Reviews of Jiko - The Cooking Place - Jambo House

View Menus at Jiko - The Cooking Place Dining Location

Full Service - Dinner
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House

Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/jiko-the-cooking-place/dinner
Child's Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/jiko-the-cooking-place/child-dinner

Reviewer: ChallengerHK1 Review Date: 02/05/2019

I struggled with this rating. The food at Jiko was outside, with flavors both subtle and exotic. I would put it on par with he California Grill.

The problem is the portions. I'm used to a Disney mode, where the portions are very generous. I've been to Jiko before, and it fit that mode. On this visit, it was more California cuisine, with immense plates and tiny little portions placed "artistically" on the plate.

Somewhere in the middle would probably be good. As it is, with the very high price of dining here, I don't think I got a good value.

Pros:

Excellent food Excellent decor

Cons:

Small portions Low value given the high price

Reviewer: sand935 Review Date: 10/01/2018

the filet with the mac and cheese was the best, they also bring you a little spoon from the Chef with a taste of one of his favorites. It think this one was the wild boar, it was good what ever it was. the desserts are unusual and fun to try. If we cant get a reservation we ask if there is room at the area where they make the flatbreads and salads (it is just the two of us). It is fun to watch them make the stuff and they talk to you while they make it.

Pros:

Excellent food beautiful area

Reviewer: Jason V Review Date: 09/29/2018

Amazing place, probably the best I have been to in Disney. Sanaa is about the same but it's cheaper. Great food, great service. I haven't been to many Signature restaurants at Disney but this has been the best I have been to.

Pros:

Great great food.

Cons:

Is pricey (but worth it)

Reviewer: Alexandra1986 Review Date: 09/28/2018

We ate at Jiko on August 29, 2018 for our Anniversary dinner. The staff here is wonderful and extremely welcoming. I started with the appetizer Inguday Tibs in Brik which was amazing, super crunchy filo outside and mushrooms, spinach with cheese inside highly recommend, for the main course I had the filet with mac and cheese which was perfectly cooked and tender. My husband had the Elk Confit flatbread which was so delicious with a little bit of spice heat on it, and he had the Durham ranch elk loin for main course he said was good and tender but found the portion a little on the small size. Overall we really enjoyed the meal and atmosphere of the restaurant and would recommend for anyone wanting something a little more unique for dinner.

Pros:

Service was excellent, food was amazing

Reviewer: cmschn Review Date: 09/27/2018

Wow, what an amazing experience. Our meal was at a very leisurely pace and so fantastic. We had the Taste of Africa, which was delicious. My husband had the Filet Mignon and I had the seafood curry. Both were great. We were here for the wine and it didn’t disappoint. Our server was knowledgeable and friendly. Everything was above and beyond expectations and I would love to go here again.

Pros:

Extensive wine list, knowledgeable servers, delicious and unique food, elegant yet leisurely ambiance

Cons:

If you are in a rush, don’t go here, but why would you be in a rush??

Reviewer: Anonymous Review Date: 09/26/2018

What a fabulous restaurant in an amazing location!! Located inside Jambo House at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jiko's serves African-inspired cuisine and is open for dinner only. Due to their popularity I highly recommend reservations, which you can make up to 180 days in advance.

My visit to Jiko's was part of the Wanyama Safari (which I HIGHLY recommend!). Our dinner was served family style and included traditional African dips and breads, sampling of African-inspired appetizers, Beef short ribs, north African-style chicken, maize-crusted sustainable fish with seasonal vegetables and dessert sampling plate. Each course was paired with a delicious South African wine.

Based on our meal, I would highly recommend Jiko's Signature Dining!!

Pros:

Food is delicious! Love the open area where they make the bread. For those wanting to know what the restaurant is all about, there is a free daily tour at 4:15pm (highly recommend)

Cons:

Very pricey and most likely, you will need a reservation.

Reviewer: Liz McKinnell Review Date: 09/21/2018

We ate here after a full day in Animal Kingdom on 10th September. We were a bit early for our reservation but they were fine with that, apart from the fact that my husband was not wearing a collared shirt (my fault for not reading the dress code) but they were able to led him one so all was OK.
The food was wonderful - very different from anything else in WDW.Our server was lovely and very attentive.
This was one of the nicest meals we’ve ever had at WDW

Pros:

Food, atmosphere

Cons:

Make sure you read the dress code!

Reviewer: KenHutch Review Date: 06/25/2018

If this rating system went above 10 it would get the max allowed. This is by far my favorite place to eat in all of WDW and I do believe its the best restaurant in WDW. I had the Taste of Africa for an appetizer and the Durham Elk Loin as a main. They were both incredible and I highly recommend this place.

Pros:

Incredible Food

Reviewer: patersonprattle Review Date: 06/10/2018

Our family of 7 adults had the pleasure of dining at Jiko, at Animal Kingdom Lodge. We were seated in what I believe was called the Wine Cellar room, but I'm not exactly sure. Our waiter, Ron, was kind, attentive, and extremely helpful. He had extensive knowledge of both the food and drink menu items. His expertise was incredibly helpful in making our appetizer, drink, and meal choices. The warm scented wash cloths and moroccan mint tea were a great start to what would soon become one of our favorite meals at Walt Disney World ever. My husband had the Durham Ranch Elk Loin - celery root puree, hibiscus-candied apples, turnip atjar, lemon-elk jus, which he thought was great, and would definitely eat again. Several of us enjoyed the Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon Highlight Item - bobotie mac n' cheese, grilled Delta-asparagus, kachumbari, South African red wine sauce, which was perfection! My daughter in law chose the Grouper which she was very pleased with as well. My son and daughter both chose the Bo Kaap Malay Seafood Curry - lobster, calamari, red shrimp, mussels, coconut curry sauce, saffron rice . They both loved it!! The Malva Pudding - Melktart ice cream, Kataifi, kanu tuile, cabernet gelee dessert was outstanding, as were our after dinner drinks. I chose the Nutty African. To make the night even more special, Tadie, one of the seaters, brought a hand signed card from various staff, each who had written a special congratulations in their own African language to my son and daughter in law who were celebrating their first wedding anniversary. They also brought them a dessert that wasn't even on the menu. Excellent meal, and incredibly thoughtful service. We will definitely return!

Pros:

One of our favorite meals ever!

Reviewer: MrDisneyphile Review Date: 04/09/2018

Went to Jiko for my wife's 40th birthday. What a treat! Not only did we get an excellent location (without asking or letting anyone know we were there for an occasion) we were treated to a perfect meal. The food was great, the wine was great, the staff was even better. They did a great job letting us spend some time enjoying our meal and each other but also provided great service and a special experience for my wife. The staff even hand wrote a personalized birthday card for her and brought her (free) dessert, capping off a wonderful evening.

Pros:

The food was delicious and the staff were unreal