Reviews of California Grill

View Menus at California Grill Dining Location

Children's Dinner Menu

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Asian
Full Service

Explore the California Grill Dining Location: http://allears.net/dining/location/california-grill

Dinner Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/california-grill/dinner

Child's Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/california-grill/child-dinner

Reviewed by mharder Review Date: 03/06/2017

My wife and I ate at California Grill on February 27, 2017. We are repeat diners there, and this was probably our fifth or sixth visit. We were taking friends there for their first time.

As with all of our prior visits, we very much enjoyed it. We had a great table next to the window, where we could watch the sunset and the fireworks.

Our waiter gave us just the right amount of attention. Attentive but with discretion. He was very helpful when it came to selecting a wine and his recommendation was spot on.

My wife and I each had the filet and it was cooked perfectly. Our dinner companions also told us their meals (pork tenderloin and yellow fin tuna) were excellent.

Definitely going back!

Pros:

Food, wine, service, view

Reviewed by tiggeress Review Date: 02/07/2017

I don't know about the reviews that say the food isn't as good as it was previously, since our food was as wonderful as it has always been.

Our server was the best of our trip, gracious, pleasant, efficient, and thoughtful (she brought my drink outside to me unrequested because she thought I would probably want it). I hate when servers approach the table talking, interrupting conversation, and she never did this. Our meal was perfectly timed and orchestrated.

My only, fairly minor, complaint is the restaurant not enforcing its own rules of attire. This is a fancy restaurant, that people pay a lot of money for and plan far in advance for reservations to eat here. There should never be people at the next table in shorts, t-shirts, flipflops and mouse ears (yes, all 7 people). They should be required either change their dress, or be put in a separate room with all the other people who don't want to follow the rules.

Even so, we loved it. This dinner, along with their brunch, were by far the best meal experiences of our trip.

Pros:

As Wonderful As You've Heard

Cons:

People Not Dressing As Required

Reviewed by ChallengerHK1 Review Date: 01/23/2017

I come here on every trip. This is the first time I've felt slightly let down, but that's only in comparison to what I've experienced in the past. This food was very good, but I've had several great meals in the past here.

Pros:

Very good food, wonderful view

Cons:

No longer great food

Reviewed by Tanasigirl Review Date: 09/27/2016

We dined at the California Grill on September 14, 2016, for our anniversary. This was our second visit and the first since the renovations. Both times were seated in a back corner room by the window. So we were not in the main dining room with a view of the Magic Kingdom. However, it was quiet and romantic, and the view from our table was of the fireworks from Epcot and Hollywood Studios. I prefer it to the open, main dining room. We walked out on the top for a view of Wishes.

The renovations have updated the color and lighting, but overall nothing too noticeable. It is still a wonderful, upscale restaurant with the menu to match.

We started with the Spicy Kazan Roll, which was a large portion and the spicy sauce in the middle was to die for! It was almost a meal in itself. My husband enjoyed the swordfish, but my pork was the best. I had never had lacquered belly before (it needs a new name lol), but it was my favorite part. Fork-tender and flavorful.

Excellent service as before and we didn't wait long for our table even though we arrived early for our reservation. It was a very memorable meal.

Pros:

Food with a View

Reviewed by DePasquale Review Date: 07/04/2016

Our excellent server made us feel very welcome and seamlessly paced our meal to coordinate with the fireworks show. A very special overall experience.

Pros:

Very welcoming and accommodating

Cons:

Actually, none

Reviewed by allec999 Review Date: 05/20/2016

CG is a must-do for every trip. This time a slight disappointment as my filet was just a bit overcooked, closer to medium than the medium-rare I ordered. Server offered to take it back, but I declined. It was still delicious, and my wife's chicken entree was perhaps the best chicken dish I've ever tasted. Fritters for dessert were also amazing.

Pros:

Food, atmosphere

Cons:

Filet slightly overcooked

Reviewed by disney 522 Review Date: 03/02/2016

The first word that comes to mind is disappointed - we first ate here 2 years ago and i have been dying to return - i was so excited this time when we were able to fit it in to our trip - however, i will not make another reservation here - first of all, the dress code policy applies to no one! There were the sloppiest looking people eating there - i know we are on vacation and busy all day but i did like the fact that we could have one night of getting dressed nicely(khakis) and have a Nice dinner atmosphere - then the food was not nearly as good as i remember - it was no better than any other higher scale chain restaurant - i did like the new decor and we had a wonderful view of the fireworks but really if i was not on the dining plan i would have been upset for the amount i would have paid for a just ok meal

Pros:

Great atmosphere

Cons:

Not as good as previous

Reviewed by John Review Date: 12/11/2015

We had another great meal at the California Grill. We also had had a great view of Magic Kingdom.

It is a little pricey, but I would recommend eating here to anyone.

Pros:

Great Food and service

Reviewed by Billjo6 Review Date: 10/22/2015

California Grill has always been one our favorite places to eat when we visit Disneyworld. The food is outstanding and the service has always been top notch. We know this restaurant has become popular with families because of the dining plan. As a result, the atmosphere in the restaurant has changed over the years. But, after our experience at the California Grill last night we our eliminating it as a stop on future Disney visits. We requested to be seated in the Wine room as it always seemed to be a quiet haven inside the restaurant. As we entered the room we were nearly knocked down by two young children having a race around the table. The hostess had to ask the parents to have their children take their seats. We were seated next to a family with two older children who appeared to be behaving appropriately for their age and surroundings. As usual, the service was outstanding and the food was fantastic. Everything was going great until the two children at the table next to us decided to have a burping contest. The took turns seeing who could burp the loudest. Both parents were on their phones and appeared to be oblivious of their children's behavior. The contest ended when their server brought the check to the table. The parents never intervened.
When you visit a restaurant of this caliber and expense you have certain expectation about the experience. If you like great food, service and views California Grill is the peace to go. But, be aware of what else may come with this experience. After last night, we will be spending our dining dollars elsewhere.

Pros:

Food, service, view

Cons:

Uncontrolled children

Reviewed by allec999 Review Date: 10/01/2015

Had dinner here Sept 14. CG never disappoints, Food was outstanding and service was as well. The whole fireworks aspect just makes it a must-do every trip. And I want to point out that this time, there were a couple tables nearby with small children who were actually very well behaved! (I've read complaints about loud children at such a nice restaurant, and I've had that complaint myself, so I figured it's only fair to point out the good as well as the bad.)

Pros:

Food, service, atmosphere

Other topics in Contemporary