Reviews of Grand Californian Hotel

Photo Gallery:

Disneyland On-site vs Off-site:

Reviewer: Disneyhenry Review Date: 06/07/2018

I stayed at the GC for 2 nights, it was for a work conference
The staff: they were amazing, all very happy and helpful.
I thought it was strange not being able to do an online check in, I was worried about my early arrival and no room request. I arrived at 10am, it was just my 9 year old and me. My work had forgot to request an ADA room ( I have a scooter) but at check in they switched me, I received an ADA room and it was ready! My room was 3208, not to far from the elevator and a pool.
The room was about the size of a deluxe at WDW, the balcony was small but nice, the decor was beautiful with lots of lighting, which was good because it is darker decor.
The bathroom was nice size, good size walk in shower but no pull string to hang bathing suits. Only a slider door for the bathroom, that was ok for son and I but if more people where in the room it may have even awkward.
Plenty of storage for us, a fridge, big flat screen tv and comfy bed.
Food - I was shocked there was no food court! They said because they are in downtown Disney they didn’t need one, however there isn’t much food options at DTD
Pool - my muscles were cramping I needed the hot tub, so off to the pool. They advertise 3 pools, but they are all located in the same area and One was closed, along with one of the two hot tubs. The pools were crowded, so was the hot tub but I was happy the hot tub was hot.
Location- it is great! Love being able to walk to CA

We will on the West Coast, haven’t been to DLR in 3 years, we go to WDW every year, we will return in 3 years I will probably stay at the Grand Californian again, the location and being able to charge my scooter easily it the huge plus! At least I will know what to expect I gave it a 8 because no food court (so eating after 9pm is difficult) the room size is small and no pull string in the bathroom but location and staff helped make up for it

Pros:

Location

Cons:

No food court, small sized rooms

Reviewer: isk8 Review Date: 11/02/2015

DCG is my second favorite Disney Hotel. (Aulani is my favorite) It is expensive though. You can't beat the location. It is so convenient to the parks and Downtown Disney.

The room is clean and nicely furnished. It is upscale by Disney standards, but not real world standards. The bathroom is a standard size. There's a small room with the toilet and tub and the double sink is outside of the toilet room. There is no door that blocks the sink area from the room.

The views are nice. Previously, we had a Downtown Disney view which I really liked. I was afraid it would be noisy, but it was not. We could also see DL with this view. On this visit, we had a theme park view. Beware of this because the only part of DCA we could see was the very top of Grizzly Peak. Most of our view was of the pool.

We had a minor issue with our room which was fixed immediately.

I love the theming and architecture of this hotel. In the past, I've taken the tour offered, and I highly recommend it. Make sure you sign up for it because the tour I was on was full. You do not have to be staying at DGC to take the tour.

If it's in our budget, I would always choose to stay here.

Pros:

Location, theming

Cons:

Reviewer: belle12877 Review Date: 09/02/2014

I absolutely LOVED our stay this past weekend at the Grand Californian Hotel for the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend. My mom, sister and I arrived on a Friday late morning, had a short wait at registration. The cast member was very courteous at check in. She said they would store our luggage and we would receive a text message when the room was ready - they provide you the keys that are activated once the room is ready. No sooner had we stored our luggage and headed out the door to Downtown Disney, and I already received a text that our room was ready and the room number itself! When we went to our room, we discovered it was a handicap-accessible room - which normally wouldn't be a problem - but for three women needing lots of counter space, lots of bathroom time! (there is no separation in the bathroom for the shower and toilet area in an accessible room) and who brought sun dresses that the closet couldn't accommodate, it didn't work well for us. So we called the front desk, and the cast member was able to switch us to a different room - all we had to do was collect our items and get new keys at the front desk. Our new room was AWESOME! Right along Downtown Disney (directly above World of Color) so the view from our balcony was great -- we could see the monorail passing by, Space Mountain, the Matterhorn and we had a PERFECT view of the fireworks at night! I would also like to note that I was quite worried it would be crazy loud since we were right in the thick of Downtown Disney - but once you close the balcony door, that wasn't the case! It was quiet as can be in the room.
Every cast member we encountered was incredibly helpful and courteous, the rooms are absolutely beautiful and frankly, it will be hard to stay anywhere else in the Disneyland area now that I've stayed at the Grand Californian. The lobby is so beautiful -- after running the Dumbo Challenge (the 10K race + half marathon) and playing in the parks, we all were so tired the day of checkout, we actually sat in the lobby area for over an hour, listened to the piano music and it was SO nice! When we were leaving, we had a slight problem with the Uber car I had ordered to take us to the airport, and the cast members who saw what was happening took care of us right away! It was fantastic. Maybe the only downside I can see about the resort is it can be a bit confusing weaving in and out of the hallways to find your way to the elevators, etc - but that's a very minor thing and we all figured it out after a couple of tries! :) I would highly recommend this resort for anyone wanting to stay on Disney property. The location is fantastic and overall our stay was near perfect.

Pros:

Beautiful resort, fantastic location, won't stay anywhere else!

Cons:

None!

Reviewer: jdetrick Review Date: 12/18/2013

I have no complaints about this hotel. The location is very convenient, it has some of the best restaurants on property, and we found the room to be spacious (by Disney standards) and very comfortable.

Pros:

Atmosphere, comfortable rooms, wonderful restaurants, great location

Cons:

Reviewer: tiggabump Review Date: 09/24/2013

We stayed at the Grand Californian from 9/15 to 9/20 we had 3 rooms which were always kept spotless for the rooms with the kids there were towel animals and mousekeeping used their stuffed animals to create scenes. every one was friendly and always said hello or welcome to Disneyland. There were 9 of us 6 adults and 3 children and we had no problems. I rented a EVC and a stroller from offsite and they were waiting at guest services for us. there was a long line for check in but it went quickly. Can't wait to got back for just a girls time

Pros:

Very clean and friendly people