Reviews of Fort Wilderness Campground

A Disney Camping Resort.

For full details, Fact Sheet, Photos and Videos visit: http://allears.net/acc/faq_fw.htm

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 10/12/2019

This was our first stay at the campgrounds with our camper which we just bought in January 2019. We have taken it on week-long travel trips from Nashville to Virginia Beach as well as short weekend trips to state and national parks around TN and KY so we have experience now camping with 3 young boys and 2 golden-doodles. We thought it would be fun to camp here with our new camper and made the online reservations for the full hook up over 6 months in advance but it was not easy to get 6 consecutive nights even that early. I would recommend calling and making the reservation 1 year in advance if you know your dates and be generous if your not sure how long you wish to stay b/c you can cancel 5 days in advance without penalty. We got lucky and called 4 days in advance were able to extend our stay one more night but we would have liked 7 days. We were assigned a campsite in the 1700s which was off the main road but still near a busy road so you can hear road traffic which is why we gave our stay a 9. I would reserve a site further from even the side road to avoid hearing buses and golf carts running through the back of our site. We loved our stay and wished we hadn’t purchased the 4-park passes so we had more days at the campgrounds. We arrived on Sunday at 9:30am and were allowed to keep our camper in the overflow lot until our site was ready. We were texted within 30-45min that our site was ready. Check in is at 3pm and check out 11am. We rented a golf cart and were very lucky to get one b/c they were booked the last 2 days b/c October is a busy time of year for them and the campgrounds was booked of all sites and carts. I recommend they use small electric shuttles instead of large diesel buses to travel within the campgrounds to avoid large, loud and smoggy buses. The large ones aren’t usually filled. The kids loved the pool and arcade. I liked the grounds for running and biking. We reserved the Hoop Dee Doo revue the first night, first show which was delicious and service super friendly and patient with my family. We went to the sing a long with Chip & Dale to roast s’mores but didn’t stay for the movie b/c it was late and we needed to put the kids to bed so they would wake up early for the first park the next day. We visited each park M-Th and took Friday off to visit the lodge via ferry to watch the geyser there explode. We tried to reserve archery Sunday for Friday afternoon but it was full. We were placed on the waiting list which you can’t do over the phone but at the bike barn but unfortunately everyone showed. The attendant says the day before they had several cancel or no-shows.

Pros:

Clean, lots to do, friendly staff and community of campers.

Cons:

Not so quiet

Reviewed by epelfrey5 Review Date: 06/13/2019

Very nice. Best campground I’ve ever stayed at!! Clean, nice air conditioned shower houses. Good laundry facilities. Shower house and laundry close to most camp site. Great pool!!

Pros:

Clean. Excellent pool and shower houses.

Cons:

It is so large! You have to rent a golf cart or use the buses to get around because it is so large!!

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 04/05/2019

We just got home after 3 nights at the campground with my wife and small dog. Rented a golf cart, the best way to enjoy the park, and had a wonderful time. Never went to a park but did enjoy the boat rides and walking around the Resorts on the monorail. Looking forward to our next visit!

Pros:

Quiet, clean and relaxing!

Cons:

NONE

Reviewed by abayes Review Date: 01/18/2019

We go all the time with our family. Always an incredible experience! I make sure to tell anyone who enjoys camping to go at least once. Even people who don't like camping will have a good time here.

Pros:

Everything! Clean bathrooms, great food and fun. You're at Disney World without feeling the hustle and bustle of the parks.

Reviewed by Volt Family Review Date: 11/05/2018

Emily at the pool on fri, sun & mon is amazing. My kids can’t wait to see her when they get to the pool. She dances and is so amazing with kids!

Pros:

Emily at the pool. Entertainment coordinator/lifeguard

Cons:

Not more cast members like her

Reviewed by survivoramy Review Date: 10/01/2018

When tent camping in FL what do we want? Electric to plug in a fan and clean bathrooms nearby. Fort Wilderness had both and so much more! My brother has a trailer his family camps in and we just have a tent. We both booked and were able to be placed in sites in very close proximity. It was a short walk over to pool area. An internal bus took us around the whole resort. Kids must have shoes to get on bus though...older kids learned that the hard way and had a long walk back from shop area. Kids enjoyed pin trading at the store and watching the Water Parade from the beach at night. Most people do rent golf carts to get around or bring bikes. The night time fire and movie was fun. They did start with trivia but it wasn't too fun because adults will cheat and google answers. We did pack in our own Smore supplies because we didn't want to pay Disney prices for their Smore kit. Campsite had plenty of room to set up and bathrooms was always immaculate and climate controlled.

Pros:

Bathrooms are best ever for a campground. Sites are great with plenty of flat area to set tent and area to park.

Cons:

Pool area got VERY crowded. Some rules aren't enforced and you do need to watch out for golf carts. Not everyone is a good driver.

Reviewed by Disneynerd5 Review Date: 09/29/2018

My favorite place in the world!!! The only place I will camp! I’ve only camped here in tents so your experience will be different if you use a camper or stay in the cabins. The bathrooms are heated or air conditioned based on the weather. Hardly any issues with bugs or animals. I love that it’s so close to magic kingdom and you can take the boats to the other resorts. Super peaceful and quiet during the day. Also you can see the fireworks from the beach and the electric water pageant which is my favorite!!

Pros:

Best place to camp, close to magic kingdom

Cons:

Can get loud if camping next to large groups

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/29/2018

We love this park. I love the campsites on the left side of the main road heading toward the lake. They are very clean. Right side not so much. Whole different vibe that I did not like. Convenience to stores, busses just perfect. We love riding our bikes around. Have only rented a golf cart once and so happened we got a lemon as cart would not hold a charge. Love the restaurants and food. It is a campground so people need to be aware there are snakes, armadillo and alligators around. I always say, if it’s the Deep South and there is water and and swampiness then expect alligators. Staff is very accommodating. And magic happens here as well. Campfire time is lovely. Love to sit on the beach at night and watch fireworks, water parade, etc. I could live here.?. I have stayed here and never gone to the parks and loved it. Love to ride the boats over and catch the monorail around. Love to ride my bike over to The wilderness Lodge and sit in front of the fire with a cup of coffee. Love to see the deer on that trail. Saw a bobcat once and love the Osceola turkeys that roam. Last time we were there they roosted in the trees over our camper one night. Just a marvelous place.

Pros:

Still the cheapest place to stay on Disney premises if you’ve already invested in a camper.

Cons:

Don’t like Disney’s new rule of charging for parking. Don’t like this trend of feeling I am being nickeled and dimed to death.

Reviewed by aaronb Review Date: 09/27/2018

Great place with lots of options

Pros:

The ability to do almost anything Disney related and not have to drive everywhere.

Cons:

Lots of walking if you do not have a bike or rent a golfcart. Bus stops are are small walk and in the summer miserable to wait at.

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 09/27/2018

My husband and I took our daughter and her boyfriend to WDW for a week following college graduation. The cabins at Fort Wilderness were perfect for 4 adults. We had plenty of room in the cabin without tripping over each other. The full kitchen came in very handy on those early entrance to the parks. Took our dirty laundry by golf cart to the laundry mat, clean, well lit and all washers and dryers worked. Very nice not to have a suit case full of dirty clothes when we got home. Lots of fun and free amenities for the young and young at heart.

Pros:

Large resort and not right on top of neighbors. Rented a golf cart, and what a fun way to get around the resort. Mouse Keeping always had our cabin looking fabulous - funny how college graduates looked forward to the clean towels in fun animal shapes!!! Hands down, this is our absolute favorite resort!!!!

Cons:

Our back porch light did not work. Bus home from Disney Springs took about 40 minutes to arrive.