Reviews of California Grill

View Menus at California Grill Dining Location

Children's Dinner Menu

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Asian
Full Service

Explore the California Grill Dining Location: http://allears.net/dining/location/california-grill

Dinner Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/california-grill/dinner

Child's Menu: http://allears.net/dining/menu/california-grill/child-dinner

Reviewed by Anonymous Review Date: 04/15/2019

Overpriced, average food, no dress code. Despite stating that they have a dress code, there were plenty of diners dressed in shorts and t-shirts. Add screaming kids to the equation and there's no way California Grill is a serious contender to be upscale dining. Won't be back. Can get better meals on 192

Pros:

Excellent server, good views

Cons:

Average food, expensive, over-rated, noisy, no dress code

Reviewed by mangoman18 Review Date: 09/30/2018

After hearing all of the positive reviews for this place, I have to say we were really disappointed with this meal. I will say the view is amazing from the top of the Comtempory. The restaurant itself looks a little dated and sterile for my tastes. I ordered the cowboy ribeye and my wife got the filet. Probably not the best place to get a steak, but we had heard good things about the steaks. I will say that some of the other entrees we saw other people get looked really good such as the pork tenderloin. Our server was friendly but he did mess up are order, which is kind of annoying, especially at those prices. He did get it fixed and was apologetic about it. Our desserts were both good. My wife really enjoyed the chocolate lava cake and my creme brulee was fine. Overall I don’t think this restaurant is a good place to spend your money. There are much better signature restaurants on property.

Pros:

View of the Magic Kingdom

Cons:

Food, service, cost

Reviewed by mhw Review Date: 08/22/2015

My family has visited WDW for the past nine years and Cali Grill has always been a favorite place to go for a nice evening out. However, the past couple of years, the menu selection and quality of the food has declined drastically. In fact, when my family and I rated our favorite meals during this past stay, Cali Grill did not even make the top five. The only saving grace was the location of the restaurant, fireworks and the excellent customer service. Note to Chefs, check out The Boathouse because the food quality and selection is what Cali Grill used to be.

Pros:

Beautiful setting.

Cons:

The selection and quality of the food has declined

Reviewed by Dopey1wa Review Date: 01/13/2015

This use to be our favorite restaurant and we would always go 2-3 times during our stay. I was anxious to see the new remodel that was done since the last time we were there. Total disappointment! The remodel added a huge amount of tables (so more people can enjoy the experience, more money spent). If you are a couple looking for a romantic setting, forget it. You sit in a long row of "couple tables" that are only a couple of feet apart from each other. Barely enough room to walk between the two tables. The room is very noisy with the amount of people they have added to the room. Menu has changed again and was somewhat disappointed in the selection offered. Waiter we had was gone for long periods of time. My water glass (only drink I had) was empty most of the time. Will probably not go back again.

Pros:

view

Cons:

crowded and noisy, menu, waiter

Reviewed by SharW Review Date: 10/20/2014

Definitely has gone downhill. Trying to make menu too fancy. Have gone here each year for the past 12 years but will be taking it off our schedule for next years visit. Waitress was very nice but we get great service and better food elsewhere at Disney.

Pros:

Great view of Magic Kingdom

Cons:

food not that great and very costly

Reviewed by BWK0701 Review Date: 06/23/2014

This is very hard to write since California Grill is one of my all time favorite restaurants. At first we were seated in front of the new kitchen which is extremely loud could not hear our own conversation, after requesting another table we were moved to an excellent location, waitress was nice. Food was not prepared correctly after pointing this out service and food quality went horribly wrong. After almost 2 hours of a very bad experience my party of three finally got out without desert or viewing fireworks. When concerns were brought to management they were basically ignored.

Pros:

View

Cons:

Food and service

Reviewed by Wendy55 Review Date: 01/25/2014

We have made CG a must do for over 30 years and it is always a wonderful experience - not on this past trip of January 10th! We invited 3 couples to join us that had never been to CG before but have listened to us boast on how wonderful it is. What a nightmare from start to finish! Seated 35min past reservation time - waiter was most likely busboy who was pulled to help wait tables - very unprofessional in every way. We asked to try both a white and red wine - bottles were brought to our table 1/2 empty, when we asked for unopened bottles to be brought and opened in front of us we were told - No try first, if you like it then I'll bring new bottles! Only 1 wine glass for table of 8 which our waiter poured and left us to go around to empty tables and get glasses for ourselves! 2 of our guests never received their appetizers. Entree's were wonderful that is the only positive. We had 1 guest with a gluten allergy - when she asked the waiter to speak with the Chef she was told - Order the steak - her response I don't eat steak waiters response - I'll have the Chef steam some veggies for you! Very disappointed with the entire evening and our guests will never venture back again - such a nightmare! We asked to speak with the manager - no luck, in fact we complained to the concierge at our hotel and he also tried reaching a manager at CG - no luck! We will not be back which is sad as we have always made this a special dinner spot when in Disney. Artist Point from now on - fantastic dinner/staff there!

Pros:

Cons:

Service -

Reviewed by WarEagleAuburn Review Date: 01/03/2014

We usually dine at California Grill each trip, but probably won't do so again. The filets were not at all as good as we got at Yahtsman, and were smaller. The steaks came with a tiny amount of odd flavored risotto instead of a potato. I would have liked to have a choice of the side that comes with a $50 steak. The sushi was $24, which is much more expensive than any other restaurant we tried. Our waitress was overwhelmed with all of her tables and the various wine selections--seemed like she was always pouring wine instead of getting us refills on our drinks. The restaurant is beautiful.

Pros:

View

Cons:

Cost for what you get

Reviewed by wdwfan6 Review Date: 12/13/2013

Was excited to go back to the California Grill after the rehab. Change is good, but not in this case. Had a table next to the kitchen, so got to see and hear servers clanging dishes throughout the meal. No view out the window. When the server realized I was solo and not drinking alcohol, the service went out the window. I got extremely slow drive by service (drop a course and run), while the larger tables around me that were drinking received constant checking, smiles and chatting. 30-45 minute waits in between courses. The appetizer was 3 medium sized shrimp for $22. When I asked if they had something a bit more basic for the side dish to the swordfish I ordered (roasted veggies, mashed potatoes, etc), was told they did not have anything. The small piece of seared swordfish was cold, raw and undercooked inside. By the time the server came back, he just grabbed the plate and kept walking. The final straw was when he dropped the dessert menu and made a nasty, sarcastic remark "maybe you will find something here to eat." When I went to leave, the manager asked how the meal was. When I told him my experience, his response was "well I guess you had a bad night." That was all he said, then walked away to glad hand a large group of people. This is the last time I will dine there.

Reviewed by SharW Review Date: 11/14/2013

Dined here on October 16, 2013. We have dined at this restaurant every year for the past 10-12 years. The new look to this restaurant is great. Menu is not as good as in prior years and if you want to make a substitution for one of the side dishes be prepared to pay extra. Had to pay extra for the Truffle Mac & Cheese - was not very good - had better Mac & Cheese out of a box. Food was not as good as in prior years - Yachtsman Steak House is far superior. Waitress was very good. Have always recommended this restaurant in the past, but I even have doubts that we will dine here next October.

Pros:

Atmosphere

Cons:

Food was not as good as in prior years

Other topics in Contemporary