSSHP in the past 10 years. PROS: We love thinking up family Disney-related costumes & all dressing up. We also enjoy seeing others' costumes, & encourage everyone who goes to dress up because it adds to the fun. We noticed this year that more of the restaurants were staying open for the party, which is nice. The main advantage of the party is shorter lines on the bigger rides. We have enthusiastically endorsed MNSSHP to our friends & family for years; however, the cons now outweigh the pros for us & we will no longer be recommending it. CONS: The crowds are now extreme. WDW simply allows too many people in at the same time to the point it is bumper to bumper people, making it very difficult to get around. We had read that the crowds were less during the weeknights as opposed to weekends, so we went on Tuesday, Oct 21st. It was still outrageously crowded. The fireworks are wonderful, but there were so many people packed in to the park, we could not even see the fireworks except through the trees. We had looked forward to seeing the light show on the castle before the fireworks, but could not get anywhere near the castle to see the show. The ticket price continues to rise. We are huge Disney fans & it pains us to have to write a negative review, but I do think others need to know so they can be prepared for the crowds.

Pros:

All the great costumes!

Cons:

Extreme crowds, rising costs

Reviewed by 5busyrussells Review Date: 09/10/2014

We had previously attended MVMCP, which was much more crowded - but much more worthwhile. This felt very "thrown together". We did trick or treat, although most of the cast members were very crabby and scolded the kids if they returned for more candy (especially in the Werther's line). The best part was virtually no lines for any of the rids including Seven Dwarfs Mine ride. The fireworks, though, were phenomenal - no one quite knows how to do fireworks like Disney! We experienced it, but I can't say I would highly recommend and we definitely would not do it again.

Pros:

Nonexistent wait lines for rids

Cons:

—

Reviewed by darcelmargliotti Review Date: 08/27/2013

I think the price is too much.After all I just paid to get in the Magic Kingdom for the day only to come out and turn around to go back in for additional money.The parade and fireworks were awesome but just the same as any other Wishes or Electrical Parade performance.Why not just let you back in without charge.People will still send a lot of money on merchandise and food so give us a break!!

Pros:

Very Disneyrific!!!

Cons:

Price,crowds

Reviewed by Tamara Ervin Review Date: 09/27/2018

This was my first MNSSHP, and I am on the fence about whether it was worth it or not. I went on a Tuesday in September, the crowds were not horrible, but everything still had a wait. I was expecting more than what was there, based on reviews of previous years. There was no way anyone could get through the whole party by midnight. I am just not as "wow'd" as I thought I would be.

Pros:

Good candy, shorter ride lines

Cons:

Way too hot, long lines for candy and characters

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/25/2018

Loved the festivities but it was much too crowded. We never trick or treated, didn't get to meet any characters as all the lines were too long. We used the advice to see the later parade and show but it was still very crowded. During the day the crowds were much lighter than normal but after 7 it became as crowded as a typical summer day which we avoid. I thought this was a special event to do but for 7 of us it was a big waste of money

Pros:

Decorations

Cons:

Too crowded, too expensive

Reviewed by Fredd Review Date: 05/18/2016

I attended last years 'Not so scary Party' in September, my 3rd party over the years.
I was amazed at the size of the crowds, much larger than on any previous visit to the Magic Kingdom going back to 1983.
The transition between the day & night crowds was very well handled but the volume of the crowd meant that there were long queues for everything, including the restrooms!
Not all attractions were open on the night we attended and the queue for the Seven Dwarf's Mine train was unbelievable.
The handouts at the 'Goofy Candy Company stands were very small in contrast with previous years but the queues very, very long and slow moving.
If you hadn't attended a 'Not so scary Party' before don't miss it but if you have been before consider saving your money for something else like a good meal at one of the better restaurants!

Pros:

Halloween costuming of guests & Park.

Cons:

Huge crowds & reduced trick or treat candies.

Reviewed by pamrrowan44 Review Date: 04/19/2019

I took my older granddaughter in 2012 and Mickey's Not So Scary was wonderful. The crowd was very small, we rode many of the rides with little or no wait and took part in all the special evening events. I took both my granddaughters this past year, 2018, and it was not at all the same. This time there were too many people to really enjoy anything. The ride waits were quite long, the kids could hardly see the show at the castle because of the crowds and the specialty desserts were very small for the very costly price that they were. I would like to hope that Disney will take a look at the negatives from people and go back to limiting the tickets they sell for this event each night. They advertise that it is a much less crowded experience, but that is not the case anymore. However, I would still recommend that people who have not been give it a try as at some point Disney may fix the negatives and it is quite a fun event!

Pros:

The wonderful candy, seeing all the great costumes, the parade is the best parade at the kingdoms and the show at the castle is terrific.

Cons:

Much too crowded to enjoy the night, ride waits way too long and dessert prices much too high for what you get.

Reviewed by jessicahs Review Date: 11/08/2018

We have been to the MNSSHP several times in the past and I could definitely tell that this year on 10/30/18 they sold WAY too many tickets. The crowds were crazy huge. The candy was good, cast members seemed very into it. The parade and fireworks are the best.

Pros:

Trick or treating, Boo to You parade, fireworks

Cons:

Crowds

Reviewed by sand935 Review Date: 09/28/2018

I went to the party on a tuesday. When I talked to friends it sounded like this party was less crowded than the weekend parties. i thought it was the most crowed party I have been to in four years. If this had been my first party I would have liked it a lot. Knowing what parties included in other years I was disappointed in the changes. Character lines were longer so only did one toward the end of the night.

Pros:

Fun party cheap day at the park with the special ticket

Cons:

crowds no special candy leaving the park no wurthers caramels long character lines

Other topics in SPECIAL EVENTS at WDW (including Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, Food and Wine, runDisney)